2.3 TVS drivability and long term Shelby GT500

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
I have a 09 Shelby GT500 I already have a JLT CAI, off-road x-pipe, VMP tune, BMR Panhard BAR, LCA and UCA, and McLeod twin disc clutch . I really want to upgrade to the 2.3 TVS off the Trinity 5.8. I'm just concerned about how everything will last. I love driving my car, doing road trips. For example next year I'm going to mustang week, I'm going to drive my Shelby 6+ hours, I don't want to run into any issues with engine and so forth. I know there's post out there about it be able to make HP with it, it can withstand it, and etc. I just want to know is it safe long term and will they're be any issues long term driving? My setup I'm aiming for is the blower, NGK heat range 8 spark plugs, either 72lb or id1000s injectors, either C&R dual pass HE with fans, or VMPs triple pass with fans, stock TB, stock lower pulley. Will I need a BAP with this setup? Also I'm keeping stock TB and Stock lower pulley cause I'm not looking for anything crazy. Just something to enjo. Thanks if anyone replies I appreciate it.

Papaw

Established Member
Your engine is built quite strong from the factory. It will have no problem handling the power you're talking about and will last a long, long time with no durability issues.
Go for it, no worries.

RedZR

Established Member
Thank you buddy, I'm really leaning to it. Will this setup need a BAP or anything I missed upgraded?

Well, I am in the exact same spot. I installed a TVS on my 2008 and its in the process of being tuned right now. I did a ton of research on this and found no evidence that the TVS will shorten the engine life as long as it's tuned correctly.

Good luck

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
I'm really wanting it, what's your setup your running with it? And can you let me know how ends up after the tune, I would appreciate it :)

yellow03cobra

Established Member
heat exchanger you don't need with a stock pulley tvs but it will help
the stock throttle body is a pretty big restriction on a tvs but can be used
72lb or 1000cc is more injector than you need unless you plan on doing 2.40 pulley or more, just buy 56lb 13/14 injectors
voltage booster isn't needed on stock tvs pulley.

are there any long term concerns, no

Imatk

Established Member
The TVS you're talking about is the same as the FRPP (old one) but has a larger elbow and inlet if I'm not mistaken.

I have the FRPP TVS (the old one) and have the stock pulley on it. Well it's the stock kit, FRPP tune, etc.

Ford warrantied the old kit so I'm sure they felt it was within limits.

The only difference you've got on the newer kit (again if I'm not mistaken) is that the pulley is a 2.7 whereas the FRPP kit that I have had a 3.0 pulley.

So you'll make more boost. I imagine they went with the 3.0 because of the lack of knock sensors on the 07-09.

If you wanted to go to a 3.0 you could likely find that pulley, but then you may have to retune... that's a ford question I guess or whomever you decide to have tune the car.

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
heat exchanger you don't need with a stock pulley tvs but it will help
the stock throttle body is a pretty big restriction on a tvs but can be used
72lb or 1000cc is more injector than you need unless you plan on doing 2.40 pulley or more, just buy 56lb 13/14 injectors
voltage booster isn't needed on stock tvs pulley.

are there any long term concerns, no

Ya I was just concerned about it getting enough fuel, didn't want it to go POP!

The TVS you're talking about is the same as the FRPP (old one) but has a larger elbow and inlet if I'm not mistaken.

I have the FRPP TVS (the old one) and have the stock pulley on it. Well it's the stock kit, FRPP tune, etc.

Ford warrantied the old kit so I'm sure they felt it was within limits.

The only difference you've got on the newer kit (again if I'm not mistaken) is that the pulley is a 2.7 whereas the FRPP kit that I have had a 3.0 pulley.

So you'll make more boost. I imagine they went with the 3.0 because of the lack of knock sensors on the 07-09.

If you wanted to go to a 3.0 you could likely find that pulley, but then you may have to retune... that's a ford question I guess or whomever you decide to have tune the car.

I think I'm going to stick to the 2.67 pulley that comes on it, how long have you had your TVS?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I see you are in Georgia, how far from Atlanta are you? One of the best guys to ask would be Bob Kurgan. His hyper link is in my sig. He has done all my tuning since 2010 and all of my cars have always driven "factory like".
He is real good about providing an estimate for parts, labor and the tune.

shelbygt500hoss

Established Member
I see you are in Georgia, how far from Atlanta are you? One of the best guys to ask would be Bob Kurgan. His hyper link is in my sig. He has done all my tuning since 2010 and all of my cars have always driven "factory like".
He is real good about providing an estimate for parts, labor and the tune.

Ya I live in North Georgia, I've taken my Shelby to 1/4 mile mustang for my previous installs. I will keep Bob Kurgan in mind for sure, I've heard a lot of good things about him. Do you have the stock M122 Eaton blower?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
At this point yes. Will be doing a number of upgrades in the near future; Kurgan Cams and Bigger Blower. Will continue to be a street car

Users who are viewing this thread