2000 cobra r engine

stealth03cobra

Established Member
I am looking at building a 5.4L 4v engine. I perfer it to be cheap and produce the same numbers that the 00 R did. I am having problems finding some of the parts. Is there some sights that i don't know about? Also is the ford gt 5.4L block the same as the 00 R except it is aluminum instead of cast iron? How about the heads? Any other help would also be greatly accepted. I am looking at putting it in a 98 gt. I am also wanting to turbo the car. Any idea how well the engines do with boost? I am also very surprised at the low these engine's compression ratio's are compared to other sport cars.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I am looking at building a 5.4L 4v engine. I perfer it to be cheap and produce the same numbers that the 00 R did. I am having problems finding some of the parts. Is there some sights that i don't know about? Also is the ford gt 5.4L block the same as the 00 R except it is aluminum instead of cast iron? How about the heads? Any other help would also be greatly accepted. I am looking at putting it in a 98 gt. I am also wanting to turbo the car. Any idea how well the engines do with boost? I am also very surprised at the low these engine's compression ratio's are compared to other sport cars.

Seems to me that there is a starter mounting issue between the two blocks, or something?

R

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member

your first problem is the price it is NOT gonna be cheap.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Not only can't you find replacement parts for the 2000 R motor, when you do find them, BE PREPARED TO PAY THROUGH THE NOSE FOR THEM! :read::idea:

BLK93GT

Established Member
I really like there carbed DOHC motors...be sweet in a older stang!

WEBER%20BLACK%20008.jpg

1967eleanor

Established Member
karkraft sucks i spent $500 dollars on their alt relocation kit and all the required things to relocate the alt on my 99 cobra, i called asked if it would fit they said it would. i get it and not only did it not fit my car, but the bracket wouldn't clear the power steering and brake lines, It took me 3 and a half weeks to re engineer the kit. and after my phone call they put up a disclaimer saying it would not fit, Great thanks guys. i also had to buy about 150 dollars in other stuff that they did not mention. So overall i would never do business with them again.

Last edited:

stealth03cobra

Established Member
well your cheap and my cheap may be 2 different things. I am looking to spend about...10k or so. i know the 03 navigators had 4v heads but they are only rated at 300hp.....if that is almost the same engine what makes the 00 r engine get the extra 90? intake, tune, exhaust?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
well your cheap and my cheap may be 2 different things. I am looking to spend about...10k or so. i know the 03 navigators had 4v heads but they are only rated at 300hp.....if that is almost the same engine what makes the 00 r engine get the extra 90? intake, tune, exhaust?

The last '00 R intake went for somewhere in the $3,500.00 range. That was the intake!

I would consider $10k cheap. You won't get close for $10k but good luck with it!! :beer:

stealth03cobra

Established Member
i wasn't try to be a smart ass or anything...was just saying...well what should i do? what is the difference in the 03 navigator 5.4L 4v and the 00 cobra r 5.4L 4v? Can 4v heads be put on a 5.4L with 2v heads? i know the 4.6's aren't interchangeable. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
i wasn't try to be a smart ass or anything...was just saying...well what should i do? what is the difference in the 03 navigator 5.4L 4v and the 00 cobra r 5.4L 4v? Can 4v heads be put on a 5.4L with 2v heads? i know the 4.6's aren't interchangeable. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

No problem. Let's review here. This is what you originally posted. I have highlighted in BOLD the items of concern:

You can't buy ANYTHING from Ford ('00 Cobra R motor related) unless it was used on other Cobras. Such as IAT's, fuel rail sensors, PCV valve etc. etc. If you're looking for '00 R Specific parts like these, you can't buy them. Not pistons, not rings, not rods, not heads, not intake, not air filter, not air filter housing, not headers or any of the good stuff. At the Ford parts counter, they look at you like you have three heads if you ask for ANYTHING 2000 Cobra R related.

You can buy a truck or Nav 5.4 iron block which is what the R block is. Ford GT aluminum block is quite a bit different and you can't get them from Ford anymore either. You can buy Ford GT heads (I'm pretty sure) and you'd have an equal head. Intake is very difficult and expensive to find. Also, I would not consider 10.5-1 low compression! :read:

To summarize, if you want to build up a 5.4L motor, that would not be very hard. But your horsepower output will be reflected accordingly. If you want to build an '00 R motor that puts out power like the R motor did. Be prepared to shell out approximately $15k-$20k to duplicate it! :idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Buy any 5.4 block you want, Help yourself by selecting a 5.4 which will go into whatever vehicle you're using. i.e. If you're stuffing this into a 94-04 use the 03 NVH block, if 05 up use the gt500 block. Or stick the FGT block in if you really want.

Get a forged crank (not FGT), a navi timing cover, forged or billet rods and the pistons of your choosing. You can have a set of cams ground to the factory R's specs, or go custom.

If you wanna use an "R" head get FGT's or GT500's, be prepared to build an intake to match. Or wait it out until an R pops up.

Option 2- Get a set of 03/04 cobras, have them ported and get in contact with Birdman or someone in OZ and snag a boss intake, looks very similar to the R, with similar performance. I'll bet option 2 could be had for 10K, with the results you're looking for.

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Seems to me that there is a starter mounting issue between the two blocks, or something?

R
It has the provision, it needs to be machined out tho. Also setup for dry sump, so you can machine it to accept the Ford wetsump, or run an external wet sump, but you'll still need to drill a dip stick hole.

Last edited:

1967eleanor

Established Member
I would get in contact with birdman and boss330 they will make it happen, just be prepared to pay. good luck to you sir

Thanosis

Your best bet on getting close to the 00 R would be from Ford Australia's Ford Falcon GT. It is a 4v 5.4L with the 2002 model had like 350hp, 2006 model 389hp, and the newest is 405hp I think. Now getting it from Australia to here most likely wouldn't be cheap but I would bet it would be less than an actual Cobra R motor.

I wanted to do this in my Lightning but haven't even looked other than finding the car that has what I want in it already.

BTW it is one ugly as sin "Sport Ute" kind of a modern Ranchero.

Last edited:

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Have you considered maybe getting a GT500 engine, might be cheaper in the long run

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
The 5.0L "Cammer" engine that is based on the 4.6L sold through FRPP makes MORE horsepower than the stock '00R 5.4L FWIW:poke:

Of course I think they are around $15,000

Fourcam330

Established Member
The 5.0L "Cammer" engine that is based on the 4.6L sold through FRPP makes MORE horsepower than the stock '00R 5.4L FWIW:poke:

Of course I think they are around $15,000

It also has less potential to make additional power and more importantly torque than the 5.4L R motor, and isn't as structurally integral as a stock bore/stroke 5.4.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
It also has less potential to make additional power and more importantly torque than the 5.4L R motor, and isn't as structurally integral as a stock bore/stroke 5.4.

I agree, but he said in the first post that he was just looking for something around the same numbers as a '00R. If he would have said that he wanted to build a '00R 5.4L replica and get as much power out of it as possible then I wouldn't ever have suggested the 5.0L:poke::p

:-D:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread