2.4 upper or 15% lower

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
Question for you guys and gals. Back a few years ago, the common mod was an upper pulley swap. Now it seems on the 2013, the the lower is the most common. Why?? They are both going to spin the supercharger approx 18000 to 19000 rpm. I think any ways. Some worry about belt slip on the upper 2.4 pulley. How about any of the nightmares of the lower pulley taking out the crank shaft?? Which mod is safer? Which mod will produce more power? I am wanting approx 700 to 725 RWHP. Yes I know about suspension and traction. I was use to 706 RWHP with my 2010 Shelby. It hooked up well.
Just looking for any thoughts on the subject.
Thanks guys
Ted.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Lower is the way to go I think. Makes more torque. Less belt slip, win win.

Shhhh

Established Member
I went with Ford Racing 65mm twin TB, JLT 123mm CAI, 2.4 VMP pulley, division x idler and dyno tune and Im making 706/713 on 100. Stock exhaust as well.
Id say you'll be happy with an upper, I know I am and its way too much for stock tires and suspension anyhow.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'm curious about the OP's question as well. With the 03/04 Cobras the upper gave more hp and the lower more torque. I have no interest in the car making more torque, I like the idea of more hp though. Curious why it's not a more common mod.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
no slip with a tensioner??? I have a tensioner on the stock pulley and get a lil slip here and there. Going from 2.6 to 2.4....def gonna slip a lil more. Lower pulley makes more power and really not much slip increase.

Shhhh

Established Member
no slip with a tensioner??? I have a tensioner on the stock pulley and get a lil slip here and there. Going from 2.6 to 2.4....def gonna slip a lil more. Lower pulley makes more power and really not much slip increase.

I never logged it stock but with the division X idler and a 2.4 I didnt get any slip while it was on the dyno this past weekend. Tires spinning on the dyno sure...but no belt slip. I believe it can happen and will so but I wouldnt say its a common occurrence.

BOD89LX

Established Member
I did the 2.4 upper as well and added a metco idler and don't any slip that I can tell but I am sure there is some but not enough for me to worry about it, I plan to log a pass at the strip and see how much slip I get on a gear change as that is where it is most lilkey occur .

PARTSDUDE

Established Member
Sounds like we have people on both sides of the fence.
The upper is easy to do myself in my garage. The lower is a bit much for me in my garage without a lift. On my 2010, I Installed a 2.9 whipple. Beautiful unit. Great power. Not enough whine. This time around, I want the whine. My 03 cobra screamed. I missed that sound.
That is my issue. Want the sound along with the power.

BOD89LX

Established Member
The upper is easy to do myself in my garage. The lower is a bit much for me in my garage without a lift. On my 2010, I Installed a 2.9 whipple. Beautiful unit. Great power. Not enough whine. This time around, I want the whine. My 03 cobra screamed. I missed that sound.

I can tell you that it will scream with a pulley and a CAI my blower is louder then my exhaust from inside the car.

Shhhh

Established Member

Not as loud as my '03 2.8KB Cobra but with a pulley and intake it is a lot louder thats for sure.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
HOw much boost are you guys seeing now with the upper?

I'm guessing the boost gauge stops at 20.0 psi cause i'm pegging it.

Superhawk2002

Established Member
Going with the upper just because it's easier.

EDIT: And much cheaper for damn near the same increase in boost/power/torque.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Well I have a stock gauge still and its peg. I have full exhaust so I guess I am losing a few PSI on the boost, but I would guess I am somewhere at 17~18 with the 2.4.

The Dyno session was canceled today, due to the dyno being broken. Hopefully it will be back up tomorrow or Saturday so I can finally see what I am putting down.

Also I agree with Lethal. The upper I thought was for boost/power and the lower was for the TQ number. I can spin 315's 20's now from 40~50 rolls....so lord knows I do not need any more TQ

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
how is it cheaper, considering you need an idler, tensioner, and removal tool?

Depends on the size of the upper for the Idler/Tensioner. Puller is needed sure. So lets 300 bucks. (By the BY thats for a 2.4 200$ also have seen them for 150 $ and the puller 100$)

Lower. 550$ on the forums. More in store. Need a lift and tools to get it off. So shop time. So lets say you have a bud with a shop. You still payed 550 $

550>300 in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread