2.76 upper and a 4lb lower? HELP!

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
Would it be too much and over spinning the blower if I install a 4lb lower with my 2.76 pulley?

Thanks guys

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
Definitely spinning the blower too fast. Try a 3.1 or even a 3.4 with the 4# lower.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I'm doing the 3# lower w/ my 2.76. Just waitin for my ported blower to return. :beer:

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I'm doing the 3# lower w/ my 2.76. Just waitin for my ported blower to return. :beer:

Let me know this combo works out,Im looking at doing the same thing!!!

Trmin8r

Established Member
In the Jan 04 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords, there was a guy running a 2.8 upper and 6 # lower. I thought that would be overspinning the blower myself. He was running 10.90's with it, so he was probably making pretty good power.

I have a 2.81 upper and stock lower, myself. Haven't yet installed it, as I am waiting to send off my S/C to steigermeir <-or whatever???

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I have a 2.8 upper and had my blower ported. While waiting for that, I put on a 4# lower. After I got it all back together and running it seemed like it was way over spinning the blower. I guess you can do this and get away with it for awhile but I decided to go with a 3.1 upper to be a little safer. You get great low end torque with that setup (507 ft-lbs at 3000 rpm) but the blower rpm is about 21000 rpm on the upper end. Mfg. red line is 15,500. Also, probably making lots of heat if you do this too much.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
combatstang said:
they make a 3# lower?

Marc
The original Metco 4 lb lower is actually about 8.25"+/- in diameter and is considered a 3 lber. The true 4 lb lower is like 8.53".

Most of the fellas running the 2.76/2.80 go with the 2 lb lower and get excellent results. The jury is still out on whether a 4 lb lower needs a larger alternator pulley. Most say you don't need it, but a couple have had to get their alternators replaced.......

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
IronTerp said:
The original Metco 4 lb lower is actually about 8.25"+/- in diameter and is considered a 3 lber. The true 4 lb lower is like 8.53".

The 4# lower I just bought measures 9.25" diameter. Do I have something else by mistake???

Maybe that was why it was so tight getting it to fit. Could this be a 6#? I couldn't imagine putting in a larger pulley. It would require moving stuff like coolant lines.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Get an aftermarket HE just for insurance. You are going to have killer gains with it down low, but upf top the blower is going to be a damn hair-dryer.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
I'm running a 2.93 and a 4lb lower right now and I like the everyday power it gives. I rarely go past 6000 rpm's with this combo on the street because it is so torquey. You'll find yourself short shifting alot. If you are looking for good street fun this combo works great.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
badboy said:
The 4# lower I just bought measures 9.25" diameter. Do I have something else by mistake???

Maybe that was why it was so tight getting it to fit. Could this be a 6#? I couldn't imagine putting in a larger pulley. It would require moving stuff like coolant lines.
My 4 lb lower which is from Mark at LFP, measures slightly more than 8 3/4" gross diameter........If you're at 9.25, then you have a 6 lber......

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
My 3.1 Upper and 4lb Lower makes more power than my 2.93 & 4lb Lower, although the tq is less on the 3.1 Upper, about 15 ft/lb's to be exact.

3.1 & 4lb # 's 511whp 490tq SAE
2.93 & 4lb 508whp 505tq SAE

I may go back with the 2.93 & 4lb Lower

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I got my 3#'er from LFP. I wanted the tq of the 4#'er but was worried about overspinnin the blower. I almost got the 2# but when I spoke to LFP they said they had a 3# so thats what I got. Bad thing is I have no idea what belt length I need.
Tq is the name of the game for a daily driver so thats why I got it. HP will come by way of my ported blower. 5-10hp/tq, to me, doesn't prove any better or worse of a combo. You can get that swing in power just from changing gasoline comp's.

Last edited:

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
LFP has 2,3,4,6,8lbrs!!!!!!!!!!

Im thinking 2.8 and 3lbr if its too much Ill put a 2.93 on top!!!

Users who are viewing this thread