2000+ rpm idle after accufab install and tune

keroseneburner

Established Member
03 cobra, sct2600 maf, jlt cai, accufab single blade tb, 2.81" sc pulley,60lb injectors, boosta pump. Got a bama x4 tuned for all of this. Start car idles 2000+ rpm. Go to datalog for bama and sctx4 bricks on me. While I am waiting for x4 repairs anything to look at or check that might cause the high idle? TPS was set to 195. It is almost like the tb is leaking too much air past the blade. Accufab says no to adjust it. The iac worked fine on the factory tb.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
OK. Does the TB "Stick" at all when the car is not running? Does it open and close freely when the car is off?

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I added a throttle return spring to mine, and it helped. However, I never got my Accufab to idle correctly and gave up. It's been sitting on my workbench for a couple years.

keroseneburner

Established Member
throttle body seems to move freely. Per accufab I am not supposed to adjust the stop nut.

Teh throttle position setting:
you can use a handheld if you have one and a laptop if the logging isn't setup on the flasher. you are looking for throttle position absolute I think it is called. you want it between 195-200

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
1. Warm up car
2. Turn engine off and REMOVE THE KEY
3. Disconnect negative lead from battery and turn head lights on( this removes the capacitive charge in the system)
4. Connect negative lead to battery
5. Back off the stop screw on the throttle body
6. Start car
7.While grasping the throttle lever with your hand, give it a small amount of throttle and let off SLOWLY.
8. Adjust the stop screw to just meet the lever and give it another 1/8-1/4 turn and, then lock it down.
9. Turn ignition off.
10. Turn key to "ON" position and check TPS voltage. Set to .980 Volts with a Digital Multimeter (Fluke Meters are the most accurate)
11. Turn key off.
12. Repeat steps 1-4 to reset ECU.
13. Turn off Adaptive Learning in your tune so you can make the proper adjustments without the ECU making them for you. (Your tuner should know how to do this)
14. Datalog ISC duty cycle: this value tells you how much the IAC valve is having to stay open in order to control idle. ideally you want to be around 35%.
15. Datalog Idle air integrator- this is a value that correlates with the idle air neutral table values in your tune. They should be fairly close to zero. If it’s negative then you need to take air out of the ISC tables, if it’s positive then you need to add air into the tables. It’ll never be exactly zero. Allow the car to be at operating temp and idling for a few minutes before making a decision on this. In layman's terms- the integrator could be telling your ecu that more air is coming in than what is actually coming in- causing your high idle.
16. Turn on Adaptive Learning in your tune and drive car as you normally would so that the ECU can relearn again.

keroseneburner

Established Member
Awesome post. I can do a lot of that (even have a fluke meter) I can't turn off
the adaptive or datalog as my x4 is bricked. I will give as much of it a shot as I can. SCT says 7-15 day turnaround :(

speedoflife

Established Member
There's someone you want to listen to ^^^
I've only ever set the TPS by voltage (like 04sleeper mentioned).
To me, knowing what little I do about you/your situation over the Internet, I'm thinking your problem is in your tune. Which means it's not your fault. And you can't fix it till SCT fixes their problem. Never hurts to chase down potential problems though!

keroseneburner

Established Member
Sorry I didn't get around to it today, had some medical issues pop up last night, I'm way too young to have gall bladder issues but anyway. Going to get on it first thing in the AM

