2000 Steeda Mustang GT #0048 rescued. 34k original miles

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I use the term rescued because the guy I bought it from blew the motor up 400 miles after he got it and literally had zero clue about what he had except that it was a "special Steeda car" and what the PO before him told him (lied to him about). Car has a lot of little problems that I don't think anyone who really appreciates a nice low mileage car like this would let go. This car was a $17k+ option car from Steeda in 2000 plus $24k new=$40,000+ car in 2000. All the suspension and driveline options including the Novi. No exterior mods at all though, sleeper buildsheet espeically back in 2000. I paid $5500 for the car as it sits now.

20150502_151854_zpsppd0omhj.jpg

20150502_151902_zps9pt1z2hp.jpg

20150502_151913_zpsph4yw8me.jpg

20150502_152032_zpsbn0ubdmu.jpg

20150502_173636_zpsgluoue9y.jpg

2000Steeda0048WindowStickerjpeg_Page_1novin_zpsmbsqnyt0.jpg

2000Steeda0048WindowStickerjpeg_Page_2_zpsnmxod3b8.jpg

I blanked the vin out on the buildsheet, its straight from Steeda and the VIN matches so the car is 100% legit.

Issues with the car:

-Blower couplers and flex tubing are toast. You can feel leaks everywhere. Bought a CX Racing FMIC and doing a DIY "power pipe" to fix/upgrade that.
-Torn weatherstripping and headliner cardboard falling down in the rear a bit. This is an easy fix.
-DIY part length subframes. Looks like the welds are good. Will leave them for now and then cut them out/weld in full lengths later.
-Melt spots in the carpet from where they obviously did not remove it when they did the subframes. I've done ACC carpet before, not bad.
-POS Flowtech X pipe. The worst one you can put on a car, it crosses over UNDER the bellhousing. Bought a VRS catted X to replace it with.
-Paint is peeling on the roof where the trim/sail panels touch. I've had this problem before. $100 worth of paintscratch.com stuff on order and I'll pull the panels off and blend it in and it should be invisible.
-Blown motor and unknown tune via a chip on the ECU. Picked up a 38k mile PI motor out of an 05 Grand Marquis to get the car going.

20150502_171637_zpswurqiwja.jpg

20150502_171657_zpsgcshpjqd.jpg

20150505_210602_zps6jw14u0s.jpg

20150515_124916_zpsgdmiq5xh.jpg

Going to work with Tuning By James to do a remote startup/initial street tune. Pulling the chip out obviously. Will get a dyno session with him once the car is broken in a bit and go for a safe 425whp. Also upgrading the flywheel to 11" and a new Exedy Mach 400 clutch while its all out. All the little stuff is getting fixed this week too. A car like this deserves better than the life its had IMO. Hopefully you guys like what I'm doing with it. Its going to need a few other things after I get it done obviously but I just want to get the big stuff done and get it back up and running.

Thanks for looking!

20150515_115055_zpsfp0zlz2a.jpg

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
I hate seeing people tear up really nice cars like. But Im glad its going to someone that appreciates it and will bring back to its glory. Even with a trashed motor, thats a super good deal!! Looks great and I look forward to seeing more progress.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
^Thanks I appreciate the words. You also happen to have what is probably my favorite Mustang of all time in the 1999 S351. Terminator shmirminator lol.

Got the roof panels off yesterday and the Paintscratch kit finally came in. I'm still a little shaky on the knee I just had scoped for standing for long periods of time and its super balls windy today so probably no work getting done on it today but hopefully tomorrow but definitely going to have it fixed and painted by the end of the weekend.

20150519_172551_zpsrngmkvqe.jpg

20150519_172600_zpsdalzsmws.jpg

20150519_172714_zpslaxv38vu.jpg

20150520_121153_zpslodmjt4i.jpg

I've fixed worse, I just hate how these cars can have issues like this. This is not the first car I've had with something like this...

nxhappy

Established Member
nice looking ride. You should put in some nice rods/pistons since the motor is out.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
That will be later. Stock motor will do 425 no problem. Will upgrade the rest of the car around that power level after I enjoy it for awhile.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Wow that's a steal! Just FYI- I'd look into CX racing, when I was looking into FMIC's i heard they can restrict boost and cause issues. Look into Treadstone. Also not sure in NJ you are but if your close to Tom's River i'd recommend Kevin Hand @ Wicked Motorsports for your tuning. Blown 2v's are his Niche!!

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm so glad you're saving this car. Like others have said, I can't stand to see people neglect special cars like this. I'm really glad that you are restoring it to its former glory. Are you going to install the Steeda stripes and wing, or will you leave them off?

Thanks for mentioning the melt sports on the carpet. Sucks to hear that happened, but you saved me potential heartache when I install subframes soon.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Updates are my doctor still has to clear my knee before I do any crazy lifting or motor pull.

Doing a black vinyl roof this week since the roof paint was peeling and I will be putting on the Steeda stripes and doing the wing eventually too.

Looking to clean the garage out this week and back the car in and start getting the front end ready for a motor pull.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Front end is apart, I just not have updated here in a bit. I'm going to try to get the motor out in a few weekends. Summer has actually been really busy with other stuff.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
I hear that, glad to hear your still making progress. If your looking for someone to tune it & weld on a pair of full length subframes I would definitely look into Kevin Hand @ Wicked.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah I've talked to Kevin before when I had my last car. I used to live 15 minutes from his shop. There are a number of shops around here. Radical has gone downhill from what I understand and I know to avoid "Bid Daddy" performance like the plague from personal experience and other ppl. I'm going to give him a call and see what he can do for a startup tune and all but I kinda would like to stick with James as he's been SUPER helpful and I have not even purchased anything from him yet. Just a nice guy.

I really do need to get going on this this thing but it seems like every time I make plans for a weekend SOMETHING else comes up.

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Yeah I've talked to Kevin before when I had my last car. I used to live 15 minutes from his shop. There are a number of shops around here. Radical has gone downhill from what I understand and I know to avoid "Bid Daddy" performance like the plague from personal experience and other ppl. I'm going to give him a call and see what he can do for a startup tune and all but I kinda would like to stick with James as he's been SUPER helpful and I have not even purchased anything from him yet. Just a nice guy.

I really do need to get going on this this thing but it seems like every time I make plans for a weekend SOMETHING else comes up.

I hear that man. I recommended Kevin because he tuned my car and did the subframes as well. He used to be a union welder and does really really nice fab work. I like the fact that one guy is doing all the work, the tuning and welding, rather than a bunch of different hands touching my car. He's 3hrs from me and I still make the trip down.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Well, next week is engine pull time unless something comes up. I've got the whole week off and my father has the whole month off so he's coming over to help rip this sucker out. Then its just a matter of pulling the BBK tuned ceramic headers that came with the car that ARE ALREADY RUSTING (BBK needs to get its shit together with ceramic coats) and sending them out for a blasting/coating. Soon as they come back the new motor is going right back in.

As far as getting the car to Wicked... I'm going to call him and see if he can get me a startup tune on my SCT just to get the car on a trailer or get it out to him once I get everything else on it but I don't plan on really starting it up or driving it seriously until the spring as its going to start getting cold here in the beginning of October. I just want to get it ready to go over the winter. I think he quoted me $600 for a tune/dyno time total but that was a few years ago for my 98. I would have to call to get a new quote that is current. I also want to see how much he'd charge to grind off the freaking part length subframes that are on the car now and weld in some Spintech subframes as they tuck right up to the floorboards.

Also decided to not re-finish the original wheels (yet) and just go with a 17" staggered FR500 setup with Mickey Thompson Street Comps for the time being. $1150 or so shipped to my door ready to mount with my military discount, really can't beat that and 315s out back to boot. Only reason for 18s really is looks IMO and I think I've finally got that out of my system. I want this car to hook like a mofo when I punch it. ALSO need a replacement PI intake as the one on the car is leaking and the one on the replacement motor is warped in the spot they ALL warp under the tstat housing. Then some new Energy suspension motor mounts while its out and easy, stage 8 locking bolts for the headers, new plugs, COP rebuild and an injector rebuild for the 15 year old #42s in there and that should be everything I need.

Only thing I am sketch about is getting this CX Racing intercooler routed properly but I'll figure it out. The thicker Fluidyne radiator the car has might be a bit of an issue but like I said, I'll figure it out lol.

Last edited:

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Well, next week is engine pull time unless something comes up. I've got the whole week off and my father has the whole month off so he's coming over to help rip this sucker out. Then its just a matter of pulling the BBK tuned ceramic headers that came with the car that ARE ALREADY RUSTING (BBK needs to get its shit together with ceramic coats) and sending them out for a blasting/coating. Soon as they come back the new motor is going right back in.

As far as getting the car to Wicked... I'm going to call him and see if he can get me a startup tune on my SCT just to get the car on a trailer or get it out to him once I get everything else on it but I don't plan on really starting it up or driving it seriously until the spring as its going to start getting cold here in the beginning of October. I just want to get it ready to go over the winter. I think he quoted me $600 for a tune/dyno time total but that was a few years ago for my 98. I would have to call to get a new quote that is current. I also want to see how much he'd charge to grind off the freaking part length subframes that are on the car now and weld in some Spintech subframes as they tuck right up to the floorboards.

Also decided to not re-finish the original wheels (yet) and just go with a 17" staggered FR500 setup with Mickey Thompson Street Comps for the time being. $1150 or so shipped to my door ready to mount with my military discount, really can't beat that and 315s out back to boot. Only reason for 18s really is looks IMO and I think I've finally got that out of my system. I want this car to hook like a mofo when I punch it. ALSO need a replacement PI intake as the one on the car is leaking and the one on the replacement motor is warped in the spot they ALL warp under the tstat housing. Then some new Energy suspension motor mounts while its out and easy, stage 8 locking bolts for the headers, new plugs, COP rebuild and an injector rebuild for the 15 year old #42s in there and that should be everything I need.

Only thing I am sketch about is getting this CX Racing intercooler routed properly but I'll figure it out. The thicker Fluidyne radiator the car has might be a bit of an issue but like I said, I'll figure it out lol.

Good deal. Kevin recommended me Steeda full length sfc's because they are the only connectors that tie into the torque boxes for more strength. He has them at his shop so I didn't have to pay shipping and then load them in the car lol. He did a great job with welding them.

Users who are viewing this thread