2.8 Kenne Bell - Opinion

KRS

Established Member
I have a chance to buy a Kenne Bell 2.8 Mammoth Liquid Cooled for a reasonable price. It was purchased for another car so I would also need to purchase a tune. I don't know a lot about the Kenne Bell, I had wanted to convert my 2011 to a TVS at some point. So I'm looking for some opinions/advice on the 2.8, and you're the experts!

Joewee500

Established Member
Get the TVS. You will make same hp and more tq on 93. Unless you plan on a built motor and 20+lbs of boost the TVS will beat up a 2.8 KB. You will also have to deal with KB throttle body issues.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on how cheap you can get it and how complete it is (i.e. CAI, throttle body, BAP). A lot of accessories that come with their kit inflates the price. You can price just the blower on their website if that's all you're getting. Kenne Bell moved that blower up to the 3.2, so consider that in evaluating "deal".

KRS

Established Member
Get the TVS. You will make same hp and more tq
on 93. Unless you plan on a built motor and 20+lbs of boost the TVS will beat up a 2.8 KB. You will also have to deal with KB throttle body issues.

A 2.3 was my original plan and I've been looking (in Canada) for a take off Trinity and I came across the KB.

Are there a lot of issues with the KB throttle body?

KRS

Established Member
Depends on how cheap you can get it and how complete it is (i.e. CAI, throttle body, BAP). A lot of accessories that come with their kit inflates the price. You can price just the blower on their website if that's all you're getting. Kenne Bell moved that blower up to the 3.2, so consider that in evaluating "deal".

It's a new unused complete kit purchased for a 2010, so I would just need a tune for my car.

Just trying to decide if it's worth considering. The seller is asking 6K Canadian which I would not pay but also keep in mind that Is equivalent to $4.5K US. Our dollar is in the toilet!

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member
The throttle body is a pretty well known problem. Some never have an issue but others, like me, have the issue quite often. 4500 U.S. Seems like Van could have matched that. I would have sold mine for half that had I know it would give me the hassle I've had. When it runs right it is quite pleasurable.

MattR

Established Member
I think I paid around 4500 brand new for mine during the 25% off sale. Installation was straight forward, very nice parts and we'll written instructions. I've struggled with some knock retard and had many tune revisions I don't think has anything to do with the super charger. It's a little soft down low buy screams up top, famous Kenne Bell sound if you like that. Pop the hood at a car show and all the attention is on yours VS a TVS. I don't know what to say about dyno numbers, they are all over the place for both blowers. Only constant is TQ is always higher on the TVS. The GT500 doesn't seem to need that much on the low end on the street.

Van is great and can get ahold of KB very quickly, on my own I've never gotten a return email. VMP always replies, travels to all the shows.

Last edited:

KRS

Established Member
You've definitely got me thinking!

So taking into consideration that it's a complete KB package, less needing different tune. What do you consider to be a good deal in U.S. dollars?

Or am I just better off to keep looking for a take-off Trinity? I've unfortunately missed a couple that sold recently.

I do like the sound of the KB.

Last edited:

BilletProShop

Established Member
You've definitely got me thinking!

So taking into consideration that it's a complete KB package, less needing different tune. What do you consider to be a good deal in U.S. dollars?

Or am I just better off to keep looking for a take-off Trinity? I've unfortunately missed a couple that sold recently.

I do like the sound of the KB.

get the trinity and never look back, makes tons of power and best value for the buck, i can sell you one or do the complete install and tuning for you
with the correct supporting mods, you can get in the 9.xx on a stock motor....
how do i know.... this is the 9.84 run, to this day Paul stills holds the record for ALL 07-14 6sp. stock motor GT500 with a 9.76 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNfpePsNX5A

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
I'm not going to say one is better than the other but when I looked at the used trinity options and then added in having the 5.8 removed, powder coat, throttle body, fuel pump booster, pullies, cold air intake and so on. The price was less attractive.

Do your research based on what your goals are and what comes in each package. Both will make enough power to blow your engine. Neither one will make you a better drag racer. Both will require better tires for sure.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I have a 2.8 on my car is love it. Makes great power and has a solid driveable tune. Never had a throttle or any other issue. Would buy KB again over and over

Van@RevanRacing

I have a chance to buy a Kenne Bell 2.8 Mammoth Liquid Cooled for a reasonable price. It was purchased for another car so I would also need to purchase a tune. I don't know a lot about the Kenne Bell, I had wanted to convert my 2011 to a TVS at some point. So I'm looking for some opinions/advice on the 2.8, and you're the experts!

Kenne Bell FTW! Not to mention the long term value of the supercharger. Kenne Bell kits retain their value better than any other supercharger available on the market today.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Kenne Bell for Sure, throttle body issues with the KB are 8 times out of 10 tuner related as they run at different TPS voltages.

My 3.6 KB with the "Hard to Tune" 168mm monoblade " idles all day at 750, zero idle hang and is just a smooth if not smoothing than my original setup with a CJ65.

There are a hand full of top calibrators that can set them up with perfect driveability

To the OP PM if you need any help with the install as im in the Barrie, ON area for the next 4 weeks and could give you a hand with the install.....Just PM me if you wanna set something up the install is super easy

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Kenne bell. no issues with mine and install was straight forward. the only thing i did different was run two 10g wires with a relay to power the BAP instead of pulling power from the stock wire. some vid links in the sig

KRS

Established Member
Kenne Bell FTW! Not to mention the long term value of the supercharger. Kenne Bell kits retain their value better than any other supercharger available on the market today.

I've been in contact with the seller of the kit and he bought it from you last year but another baby on the way changed his priorities.

If the kit is new in the box would I still be eligible for KB support and what would you recommend for a tune, KB or Lund? It's a stage 3 kit with a 3.5 pulley.

Joewee500

Established Member
Kenne Bell for Sure, throttle body issues with the KB are 8 times out of 10 tuner related as they run at different TPS voltages.

My 3.6 KB with the "Hard to Tune" 168mm monoblade " idles all day at 750, zero idle hang and is just a smooth if not smoothing than my original setup with a CJ65.

There are a hand full of top calibrators that can set them up with perfect driveability

To the OP PM if you need any help with the install as im in the Barrie, ON area for the next 4 weeks and could give you a hand with the install.....Just PM me if you wanna set something up the install is super easy

We have the same calibrator so that's not the issue. We are trying to get it figured. Apparently mine won the bad luck lotto.

BilletProShop

Established Member
I've been in contact with the seller of the kit and he bought it from you last year but another baby on the way changed his priorities.

If the kit is new in the box would I still be eligible for KB support and what would you recommend for a tune, KB or Lund? It's a stage 3 kit with a 3.5 pulley.

if you like the toaster look, go for it, other than that....

Last edited:

TVS VERT

Established Member
We have the same calibrator so that's not the issue. We are trying to get it figured. Apparently mine won the bad luck lotto.

No we do not have the same calibrator .....but im sure Big Billy will resolve your issues when i mention top calibrators his talents are there with any of the big names

BilletProShop

Established Member
Says the man chasing toaster records :)

and the man says.....this chase is about to come to an end :)
lots of respect for the K/B guys but to each is own i guess, was never a fan and probably will never be but you never know....
i have this big 4.7 toaster collecting dust at the shop, intriguing little piece i have to say...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread