1st to 2nd gear "clunk"?

jedwin_70

Established Member
Do any of you guys have the 1st to 2nd gear clunk problem? My 03 has 3k miles on it and has not been abused....... yet :p This clunk happens when I shift NORMAL at cruising speed. If I fully press the clutch all the way to the floor before shifting, it doesn't do it at all! This clunk can be felt but not really heard.

Also, I still have the stock clutch and quadrant. I have been thinking about adding a F/W adjuster and quadrant. I like the reviews on the Fiore kit but I'm not sure if the Fiore F/W adjuster will work with my stock clutch cable. On the Fiore site it says that it works with all "adjustable" clutch cables. :shrug: Can anyone verify this for me? I have searched for an hour or so with no definite results.

Thanks for any help on this,
Jedwin

Emil

Established Member
'03/'04 Cobra drivetrains are notoriously cluncky. You will learn to adapt your driving style to minimize it but you will still clunck on occasion.

jedwin_70

Established Member
Yea, that's what I'm hearing about these trannys. I love the car so much that I can definitely tolerate a clunk or two, I guess :D It just seems odd that when the clutch is fully pressed, it won't do it! Maybe I need to adjust the stock clicky quadrant?

Thanks man.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some drivetrain clunk is normal due to loose tolerances. I hated it but got used to it. Cranking up the radio seems to fix the problem. LOL!

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
You use your stock cable with the Fiore adjuster. I just installed the adjuster and quadrant. I like it very much. However, I doubt if it will solve your "clunking" problem.

Emil

Established Member
It's the spinning of the clutch loading the drivetrain in the opposite direction. If you depress the clutch all the way you also probably take a bit longer to shift which gives the clutch time to slow down.
Check this too, after coming to a stop if you let the clutch out and go to neutral, when you depress the clutch, if you go immediately into gear it will clunck, it you pause with the clutch to the floor for about 2 sec. then go into gear, no clunck.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Emil, your recommendation might help a bit, but it isn't something that the average driver will do on a routine basis. A smooth drivetrain this ain't. The sad fact is that if this were a $50K Cobra we wouldn't even be discussing it. One of the tradeoffs to putting together an affordable (for the masses) performance car (by an American manufacturer). I had the exact same issues with my old '94 Z-28. My son-in-law has an '05 Nissan 350 'Z' that has a very smooth drivetrain. No clunk at all. It's a shame Ford couldn't have done better job.

Users who are viewing this thread