2.9 Whipple First Drive

svt1111

Established Member
Just wanted to post up some observations since I finally got to go for a real ride with my GT500 with the Whipple.

Mods are:

2.9 Whipple, with 3.0 pulley
72# Injectors
Lund Tune
Off Road X pipe (stock mufflers)
L&M TB
Whipple 123 MM maf/CAI
4.10's

Car goes great. The blower is very refined sounding, builds boost in an instant. Surprisingly, stock tires seem to hook up rather well with the warm roads now ( a little disappointed!), but overall its very snappy.

My last car made 568 to the tire, but weighed in at 3450 with me in it. So, this power with this weight is a little different. It feels quick, but basically it REALLY feels faster over 80 MPH. Below that, the stock blower with the 2.6 pulley actually would keep up I think, slower, but not much. I think when you get over 500 rwhp, the returns diminish a little faster, and cost more to get there. It goes really good though!

It still needs a final tune, as Jon said the tune is on the conservative side right now, so we'll get some dyno numbers real soon. More interested in seeing how it traps at the track though, personally.

On a side note, I want to thank all my friends who helped me get this thing together, they know who they are, but first and foremost is Scott at Massdiesel for all his install help, and my two buds Jay and Rob. Also thanks to Jared at Lethal for his help and Jon for his help on the tuning so far.

svt1111

Established Member
Haha! lol!

Yeah, well, I figure it goes without saying that 1st and 2nd don't hook. I was refering to 3rd and 4th gears. The other day I drove it, was about 48 degrees out, and it would smolder, and I mean smolder the tires at 2,500 rpm in 3rd! That's what I'm talking about!!!!!

I haven't had it on a dyno yet. Jon said the tune is safe to drive it around now, its basically a preliminary tune to keep things safe. He thought it would make 650 on its first pull before we get into the tune though, at least the way it is now.

The HP sounds like a lot, and I thought it would feel like a lot, but these cars are so smooth I really have to wait and see what it traps in the 1/4 to get a sensation of it I guess. I never had my old car at the track with the F1A blower, but it felt as if it would trap around 134-135, and this car, SOTP, feels similiar to that one. Truthfully, that car may have 'felt' a little faster. We'll have to wait and see. I'm more of a 'go to the track' kind of guy when it comes to measuring a car's performance, more so than a dyno number. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a huge HP number, but I'm more about cruising through the traps 130+.

There's no doubt about it, these cars are heavy and they need all the HP they can get to feel fast. At least to me.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
nice to hear your driving her now. It will only get better!

Had my Vette out last night...what a mother ***er she was...in a good way..lol

09Troublemaker

Established Member
Thanks!

Soon your Shelby will be a bad mofo too!

I recently spent some big $$ on the drive-train/Vette. So I put myself on hold with the 2.9. But at the very least in the next couple of weeks I'll do the 10% lower L/M- TB, Plenum, Mafia and C&R H/E. Should be around 630 #'s. Got to give the Shelby some love too.....

Good luck with the tune, etc;-)

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Sounds like you are having some fun with it, have you tried to shave some weight out of the car yet to help lighten it up?

svt1111

Established Member
Congrats.

Thank you sir!

I recently spent some big $$ on the drive-train/Vette. So I put myself on hold with the 2.9. But at the very least in the next couple of weeks I'll do the 10% lower L/M- TB, Plenum, Mafia and C&R H/E. Should be around 630 #'s. Got to give the Shelby some love too.....

I'd just wait and get the Whipple. You won't feel a big difference in power going from where you are now to 40 or so more. And you'll have spent some dough to get there.

Sounds like you are having some fun with it, have you tried to shave some weight out of the car yet to help lighten it up?

I don't plan on making it lighter at all. Don't want to compromise the comfort factor. Way I see it, I bought it cause I like the combination of style, comfort, and ride, so to me I just assume add more power or do nothing and build a lighter car down the road with equal or more power.

It is fun though, I really love the sound of the Whipple. I didn't know what one sounded like until now, and I'm not dissappointed! Pulls hard in 4th gear, but like I said the first 2 gears are useless, and 3rd is just a little stronger than before.

svt1111

Established Member
Any cooling Mods svt1111 ?

Yup. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

The car has the Evolution upgraded heat exchanger from when I had the pulley/tune setup. Its a really nice piece!

09Troublemaker

Established Member
I'd just wait and get the Whipple. You won't feel a big difference in power going from where you are now to 40 or so more. And you'll have spent some dough to get there.

Its more about adding the torque and having it ready for when the
2.9 & 72lb inj's come. Plus I need the cooling so may as well do the lower
O/D:beer:

svt1111

Established Member
Its more about adding the torque and having it ready for when the
2.9 & 72lb inj's come. Plus I need the cooling so may as well do the lower
O/D:beer:

Yeah, I hear you.

