1st Time Lightning Owner Looking for ideas / help

canoexxman

Established Member
I just purchased a 2001 clean SVT Lightning F150 with 45k miles. The only modifications it has is a new air breather, billet grills, and Rouse chrome wheels, For bed liner, and hard bed cover with hydraulic struts.. I am not looking to race it or drive it hard. it is just my new toy.

I would appreciate any advice as to what I need to check and replace with regards to maintenance. Part of my deal was to get a new brake job and the rotors turned as well as service. I am looking to use Mobile 1 30W-5. It currently has Pennzoil Synthetic. Should I stay with the Pennzoil?

I have never owned a supercharged truck so is there anything I need to do to it? I was thinking about taking it to a Ford dealership and have them go through it from top to bottom: tune-up, plugs, transmission flush, radiator flush, etc. Is there other things I need to do with regards to maintenance to make sure it is top notch?

I have got some new Lightning floor mats coming for it and I am looking for other ideas to trick it out without making it ugly so I
would appreciate any ideas and good places to buy parts & accessories.

anybody change out the factory stereo as it has a six disk CD changer currently.

Thanks for your ideas and help.

Have A Blessed Day,
Paul

SVT Phillip

BAD-MPG
Established Member
If you are looking to keep it stock and just enjoy it the way it is.. I'd just do fresh plugs and pull the supercharger and clean it along with intercooler, then add a oil separator.

Since you just got I'd for sure do a oil change. As far as what oil I use Mobil 1 If pennzoil has been used most of its life you may stick with it. Some people don't like switch oils but its up to you..

With the miles I'd say flushing all fluids could be a waste of time and expensive but if you decided to at least you know everything is fresh and up to date..

canoexxman

Established Member
Thanks

I have not picked it up yet as it is getting several maintenance items completed which was part of the deal. I will post some pics when I get it. Do you recommend tinting the windows? If so what % tint on what windows?

You have a very nice truck as red is my color? What kind of grille inserts do you have and where did you buy them? I have silver, but I like the black better.

Can you recommend a good oil separator as I see there are several?

Thanks for your post.

Paul

Last edited:

jaymz

Established Member
Plug job at the dealership????? RUN!!!!!! That'll cost you BIG $$$$

Jim

4a7191a

Established Member
Dig around , maybe a forum me member is close by and can help you with the plug job. If you do any mods. Punisher valve body is about the beat bang for the buck. No retune needed or anything. Takes and hour and feels like 2/10's is dropped off the et.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I have not picked it up yet as it is getting several maintenance items completed which was part of the deal. I will post some pics when I get it. Do you recommend tinting the windows? If so what % tint on what windows?

You have a very nice truck as red is my color? What kind of grille inserts do you have and where did you buy them? I have silver, but I like the black better.

Can you recommend a good oil separator as I see there are several?

Thanks for your post.

Paul

Check on your state laws. If you're willing to bend them a bit, i recommend 20%. Had them on my Stang and I loved them. Not too dark at night but comfortable enough for strong sun(I live in South Florida). My truck has 5% now that it came with; while it's nice in the day, dark nights suck with it.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Welcome and congrats.:rockon:

This is a great link for newbs > http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...look-here-first-before-posting-questions.html

I just purchased a 2001 clean SVT Lightning F150 with 45k miles. The only modifications it has is a new air breather, billet grills, and Rouse chrome wheels, For bed liner, and hard bed cover with hydraulic struts.. I am not looking to race it or drive it hard. it is just my new toy.

I would appreciate any advice as to what I need to check and replace with regards to maintenance. Part of my deal was to get a new brake job and the rotors turned as well as service. I am looking to use Mobile 1 30W-5. It currently has Pennzoil Synthetic. Should I stay with the Pennzoil?

I have never owned a supercharged truck so is there anything I need to do to it? I was thinking about taking it to a Ford dealership and have them go through it from top to bottom: tune-up, plugs, transmission flush, radiator flush, etc. Is there other things I need to do with regards to maintenance to make sure it is top notch?

I have got some new Lightning floor mats coming for it and I am looking for other ideas to trick it out without making it ugly so I
would appreciate any ideas and good places to buy parts & accessories.

anybody change out the factory stereo as it has a six disk CD changer currently.

Thanks for your ideas and help.

Have A Blessed Day,
Paul

canoexxman

Established Member
What are the best spark plugs to use? I have done a lot of reading and research and it seems to be the one piece Champion, but I thought the part number was 7989 and I get different numbers from different people. Some other people say stay with Ford products as it will run better even though it will be a two piece plug. I just want the best plug money can buy, but I do not know what it is. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience with their Lightning will have the answer.

I also thank each of you who had replied as the information has been helpful.

Thanks,
Paul

Rich D

Large Member
Established Member
NGK TR6 is the go to plug for the majority of Lightning owners. For light bolt ons I would gap at .032.

gr850

Established Member
Paul,

If your seats are in good shape consider a set of wet okole covers. Not cheap but a good investment to keep your seats in great condition. They can be customized. As for engine maintenance goes, good oil obviously, above all else good clean 93 gas. Stock rods are the weak link in gen 2's. You'll get the mod bug before long.

canoexxman

Established Member
I am new at this so I am not sure I am at the right place to ask this question. I need a upper and lower front factory grille for a 2001 red Lightning 150. Does anyone have them to sell? My truck has two billet grilles and I want to go back to the factory grille upper with Ford emblem and lower.

canoexxman

Established Member
My new 2001 SVT
IMG_0739.JPG
Lightning.

opie99

Established Member
That looks a lot like my truck except I have the ford racing chrome 01 wheels, nice truck!

Users who are viewing this thread