2000 R vs. 2001 Z06 DYNO

bobby1

Established Member
This comming sat. a bone stock 2000 R and a bone stock 2001 Z06 vette will battle for the highest dyno #s! Both cars have around 2500 miles. I will post if everything comes true. Should be interesting!:lol:

kevin

we know the "published" hp for the r was 385. the 2000 z06 was also 385. was it not the 2001 z06 which was boosted to a "published" 400?

(published by the manufacturers)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Cobra-R
My bet is on the R. :beer:

Me too. Mainly because the Z06 would smoke us on the track if they had as much power and being almost 400 pounds lighter!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
dyno

my r dynoed at 381 before the addition of the bassani exhaust. my bet is on the R!! yes, i am prejudice.

bobby1

Established Member
I think it will be close. Back in 2000 almost all the mag. articles the Z06 had the fastest car but because the R weighs 300 lbs. more.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
we know the "published" hp for the r was 385. the 2000 z06 was also 385. was it not the 2001 z06 which was boosted to a "published" 400?

(published by the manufacturers)

I checked the h.p. rating for 2001 and 2002 Z06's at "Supercars.com". They list the 2001 Z06 to be rated at 385h.p.@6000. The 2002 is rated at 405h.p. by their listings.
It should be an interesting comparision. I personally think it "should" be close with "maybe/hopefully" a larger number posted by the R. The weigh difference is the main factor that is spoken about in the side-by-side magazine comparisions done when these cars were new. A 300-400lb heavier R made the difference in the 1/4 mile. The weight difference will not be a factor in this performance test.

BTW - I have found a Z06 vs. 2000R magazine feature/test in "Popular Mechanics" of all magazines!! They used a Yellow Z06. Their Popular Mechanics tags are bolted in license plate frames on the front of each car. The opening two page spread is at the end of the drag strip concrete looking back at the "tree" and the two cars. The Z06 and the 00R are heating up their tires in the water pit. Smoke is rolling from each car!, maybe they have just launched, I'm not sure. It looks cool and is a good article! Popular Mechnics, I could not believe it! Popular Mechanics also did a 1995 R mention with pictures in a 1995 magazine, but it is not a "feature", just some pictures and info., but it is cool too!

Robert

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
Me too. Mainly because the Z06 would smoke us on the track if they had as much power and being almost 400 pounds lighter!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Bruce,
As you know, it's mostly driver. If you keep up to a stock 01 Z06 on the track, you are out driving them. The Z06 is a totally different car to drive, I am anxious to see what it will do this weekend. I drove the car on a small autocross type track and it is totally a different beast that is going to take time (at least for me) to adjust to. It's weird to drive a car that doesn't understeer like a pig.

Brian

PS: Oh, and you only have to drive the car around one corner to feel the weight difference.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Re: dyno

Originally posted by scottmartin
my r dynoed at 381 before the addition of the bassani exhaust. my bet is on the R!! yes, i am prejudice.

Scott:

Is that stock? Were there any mods before that dyno? I think 378 was the highest stock number I have seen?

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
I'm anxious to see how this goes. A group of us did a little road run on Memorial day. One of the cars was a 2000 R and another was a new Carrera AWD rated @ (I believe) 450 h.p.. The R and the Carrera had a couple chances to do rolling runs during our drive. When we stopped at the end of our drive the Porsche driver commented on how impressed he was with the fact that the R could actually pull away from him. I don't believe the R can really out accelerate the Carrera in an even race, but it would lead me to believe the R is under rated at 385.

Darin

scottmartin

Established Member
dyno

bruce, it was almost stock. i dynoed with an x pipe and some computer work. i would like to think that with the new catback i might be knocking at 400. what do you think?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Re: dyno

bruce, it was almost stock. i dynoed with an x pipe and some computer work. i would like to think that with the new catback i might be knocking at 400. what do you think?

Scott:

Ok, that explains it. I'm not sure you can get an ADDITIONAL 19hp out of a different cat-back? Is the current cat-back the Bassani? What do you plan on going with?

scottmartin

Established Member
bruce, the original borla catback was on the car when the dyno took place. the bassani non cat x was on. my thought was after the bassani catback was installed, i might p/u a few new horses. i know 19 might be on the way high side. for some reason i want 400 at the wheels.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
bruce, the original borla catback was on the car when the dyno took place. the bassani non cat x was on. my thought was after the bassani catback was installed, i might p/u a few new horses. i know 19 might be on the way high side. for some reason i want 400 at the wheels.

Well Scott, if that's the case, you just might pick up the 19 you need with a free flowing cat-back? That factory Borla set up was a joke!

I feel the same about 400 being "The Magic Number"! ;-)

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Horsepower difference?:bored: Who cares???:sleeping:
I agree with Brian - it's all about the driver!!!

Heck, I had a vette student at VIR with 430 RWHP/400+ torque and we were passed by a student in a Subaru WRX. It was really embarassing because Ted was instructing in the Subaru!:bash:

scottmartin

Established Member
fred, i agree, on the track you cant tell the difference between 250and 350 horses . the driver is most important. for me, 400 horsepower is kinda magical. the original thread talked about what car would dyno more. you guys have fun this weekend. scott

Last edited:

03'Darin

Established Member
I don't care about the difference in H.P.. I'm just curious what a stock R dyno's at. As much as I love the 2000 R car I have never seen a stock RWHP dyno number from one.

Darin

griffined

SVT driver
My 00R's bone stock dyno was 343 SAE rwhp 352 TQ.

The same dyno after Bassani catted X-pipe, and catback is in my sig. That includes an Autologic chip. The numbers after the exhaust upgrade but before the chip were about 10-15 less than the numbers in my sig. The majority of gains were from the exhaust upgrade.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread