2 Tint Tickets = Suspended Registration???

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
That would work wouldn't it?

Edit: Sorry guys just realized this was in the donut shop, "new posts" will get you in trouble some times.

Anyway for LEOs and members of the BAR not guys sitting at the bar. Tip of the hat wag of the...something, good day gentlemen. :read:

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
That would work wouldn't it?

If I am reading Iowa law correctly, no it wouldn't. Like Virginia law, the statue seems to apply to ALL motor vehicles operated in the state, not just vehicles registered in the state.

Iowa statute:

321.438 Windshields and windows

1. A person shall not drive a motor vehicle equipped with a windshield, side-wings, or side or rear windows which do not permit clear vision.2. A person shall not operate on the highway a motor vehicle equipped with a front windshield, a side window to the immediate right or left of the driver, or a side-wing forward of and to the left or right of the driver which is excessively dark or reflective so that it is difficult for a person outside the motor vehicle to see into the motor vehicle through the windshield, window, or sidewing. The department shall adopt rules establishing a minimum measurable standard of transparency which shall apply to violations of this subsection.3. Every motor vehicle except a motorcycle, or a vehicle included in the provisions of section 321.383 or section 321.115 shall be equipped with a windshield in accordance with section

Under Iowa Administrative Code 761-450.1(321) safety glazing materials or multiple glazed assemblies thereof intended for use at levels requisite for driving visibility in the motor vehicle shall show regular (parallel) luminous transmittance of not less than 70 percent of the light at normal incidence, both before and after irradiation.

Virginia statute:

46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.;penalties.

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law,it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highwaywith any sign, poster, colored or tinted film, sun-shading material, or othercolored material on the windshield, front or rear side windows, or rearwindows of such motor vehicle. This provision, however, shall not apply toany certificate or other paper required by law or permitted by theSuperintendent to be placed on a motor vehicle's windshield or window.

The size of stickers or decals used by counties, cities, and towns in lieu oflicense plates shall be in compliance with regulations promulgated by theSuperintendent. Such stickers shall be affixed on the windshield at alocation designated by the Superintendent.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Well OP, I guess it's time to move out of your oppressive state. Just don't go to another one like VA.

Last edited:

silver03svt

Established Member
Well OP, I guess it's time to move out of your oppressive state. Just don't go to another one like VA.

PA is just as bad:

Ch. 45 75 Section 4524 (e)(1)

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle

Of course there's also this in PA also:

The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission. The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Pennsylvania is very specific and different for sedan cars and SUV cars or vans.

Tint darkness for sedans:
Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Tint darkness for SUV and vans:
Windshield: No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
Window tint reflection in Pennsylvania
Window tint can reflect incoming light and reduce glare and heat. Pennsylvania window tint law permits a certain window reflection when using a tint so make sure you pay attention to this as well.

Tint reflection for sedans:
Front Side windows: No mirrored or metallic appearance.
Back Side windows: No mirrored or metallic appearance.
Tint reflection for SUV and vans:
Front Side windows: No mirrored or metallic appearance.
Back Side windows: No mirrored or metallic appearance.
Other Pennsylvania window tint rules and regulations:
Pennsylvania does have several other important laws, rules and regulations pertaining to window tinting. They include the following:

Side Mirrors: Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
Restricted Colors: No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
Certificates: Film manufacturers are not required to certify the film they sell in Pennsylvania.
Stickers: Sticker to identify legal tinting is required in this state.
Medical Exceptions: Pennsylvania allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.

So PA tint law is actually MORE strict than my "oppressive" state. Again, it's going to come down mostly to officer discretion.

IA Shelby

Established Member
What % is your tint?

Mine is 30% and I have never had an issue. And yes I live in IA.

Woody6799

Established Member
I would however tint laws in Iowa are ridiculous. Legal % on the side windows in 70% and we cant have any on the windshield.

:nonono: I would follow the law but I don't agree with it, therefore I will just break it and complain when I get a ticket... Cmon OP...

silver03svt

Established Member
:nonono: I would follow the law but I don't agree with it, therefore I will just break it and complain when I get a ticket... Cmon OP...

Pretty much sums it up. I am pretty sure that the Trooper that pulled him over and told him that his registration could get suspended pending another tint ticket knows how that would work.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
So PA tint law is actually MORE strict than my "oppressive" state. Again, it's going to come down mostly to officer discretion.

That is surprising to me, thanks for posting it. I have only heard of enforcement for tint you can't see through, and even that is rare. I don't tint windows in my cars but my last 03 had it already and I did not remove it. I assumed it was legal because you could see through it pretty well, probably 50%. Now I don't think that was the case.

silver03svt

Established Member
That is surprising to me, thanks for posting it. I have only heard of enforcement for tint you can't see through, and even that is rare. I don't tint windows in my cars but my last 03 had it already and I did not remove it. I assumed it was legal because you could see through it pretty well, probably 50%. Now I don't think that was the case.

:beer:

Blown38

Established Member
Good old Iowa. The only place I ever got a ticket while pumping fuel...

Haha Bristol, VA is another bad one. Trooper came off the highway to give me a tint ticket. I was there for the Bristol Nascar race. 3 hours later same cop pulled me over again to ask if i was gonna fix it.

Then a buddy got lit up pulling into a restaurant for exhaust noise. Funny thing was there was a bunch of Harleys there too that didn't get messed with.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
i use to live in california and thats car notzy central. i had very dark side widows infact tinted everything and got pulled over the same week had to remove it. i spend the $125 got it done again and guess what? got flashed again not even 2 days later. went thru same ordeal. been there done that, its not worth the money you will spend in fees or having to go to court. im in nevada now and i believe you can have 35% visability. i have darker and never been pulled over yet in 7 months. if your state is strict its better to just stay legal. i do believe someone should be able to do whatever they want to their own vehicles but the law is the law.

Users who are viewing this thread