I almost went the same route as you, before I decided on the Whipple. For me, it was a matter of knowing I would do it eventually, so why not now is what I figured.

The O/D lower will really wake it up I think though! Combine that with a good T/B and you'll be rolling.

XtremeS10

Established Member
Yeah, I hear you.

I almost went the same route as you, before I decided on the Whipple. For me, it was a matter of knowing I would do it eventually, so why not now is what I figured.

The O/D lower will really wake it up I think though! Combine that with a good T/B and you'll be rolling.

I can't wait to see the track numbers on it, sounds like a fun combo

I thought about the whole comfort factor for you, if you did the tubular k member, and a arms, you could drop a good 50lbs off the nose without really losing anything some little stuff like that :beer:

kent1

Established Member
Just wanted to post up some observations since I finally got to go for a real ride with my GT500 with the Whipple.

Mods are:

2.9 Whipple, with 3.0 pulley
72# Injectors
Lund Tune
Off Road X pipe (stock mufflers)
L&M TB
Whipple 123 MM maf/CAI
4.10's

Car goes great. The blower is very refined sounding, builds boost in an instant. Surprisingly, stock tires seem to hook up rather well with the warm roads now ( a little disappointed!), but overall its very snappy.

My last car made 568 to the tire, but weighed in at 3450 with me in it. So, this power with this weight is a little different. It feels quick, but basically it REALLY feels faster over 80 MPH. Below that, the stock blower with the 2.6 pulley actually would keep up I think, slower, but not much. I think when you get over 500 rwhp, the returns diminish a little faster, and cost more to get there. It goes really good though!

It still needs a final tune, as Jon said the tune is on the conservative side right now, so we'll get some dyno numbers real soon. More interested in seeing how it traps at the track though, personally.

On a side note, I want to thank all my friends who helped me get this thing together, they know who they are, but first and foremost is Scott at Massdiesel for all his install help, and my two buds Jay and Rob. Also thanks to Jared at Lethal for his help and Jon for his help on the tuning so far.

How loud is your car with the off road xpipe on it? How would you rate it 1 to 10 as compared to the stock exhaust? Your assistance is appreciated.

chuckstang

Established Member

Sell the stupid vette and put more time and money ito the shelby!
:poke:

:rockon:

svt1111

Established Member
How loud is your car with the off road xpipe on it? How would you rate it 1 to 10 as compared to the stock exhaust? Your assistance is appreciated.

According to some friends who I did a 120+ flyby the other day, they said the exhaust is quiet, its all blower noise.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the loudest, its about a 5. Same as stock really.

From what I can tell, its raspy, but the decibel level with the stock mufflers never changes, just the tone changes. I've heard sound clips online of this setup but its sounds better in person.

My wife said today she thought the car was way quieter now, vs. the stock catted X-pipe with SLP deletes. Personally, I love the way it sounds. Actually got compliments from some biker guys when I was leaving the coffee shop today, so it must sound semi-decent if Harley guys like it!

If you don't like the raspiness, you won't like it. See, I do, so for me its perfect. I've had loud Mustangs, and they all more or less sounded the same. The raspiness is definately different, and most guys don't like it, but to me its what makes it unique. I may change my mind down the road, who knows, but for now its great. I'd rather hear the blower anyway, so a quiet exhaust is important to me.

svt1111

Established Member
I can't wait to see the track numbers on it, sounds like a fun combo

I thought about the whole comfort factor for you, if you did the tubular k member, and a arms, you could drop a good 50lbs off the nose without really losing anything some little stuff like that :beer:

I can't wait to get it to the track too, man. SOTP feels promising because 4th gear just rolls, and rolls. You're 4.0 Whipple will pull in 5th like mine does in 4th!

It went 11.4 with a pulley and tune at 124 mph, so as long as I trap over 130 I'll be pumped. Been in the mid 11's and 120's for a few years now and I'm ready to step it up.

I think I might have enough gear with my 28" ET streets too, at least it feels like I might.

Probably going to do a cage before I go to the track though, as my home track is really cracking down on this stuff. I got thrown out for going 11.42 last year!

I hear you on the K member. I'm just not that hard core anymore. With these cars its easier just doing a pulley change and then who cares about 50 lbs!

When you think you're car is going to be Whippled up?

svt1111

Established Member
Sell the stupid vette and put more time and money ito the shelby!
:poke:

:rockon:

If you saw this Vette you wouldn't say that!

If the owner wants to post a picture of it in here, you'll see what I mean...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread