2.80 pulley slip

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Has anyone had trouble with the 2.80 slipping???????if so did you fix it or does anyone have a solution to the problem. Hate to reorder and go with the the lower pullie set.:bash:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by XSTANG
I moved back to the 2.93 pulley and stayed with a 74 inch belt... No slippage.... 14lbs of boost!
How much travel does your tensioner have? And where in it's range does it sit?

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
So are you saying that most are switching back to the 2.93, and are still making the same boost as with the 2.80????

TruBlu03

How can you tell if your belt is slipping, can you feel it when driving or black(belt) residue on the engine?

Was just curious.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
When you change your boost gauge or when you hook up an external during your Dyno, you would be able to see the diffrence.

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by LLCoolStang
How can you tell if your belt is slipping, can you feel it when driving or black(belt) residue on the engine?

Was just curious.

i couldn't tell until i installed an aftermarket boost gauge.
afterwards, i removed my pulley guard -- black soot caked on the inside! :gt:

i'm sure i'm loosing a bit of high-end power.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
What about that guy nitrous pete? He is using a 2.7- upper pulley. He seems to be making some really good power, someone mentioned he messed with the tensioner.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I swapped pulleys in the middle of my dyno tune/chip burn, between a 2.93 and 2.80. With no other changes than the pulley swap, that did two things:

1. Added 3hp and 8 ft/lbs peak.
2. Shifted the entire power curve to the left by about 300 rpm.

Between 2500 and 5200 I gained an even 15hp straight across and 10-20 tq, but by 5500 rpm it was dead even between the two pulleys up to about 5900 when the 2.80 power curve started dropping off slightly faster than the 2.93, especially form 6200-6500.

My TR6's are gapped at .043; i'll probably tighten that down to .038 or so before the track this weekend and see if it helps, but i'll probably drop back to the 2.93 or maybe even pick up a 3.10 DUB pulley from Terry.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
So do you think it was because the belt was slipping or that is how the 2.8 works against the 2.9???????

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
So do you think it was because the belt was slipping or that is how the 2.8 works against the 2.9???????
Yes, was it the belt, or the inefficiency of the blower spinning at those speeds? Maybe an intake temp comparison would help determine that.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
I think it was both- primarily the belt slipping. I've noticed that winding it past about 5500 or so and I'll get a burning smell. Smells like burning rubber. Couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time; I though something was frying from overspinning the blower, then i remembered this post and it hit me- It must be the belt. I'm hitting the track this w/e; then the 2.93" pulley goes back on!

Users who are viewing this thread