2000 Mystic Gold Cobra

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Never heard of 2000 cobras existing before, even in concept form. Very interesting, and if you can find one, that's a very rare find indeed.

I know for a fact, however, that 2002 model year cobras exist in Australia, but they didn't come in any other colors than what the US versions had. I've seen a yellow one, a red one, and a black one.
There were a few major differences with the Aussie versions. The first, and most obvious is that they were all right hand drive. They also were fitted with disgusting looking second set of driving lights in the front bumper (to spot razorbacks and kangaroos when driving through the outback late at night), but also had ricey looking side marker lights above the cobra emblems.

Only a few hundred were made. If I was down under, I'd rock one.
You can see a few pictures here:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/2002-mustang-cobra/
http://www.countrycars.com.au/Mildu...&3=1040303&ref=569063&back=51&caller=53&fi=10

I'd like to learn more about the 2000 cobras and possibly get my hands on one.

Homer

My bad. I meant to say 2002 Cobras in AUS. I remember it was one of the off years that AUS had them.

dodfox

I have found an ad in TheMustangSource.com saying they (Ford) were planning to produce 2000 Mystic gold Cobras (both hardtop and convertible) in 2000. All Cobras except the 300 Cobra R's were cancelled for that year. Don't know what happened to the prototype(s). If they were never serial numbered, they are usually scrapped.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Really? you revived a thread that is more than 4 years old and you didn't even link the article and its your first post...

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
Ford must have been serious because they made a brochure for the 2000 SVT Cobra lineup---I have one.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Ford must have been serious because they made a brochure for the 2000 SVT Cobra lineup---I have one.

Interesting to point out. I also have a brochure that the dealership gave me when I bought my 99. They tried to tell me that I should wait for the 00 instead of buying a leftover 99 because the 00 was all that and a bag of chips.

There was a similar story for the 2002 SVT Cobra as well. To put it mildly, it didn't meet the performance expectations. Rather than risk tarnishing their reputation even further on top of the 99 issues, the boss simply cancelled it at the last minute by throwing bags of dog food in the back seat.

Here's an interesting quote From the December, 2012 issue of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine, By Jim McCraw

The plan was to make gradual, continuous improvements on the Cobra for three consecutive years, but after an engineering test ride in Death Valley in the '02 prototype, Coletti bought a six-pack of dog food, threw it into the car, and told his team to feed the new car because it was a dog. Later, he said, "This is no Cobra. It's barely a garter snake!" And it was so deep into the game that it effectively killed the '02 Cobra. Coletti wouldn't release the car. After some wrangling with Ford Powertrain, SVT decided to build the Terminator 4.6-liter supercharged V-8 engine for the Cobra, as he says, "to put an end to the Camaro."

Read more: Looking Back On Special Vehicle Team At 20 Years - Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords Magazine

During roughly the same time period the 02 SVT Cobra was cancelled, the Powertrain Research & Advanced Engines division was working on that sick DOHC 4.6 based 351 V10 mule that was never produced. Maybe someone should have sent them an interoffice memo.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
During roughly the same time period the 02 SVT Cobra was cancelled, the Powertrain Research & Advanced Engines division was working on that sick DOHC 4.6 based 351 V10 mule that was never produced. Maybe someone should have sent them an interoffice memo.

V10s just sound terrible. It never would have flown trying to sell to a muscle car crowd. The ONLY v10 I've ever heard that sounded halfway decent was the one ford put in that GR-1 concept a few years back.

Saleen89559

Mystic Cobra Expert - Mystic-Cobra.com
Established Member
Sorry for extending a very old topic.

Last I heard, BASF, the paint manufacturer has the 2000 Mystic Gold Cobra. Ford didn't want the car to get out in the public, so they revoked the VIN# with the Department of Transportion. If anything, someone will have to wait till 2025 to even attempt to get the car on the road, so it can be classified as historical or something other to legalize it.

BASF has sold off their 2 tester cars for the 96 Mystic paint, both are 1995 GT Convertibles, one is owned by a man in Wisconsin, other is owned by a BASF employee. I'd love to get my hands on one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread