2.76 Pulley Supporting Mods Help

MeanO3

Established Member
What's up guys? I have been a member since a few months after I bought my cobra and I'm finally getting the winter time itch. I haven't really done a whole lot of modification to any car that I've had just maintenance so I'm because blind here except for what some of you have already posted or told me directly. I tried to read as much as possible before posting this so that I don't hit you with completely redundant questions but I'm still so undecided and I continuously get conflicting information when it comes to brands or mods. hoping to clear that up a bit with this thread.

I want to be absolutely certain before I go buying parts and throwing them at the car. Basically right now what I have on the car is just a CAI and header back exhaust with really nothing else performance wise done to the car.

2.76" pulley and idler set
I am looking to do a 2.76 pulley and I want to know whether or not I should get the single idler with the SC pulley or the s/c pulley and the 3 idlers? I have read that the 3 is just for a more secure belt to prevent slip but then others say that the stock pulley setup is just going to explode with the stock ones on there. my questions begin with what pulleys do the idlers replace? is the 3 pulley set that much better? if I do install a smaller pulley do I need to/should I change the SC oil?

heat exchanger
I heard some say do it and some say its useless. opinions on the LFP H.E.? I also have heard some say not to give them a dime because they screwed someone over so I'm also open to other brands especially to support another member.

head cooling mod
is this something I should do before I do the pulley? is it vital regardless? any particular brand over another? not looking to do a custom kit because again I'm not exactly familiar with this whole custom idea.

oil catch can/separator
I keep finding people that do their own fabrication and install so I cant imagine it would be super difficult to do I just don't know what materials to use. I was looking at someone's thread where they created it using braided fuel lines and it looked really good as well extremely neat and hidden. something I definitely want to do and wouldn't mind custom making if I had some more details as far as that build. I'm currently waiting on that person to get back to me about some more specifics for it so hopefully that comes through.

I found on this forum a thread about HP levels and what needs to be done at each level and I don't plan on going over 500hp yet so I figured that fuel could wait until then but I just wanted to run that by you guys seeing as how you have more experience in that area.

I am definitely doing the IRS brace and spark plugs. I have found that almost everyone here seems to have faith in the TR6's so that's the plug I will most likely go with. I have RP Synchromax for the trans and RP MaxGear for the differential so when I do the brace ill grab a new diff cover as well and just swap out the fluid then. also have a new fuel filter just waiting to be installed.

seriously appreciate any information that you guys can provide. gladly accept any and all of it.

Zemedici

Established Member
Alright every car is different (supposedly)

To be safe, i'd wire in a KB BAP (or put in twin 255 fuel pumps) and upgrade the MAF.

No reason to do a head cooling mod really, people are fine without it, but you can do it for added 'insurance' if you'd like. Same situation with the catch can.

Pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune should put you ~450. Just need a tire ;-)

MeanO3

Established Member
Alright every car is different (supposedly)

To be safe, i'd wire in a KB BAP (or put in twin 255 fuel pumps) and upgrade the MAF.

No reason to do a head cooling mod really, people are fine without it, but you can do it for added 'insurance' if you'd like. Same situation with the catch can.

Pulley, intake, exhaust, and tune should put you ~450. Just need a tire ;-)

thanks for the response man. im really not looking to waste any money if I don't have to so if the cooling mod is worth it ill do it sooner rather than later but if it can wait then I just will wait.

the KB BAP is it the single 40amp for the 2003 Cobra fuel system or is it a different one that id need? I read something about a twin bap but couldn't find it anywhere. do you know what size maf is best? I think I remember reading about the lightning/Shelby maf being best for these cars but not sure.

Zemedici

Established Member
thanks for the response man. im really not looking to waste any money if I don't have to so if the cooling mod is worth it ill do it sooner rather than later but if it can wait then I just will wait.

the KB BAP is it the single 40amp for the 2003 Cobra fuel system or is it a different one that id need? I read something about a twin bap but couldn't find it anywhere. do you know what size maf is best? I think I remember reading about the lightning/Shelby maf being best for these cars but not sure.

40 amp is the correct one, it just pulls more power and therefore the pump can work more efficiently.

Most of the guys get SCT 2800s and are good to go.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
op in your whole post you do not mention a tune, a very important piece of the puzzle when increasing boost.

i would only upgrade the maf if your tuner tells you it's necessary, because most cars do not need it with an upper pulley only.

best of luck with it and enjoy the newfound power! its like night and day difference from stock

MeanO3

Established Member
op in your whole post you do not mention a tune, a very important piece of the puzzle when increasing boost.

i would only upgrade the maf if your tuner tells you it's necessary, because most cars do not need it with an upper pulley only.

best of luck with it and enjoy the newfound power! its like night and day difference from stock
I really did skip the most important part didn't i? everyone keeps telling me that once i do the pulley and tune that ill never look at the car the same again. They say how much different it is with all that power compared to stock. I hope i dont get this itch once a year!

I wanted to ask some of you guys what is more efficient or even more valuable: a dyno tune or a handheld with an uploaded tune for the mods im looking to run? Right now i feel as though the car is fast but its getting comfortable so im not looking for crazy power just enough to where im uncomfortable again. A dyno tune is obviously rhe better choice but is it worth spending as much money as i will on a dyno tune?

anyone in the philadelphia, tri state, area that has a tuner/performance shop that they recommend please feel free to add that so i can start looking around for prices and reputation.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
It all really depends.

Just remember, the bigger the MAF the worse the resolution is going to be when it comes to tuning. I run a 2600 MAf with a JLT highboost. When I talked to my tuner he said he was glad that I went with that MAF instead of the 2800/3000 for my power level due to resolution issues and I'm at 530ish to the wheels.

MeanO3

Established Member
It all really depends.

Just remember, the bigger the MAF the worse the resolution is going to be when it comes to tuning. I run a 2600 MAf with a JLT highboost. When I talked to my tuner he said he was glad that I went with that MAF instead of the 2800/3000 for my power level due to resolution issues and I'm at 530ish to the wheels.

Thanks so that kind of narrows down my search at least a little bit. I have a normal K&N CAI not like a highboost or anything special. Would i have to upgrade that for better performance or do you think that the intake i have is sufficient? I was planning to buy an Accufab throttle body and plenum as well so i may need a different CAI anyway.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
There are mixed reviews on the CAI. I personally don't know if any particular one will yield better results than another. I got the highboost intake basically for the looks. I know alot of big blower guys run the RAM air instead.

I would say you are probably good as you are if you dont want to spend the extra cash on a new intake. I had the stock intake on my old cobra and it performed fine over 500HP.

MeanO3

Established Member
There are mixed reviews on the CAI. I personally don't know if any particular one will yield better results than another. I got the highboost intake basically for the looks. I know alot of big blower guys run the RAM air instead.

I would say you are probably good as you are if you dont want to spend the extra cash on a new intake. I had the stock intake on my old cobra and it performed fine over 500HP.

Oh ok cool. Im looking for at least 450 but not too much more than 500. Im looking to drive it on weekends and not need drag wheels. Im not a fan of the track so i wont need a clutch real soon which is good so i have time to save for it! Im fine with my intake's looks for now so thats good to know.

Anyone with a tuner in the philly area please feel free to mention it. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread