20-30 degree weather..

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
fullboogie said:
I did a ton of datalogging at the track, and was within 19 counts of being pegged - in 65 degree weather. Kinda scary since I only have a 4 lb pulley. You guys really need to log those MAF counts before blasting around in the cold weather.

Damn I have a 5#, and been going WOT in colder weather than that here in florida.

Data Logging my MAF counts while driving around today, and thursday at the track.

Did not realize 65 degree weather was considered "cold" enough....
Thank you very much for the info fullboogie, you more than likely saved my motor.:pepper:

assasyn

Established Member
fullboogie said:
This has been covered to death. JJ at WMS had a lengthy post about MAF counts in cold weather being the cause of vented blocks. In short, even a 4 lb pulley can cause a pegged meter in cold weather. Last spring I did a ton of datalogging at the track, and was within 19 counts of being pegged - in 65 degree weather. Kinda scary since I only have a 4 lb pulley. You guys really need to log those MAF counts before blasting around in the cold weather.
+1 I was there. I was actually about to talk about that. Real close, in only 65 degree weather.

fullboogie

Established Member
Our MAF meter is pegged at 1024 counts. I was reading slightly over 1000 counts in the spring. I'm sure I'll hack JJ's explanation, but it is essentially this: when the meter reaches maximum voltage (counts), it defaults to a fuel and/or timing table that is not addressed by the aftermarket tune. A/F goes off the chart, and boom. JJ wasn't saying that this is the only cause of engine damage in cold weather - only pointing out an area that receives little attention.

Just sit back and watch how many "Just blew my engine" posts start rolling in over the next few months.

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
fullboogie said:
Our MAF meter is pegged at 1024 counts. I was reading slightly over 1000 counts in the spring.

That is what I was just getting ready to ask.
What does out MAF peg at.
Is there an "Offical" guide to temp vs MAF Peg Limit?

Sirhc7897 said:
How do you data log? Just got a SCT XCal 2 but don;t really know how to use all the features yet?

Have your truck turned off.
Plug in your XCAL2.
Plug a USB Printer Cable into the bottom of the Xcal2.
Turn your Laptop on.
Plug The USB end into your laptop.
Open Up SCT Live Link Data Logging Software. (If you do not have the software you can get it here:)
http://sctflash.com/downloads.php

Start your truck.
Click the first icon on the left it says "Configure DataLog Items"
Then you click on the left side what you wish to log.
Afterward right click on the Dials and go to "Signal".
Select what you want each dial to display.
Then when your ready to actually start logging data click the second icon up top it says "Start DataLogging"
When your ready to stop logging click the third icon "Stop DataLogging".

Thats it, it will then ask you where you want to save the log file and what you wish to name it.

You can open the file back up in the same software and play it and review it.

I'm still trying to figure out what everything is I'm reading.

Hope that helped.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
OK just a heads up for how close some of us are coming to pegging the MAF...

Mods are 4lb, Stage IV port, K&N CAI, BR7 plugs and catback...

Tonight the air was about 50 degrees and no humidity with a real low baro (great air)...

At 5300 rpms (right at limiter in 3rd) MAF count was 980...

Let me mess around and do that on a 30 degree morning or night and...BOOM I imagine...

Definately a MAF extender of some sort in my near future...;)

(That whole data logging thing kicks ass!!!)

Users who are viewing this thread