1st time @ track in 03 Cobra. Not too good.

03DOHC

Established Member
I don't think you did too bad at all for your first time. Buy some ET Street's and have some fun.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
You should be running faster then me or at least about the same, We have close to the same power, but I dont have a ported blower. My best is a 11.7@119. Also you have to get those 60' down in the 1.8-1.7 range. Its very possible. I have some tires and wheels for you if interested!

Established Member
The secret to getting good #s out of these cars is in the launch. If the weather is hot and air quality poor, it will hurt your top speed, but you can definitely work on your launch no matter what the temp. On a 1/2 way decent track you should be able to pull consistent sub 2.0 60's with a little practice. I've always had good luck running 16 lbs in my F-1s and varying the launch RPM depending on track conditions between 3500 and 4500, which usually gets me 1.8s. I think most people who moved to a Cobra from an automatic or lesser weight stick car had a learning curve before they ran the #s they expected. Given your 60's and the high temps, your #s aren't too far off. Practice and have fun and if nothing else works, wait till cooler air comes, like TTA89 said... most guys at New england Dragway make their best #s in the fall.

silvercoffin

Established Member

thats not bad considering your 60fts and missing shifts

With stock tires you should at least be able to get down to around 2.0 or better.

Its hard with stock suspension too and that kind of power. I was all disappointed when I went from 435 to 470 hp and mostly ran slower because I couldnt figure out how to launch. I've only gone down to a 11.68 since. I ran 11.70 with 435hp but I had figured out how to launch and run the car real well with that power.

As much as I want a Whipple, my next mod is going to be axles,pinion snub and an irs brace. Still thinking about a solid rear but no shops around me seem very interested in doing that for me and I can only imagine the cost.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
TTA89 said:
Wait for the fall and try it again. It seems most people in this thread have no idea what you were attempting to do by looking at the MPH. Go back in the fall when the temps are down 30-40 degrees and you'll be where you think you should be. 90+ Degree heat is a waste of time, don't even bother going to the track.

Yep - the heat is absolute murder on these Heaton pullied beasts! Summertime is for bracket racing - fall is for personal bests!

Users who are viewing this thread