hotcobra03

Established Member
1. Warm up car
2. Turn engine off and REMOVE THE KEY
3. Disconnect negative lead from battery and turn head lights on( this removes the capacitive charge in the system)
4. Connect negative lead to battery
5. Back off the stop screw on the throttle body
6. Start car
7.While grasping the throttle lever with your hand, give it a small amount of throttle and let off SLOWLY.
8. Adjust the stop screw to just meet the lever and give it another 1/8-1/4 turn and, then lock it down.
9. Turn ignition off.
10. Turn key to "ON" position and check TPS voltage. Set to .980 Volts with a Digital Multimeter (Fluke Meters are the most accurate)
11. Turn key off.
12. Repeat steps 1-4 to reset ECU.
13. Turn off Adaptive Learning in your tune so you can make the proper adjustments without the ECU making them for you. (Your tuner should know how to do this)
14. Datalog ISC duty cycle: this value tells you how much the IAC valve is having to stay open in order to control idle. ideally you want to be around 35%.
15. Datalog Idle air integrator- this is a value that correlates with the idle air neutral table values in your tune. They should be fairly close to zero. If it’s negative then you need to take air out of the ISC tables, if it’s positive then you need to add air into the tables. It’ll never be exactly zero. Allow the car to be at operating temp and idling for a few minutes before making a decision on this. In layman's terms- the integrator could be telling your ecu that more air is coming in than what is actually coming in- causing your high idle.
16. Turn on Adaptive Learning in your tune and drive car as you normally would so that the ECU can relearn again.
Question..

Does the Tps have to be altered to adjust.. I've done older Tps that were slotted. .

Thought ours was just a bolt and go in Stock form..

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Question..

Does the Tps have to be altered to adjust.. I've done older Tps that were slotted. .

Thought ours was just a bolt and go in Stock form..
Yes, you have to drill out the metal tabs and slot the plastic to get the correct adjustment usually.

keroseneburner

Established Member
drilled out the tps and adjusted as described here. adjusted the tb stop and can get it to idle around 900. It may need another return spring as it sometimes sticks a little and idles 1100 until you bump it. I cant datalog until I get my sct back. Go for a drive and it is running great. Once it got hot (think heat soaked) It started with a little rough idle and low power especially at low rpm. this is not new as it did it before I put the go fast mods on it, and the tune. I replaced all coil packs troubleshooting this. I always suspected the egr valve but it seems to check out. This only happens when it is hot so the only other thing I can think is a vacuum leak that only opens when hot.(maybe intake manifold?) This time it threw a code p0174 system lean bank 2. The car also had brand new Ford motorsports 60lb injectors in it.

golfer11689

Established Member
I just installed an Accufab as well with a Bama LiveWireTS tune. My idle was fine but the TB was sticking after letting off the throttle (not hanging but sticking requiring more effort to accelerate). I was able to adjust the set screw and everything seems to be working fine. However I didn't need to do anything with the TPS... would that only have to be done if there were idle problems not the sticking issue I had?

speedoflife

Established Member
drilled out the tps and adjusted as described here. adjusted the tb stop and can get it to idle around 900. It may need another return spring as it sometimes sticks a little and idles 1100 until you bump it. I cant datalog until I get my sct back. Go for a drive and it is running great. Once it got hot (think heat soaked) It started with a little rough idle and low power especially at low rpm. this is not new as it did it before I put the go fast mods on it, and the tune. I replaced all coil packs troubleshooting this. I always suspected the egr valve but it seems to check out. This time it threw a code p0174 system lean bank 2. The car also had brand new Ford motorsports 60lb injectors in it.
My Accucfab T/B sticks ever so slightly. I just push the gas harder as a solution :shrug:

Didn't you already find a vacuum leak? Is the low power/low rpm problem the same as it was before the vacuum fix/upgrades?

keroseneburner

Established Member
yes, and yes. Previously I found a vacuum leak (good size hole) in the vaccum line that runs to the vacuum resevoir. It has been repaired. I had to drive it today as my wifes truck crapped out, I didn't get on it at all but now have a p0171 and p0174 code. It is running lean for some reason. I have a dr appt I have to go to then I think I am going to run a smoke test on it while it is hot and see if I can find more leakage. Unless someone has other ideas.
thanks for all of the replies.

keroseneburner

Established Member
Drove it easy to appt, it appeared to burn a lot if fuel, at 60mph it ran ok unboosted if you pressed the gas just enough to bring boost needle up it falls on its face and looses power. Could a fuel pump or filter cause this?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you have a wideband? If so did it show rich or lean when it fell I its face?

It sounds like you're in a holding pattern until you get your hand held back. You can check the mechanical stuff, but it helps to know what the ECU is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread