2.6 Pulley/Evo Tune - w/pics of Install

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
I posted this on 2 sites, sorry if youv'e already seen it.

Well I finally got my 2.6 pulley installed today and it only took about 2 hours to complete (I think I could do one in about an hour now) because I took my time and was careful not to screw anything up.

Took some pics during the install to make it easier for those of you who will be doing your own pulley install soon. It was vey basic and easy with only minimal tools.

All I can say about my car is that it is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ANIMAL NOW! I can't believe the power increase I got from this pulley and new tune from Evolution, I didn't expect it to be such an improvement... If you are planning this mod in the future, DON'T WAIT! You won't be sorry and if you do wait you will be sorry you didn't do it sooner! It's unbelieveable.

On to the install...... 1st thing to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal and remove the JLT intake (it's not necessay to mess with the strut tower brace at all).
IntakeOff1.jpg

Next I removed the spark plug coil covers (two bolts each).
Pully1.jpg

CoilCover1.jpg

Then I disconnected the wiring clips from the coils and simply pulled the coils off of the spark plugs.
Coils2.jpg

Coils1.jpg

Next I removed the OEM spark plugs and installed the new ones I got from Evolution (must be gapped at 0.32), installed the coils and the wiring clips back onto the coils and then replaced the coil covers back on the valve covers and tightened the bolts.
Plugs1.jpg

Then I used a 3/8" socket drive with a 3" extention (square hole in tentioner) and pushed the s/c belt tentioner down (clockwise) and removed the s/c belt from the s/c and moved it out of the way. Sorry no pics of this since it was under the coolant hoses (I did not have to remove anything or any of the hoses for this mod at any time). Next I set up the pulley removal tool as directed and placed it on the OEM s/c pulley as directed.
PulleyPuller1.jpg

PulleyPuller3.jpg

Then I removed the OEM pulley (really easy / no problem at all) and it was in perfect condition (no damage) and can be re-used again in the future if necessary.
PulleyIsOff.jpg

Snout1.jpg

Next I heated the Metco Pulley Hub in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes as instructed and set up the pulley hub installer (came with the puller). 10 minutes later I removed the hub from the oven (using leather gloves) and carefully pressed it on as directed in the instruction sheet that came with the puller and the pulley.

Sorry I didn't have any help so I couldn't take pics of this process as it happened and I missed pics of the hub because it was really hot and I didn't want to stop in the middle of the process. I did take a pic of the hub on the snout but it didn't come out (sorry).

After pressing the hub on the s/c snout (as I waited for the hub to cool off) I removed the three bolts below the pulley and installed the new idler with the three new (longer bolts) and tightened them up.

The Idler is adjustable (after bolting it on and putting the belt back on) but mine came perfectly adjusted for the 2.6 pulley so I didn't need to adjust it later (my belt did not rub at all).... but I did have to tighten the adjustment bolts on the idler as they were loose.

Next I lined up the new Metco Pulley on the new hub (tight fit) using an allen wrench (small phillips screw driver would work) since it does not go on without sinching it up with the 5 bolts that hold it on.

Then I had to thread the 5 bolts wihtout the lock washers (too short to thread with the washers) and tighten it up in a criss-cross pattern to snug it up in an even fashion. After getting it snug I took off the bolts 1 by 1 and put on the lock washers and snugged them all up tight.
PullyonHub1.jpg

DoneCloseup.jpg

Next I lined up the s/c belt and pressed the belt tentioner down again (clockwise to loosen belt) and placed the belt back on the s/c (by myself / no help was necessary). Then I replaced the little black screw-in cap on the s/c snout (center of hub/pulley).
DoneCloseup.jpg

Done.jpg

Next I replaced the negative battery cable and visually checked the allignment of the s/c belt, installed my new 2.6 pulley tune from Fred at Evolution and started this bad boy up!
DoneDark.jpg

Took a shower, put away the tools and took it out for a 2 hour drive! DAMN THIS THING IS UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Boost guage is pegged and tires spin and S/C whines like never before!

I would like to thank Fred at Evolution for all his help and thank all of you for everything youv'e done for me (I have been inspired by those of you before me who have already done this mod and entertained by all of you here on svtperformance.com).

For those of you contemplating this 2.6 pulley mod, you will be simply amazed by the power increase and your car will feel as if it was made to run this way! GO FOR IT~

Last edited:

Jay G

Established Member
Looks like you do good work nice job,what numbers should you be putting down? Nice car btw...

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Jay G said:
Looks like you do good work nice job,what numbers should you be putting down? Nice car btw...
Thanks, not sure yet..... maybe 525rwhp?? Gotta get it dynoed now.

Greg@RET

Established Member
You should make at least 550 rwhp :beer:

I think this is the first GT500 write up I have seen :rockon:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Greg 1320' said:
You should make at least 550 rwhp :beer:

I think this is the first GT500 write up I have seen :rockon:
550 would be SWEEEEEET! Thanks :beer:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Very nice!! I would expect you to make at least 550rwhp with your new setup. :beer: :rockon:

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Hey thanks to all of you, I'm really happy when I'm behind the wheel now... I should have done this way back when I got my JLT intake.

jayiii

Speed Enthusiast
Established Member
Great write up. I was curious about how the idler assy went on. Thanks a bunch for that, and I am definitely purchasing the kit. I'm goin with the stage 4. Thanks again!!

jayiii

Speed Enthusiast
Established Member
Great write up. I was curious about how the idler assy went on. Thanks a bunch for that, and I am definitely purchasing the kit. I'm goin with the stage 4. Thanks again!!

TAHOE GT

Established Member
jayiii said:
Great write up. I was curious about how the idler assy. went on. Thanks a bunch for that, and I am definitely purchasing the kit. I'm goin' with the stage 4. Thanks again!!

The idler installs VERY easily. Three bolts out and three allens in. It helps to have a long allen wrench, or a allen socket/ratchet. Reinstalling the belt is easier with two people.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
TAHOE GT said:
The idler installs VERY easily. Three bolts out and three allens in. It helps to have a long allen wrench, or a allen socket/ratchet. Reinstalling the belt is easier with two people.
Yea I used a 4" individual allen wrench to put the idler on.

Last edited:

Angel

aLL JaCkeD uP
Established Member
1BADGT500 said:
Hey thanks to all of you, I'm really happy when I'm behind the wheel now... I should have done this way back when I got my JLT intake.

Congrats. :beer: Let us know your driving impressions and a Dyno Chart if you run one. 550 at the wheels is possible on the stock motor and still safe with the stock rev limit. Ford engineers and Roush told me back in August she can be safe and the would consider to put up a warrenty up to 675 bhp. That would be 570 at the wheels. Henceforth, Roush has began to market two power level upgrades to the GT500 RoushCharger system.

GT500R

Established Member
Angel said:
Congrats. :beer: Let us know your driving impressions and a Dyno Chart if you run one. 550 at the wheels is possible on the stock motor and still safe with the stock rev limit. Ford engineers and Roush told me back in August she can be safe and the would consider to put up a warrenty up to 675 bhp. That would be 570 at the wheels. Henceforth, Roush has began to market two power level upgrades to the GT500 RoushCharger system.

Where is the info on that RoushCharger ? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread