2.93 upper and steig IV #'s?

vin1382

Established Member
what are some of you making who only have a 2.93 upper and a steig IV ported blower? assume normal power bolt-ons. Yes, i know a lower is usually a very nice to have and blah blah blah, but i want to see if its worth just putting a ported blower on my setup now. is it realistic to expect 470-480 rwhp sae?

Good thread. I'm also interested to hear the responses. I'm toying with the idea of going 2.93 upper only this summer with a Stage V. Curious to see if I can get away with stock injectors and maybe even the stock pumps. I'm at 88% FPDC on my 2.8 upper only and no port.

vin1382

Established Member
Good thread. I'm also interested to hear the responses. I'm toying with the idea of going 2.93 upper only this summer with a Stage V. Curious to see if I can get away with stock injectors and maybe even the stock pumps. I'm at 88% FPDC on my 2.8 upper only and no port.

according to stieg i should not have to change my tune or add any supporting mods with only an 2.93 and port. will verify by dyno though.

was just reading about a few cars in the timeslip area that were running 11.5 or so at 121-123 mph with a port and 2.93 only.

i mean, if i can squeeze out 480 rwhp and even if the torque stays the same as it is now, thats more than enough power especially if you dont need to spend a boat load on injectors, mafia, bap. besides, its hard enough hooking on the street with all the torque we make to begin with, esp with cold temps.

according to stieg i should not have to change my tune or add any supporting mods with only an 2.93 and port. will verify by dyno though.

was just reading about a few cars in the timeslip area that were running 11.5 or so at 121-123 mph with a port and 2.93 only.

i mean, if i can squeeze out 480 rwhp and even if the torque stays the same as it is now, thats more than enough power especially if you dont need to spend a boat load on injectors, mafia, bap. besides, its hard enough hooking on the street with all the torque we make to begin with, esp with cold temps.

I'm in the same boat with you. All I keep reading on these boards is that if you don't add a lower pulley you're wasting the money on your port. I personally don't need to be the fastest guy around and I hate having to spend extra for new injectors and BAP. I want a reliable Cobra thats going to have low IAT2s and will have a blower and motor that lasts well over 100k. It made not be a wild setup but I think a 2.93 with a stage V will still be an animal.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I definitely understand where you guys are coming from. I have Ford GT pumps and 60 # and it adds up. And I wouldn't say you are wasting the port with just an upper. If anything it will help keep the temps down plus make some nice power for the $.

vin1382

Established Member
I definitely understand where you guys are coming from. I have Ford GT pumps and 60 # and it adds up. And I wouldn't say you are wasting the port with just an upper. If anything it will help keep the temps down plus make some nice power for the $.

$545 for port + 2-3 hours labor time for ~30 hp = :burnout:. if i wanted to go balls to the wall i would just get a whipple. but as it is i want my car to last just like the 01cobravortech said..and the more stock components the better.

Ontariomystic

Established Member
You'll see approx. 490rwhp and 465rwtq SAE. Your fuel pumps will be maxed out or a few % of duty cycle away from max. Injectors will be okay but you will need a MAF upgrade.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I think with just a 2.93 upper 475ish is more like it. Also the torque would be a little lower.

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
I did 480/455 on Mile High's dyno with a stage IV and 2.93 pulley, ported T/B & plenum, cat-back, and cold air.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
is it realistic to expect 470-480 rwhp sae?
I think that sounds about right.
I want a reliable Cobra thats going to have low IAT2s and will have a blower and motor that lasts well over 100k. It made not be a wild setup but I think a 2.93 with a stage V will still be an animal.
I know exactly what you're saying here. A port isn't a bad idea even if you don't plan on making crazy power. I would do a PPRV delete if you haven't already and that should give you a little more room with the fuel system.

My plan is to port and then spin the blower til I start to run out of fuel and then I'm done.

vin1382

Established Member
I did 480/455 on Mile High's dyno with a stage IV and 2.93 pulley, ported T/B & plenum, cat-back, and cold air.

did you upgrade fuel/injectors/maf? did you port after you already had the pully on, and if so what did the power band feel like afterwards? did it lose some oomph down low, etc?

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
I have a Stave IV, Plenum and TB with a 2.93. Look at my sig for numbers. No fuel pump, injector or MAF mods. Although I am *dangerously* close to the limit.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
FYI, you are at the edge of your stock MAF's capability with a 2.8 upper only. You will max your MAF on a cold day. I did, I now run a BA-2400 MAF.

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
did you upgrade fuel/injectors/maf? did you port after you already had the pully on, and if so what did the power band feel like afterwards? did it lose some oomph down low, etc?
I did all the mods at the same time. Torque and HP both came up about 100 or more. The car felt much stronger even at low rpms. Mile High recommended a Mafia and BAP, but no injectors. I'm very happy with the way it runs. Here's the print out. I already had a Mile High email tune loaded. This was just a fine tuning. Both traces are with the same mods.
Dyno4.gif

xxslow50xx

Established Member
im going with about the same set up 2.93 upper and either a 4lb or 6 lb lower with a ported blower and i was advised from gtr to get a bap and a mafia because they are at there peaks at around 450hp and they also said i should get injectors to but i think the bap and the mafia will be fine but you can never have enough fuel

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I had a RR 2.90" pulley with a Stage 3 port and made 507/472. The car went 11.5 @ 123. Then I swapped it out to a 2.75" pulley and power jumped to 520/497 and I went 11.1 @ 127. I didn't have any fuel upgrades with the 2.90 pulley, but I was right on the edge of needing a MAF upgrade and should have done it. When I put on the 2.75 I installed a MAFia at the same time, but my pumps were still ok. I only installed the BAP for the Nitrous. The port and 2.90 is a fun combo, but I can tell you from experience you're going to want more later on!!! I put on the 2.90 and told myself that was it, then I got a ported blower, then I swapped to a 2.75, a few weeks ago I added a 4# lower to the mix!!!

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I made 470 rwhp 480 rwtq with a port + 2.93, JLT CAI and a magnaflow catback. Stock injectors and stock MAF - the FPDC was in the 90's. Also I think the MAF counts got as high as 950's

Last edited:
I think that sounds about right.I know exactly what you're saying here. A port isn't a bad idea even if you don't plan on making crazy power. I would do a PPRV delete if you haven't already and that should give you a little more room with the fuel system.

My plan is to port and then spin the blower til I start to run out of fuel and then I'm done.

PPRV delete was done this past summer. I wasn't aware that this provided a little room. Good info my friend.

vin1382

Established Member
shoot, so it basically looks like im going to have to do at least a mafia and probably should do a BAP.

if i decided to do the port and add the mafia and BAP, i would have it done at my friends shop due to discounts. would i then be able to just drive the car regularly(not any wot runs to test, no higher 2000-2500 rpms), and take it to a tuning shop without causing any damage? id rahter not pay for a mail tune just to get me to a shop and then pay more for a dyno tune.

Users who are viewing this thread