2000L -vs- new Saturn

cranium

Cerebral Assassin!!
Established Member
Me and my buddy were just coming back from the grocery store, cruisin about 40mph, when outa know where this silver new Saturn full of gauges pulled next to us and started reving us hard (young guy driving with girlfriend next to him), my friend driving the L will race anything anytime, so it was on!! from 40 we both took off, and wholly crap the Saturn pulled 1/2 a car on us! So we caught up to him and we went again from 20mph and that was a completely different story 3 or 4 cars on him and still pulling. It really goes to show anything can happen on the street. Also the L was not stock!, 16# boost with pullies, intake, C&L, 410's, and a few other small things. The one catch is the L has 22's heavy slow bling-bling.

cranium

Cerebral Assassin!!
Established Member
Just did a little research on Saturn website. The Saturn was a ION RED LINE 205 hp supercharged. Not to shabby for a Saturn, look out SRT 4's!

4tun8

Evolved
Established Member
It is a quick car for a saturn, but SRT-4s destroy them.

shub

Weirdo
Established Member
Nice kill!

I had a chance to run one of those once. This chick had a red one with a "2FAST4U" license plate, so she obviously thought she was the shit. But she also had "Class of '04" written all over it, so I figured she had just got it for a HS grad gift, and seemed VERY happy.

I guess I decided to take the high road and not rain on her parade. Let her have fun for a while. :)

It's pretty cool that saturn stuck a SC on that thing, giving people some modding ability, but IMO, the only way I'd drive a Redline or an SRT-4, is if I were born with a vagina. Oh, and Tits.... Tits are nice! :poke:

:beer:

cranium

Cerebral Assassin!!
Established Member
Could'nt have said it better my-self!! Not to flame on anyone, but I have a hard time understanding why some of the import guys especially spend thousands of dollars to make their cars as fast as a Mustang GT stock, for less money. One guy in my town had a civic that looked like it was from F&F he said he put about 6 grand into it and was proud to say it ran 14's ??? For 6 grand you can pick up a stang or camaro and have that right off the bat. Just my .02$

Blue04RedLine

Banned
Our cars aren't that bad. They're gonna surprise a bunch of people, kinda like you got srprised. Revving on a lightning, now that's just not really smart, but I'm sure that initial jump really shocked the hell outta you knowing it was a saturn. A company called PSI-Fi just released a kit, 2.8" pulley and some fuel tuning. The initial run with pretty high temps and humidity yielded a 14.0@101. Not bad for $550. If there were some decent headers, times with that kit would be in the 13.7-13.8 range. I/H/E and the kit, I would expect 13.5 or 13.6 range with a good driver. I/H/E have already yeilded a good half sescond gain over stock, so a full second with this kit isn't that far out of range.

SVTCobra1

Established Member
Blue04RedLine said:
Our cars aren't that bad. They're gonna surprise a bunch of people, kinda like you got srprised. Revving on a lightning, now that's just not really smart, but I'm sure that initial jump really shocked the hell outta you knowing it was a saturn. A company called PSI-Fi just released a kit, 2.8" pulley and some fuel tuning. The initial run with pretty high temps and humidity yielded a 14.0@101. Not bad for $550. If there were some decent headers, times with that kit would be in the 13.7-13.8 range. I/H/E and the kit, I would expect 13.5 or 13.6 range with a good driver. I/H/E have already yeilded a good half sescond gain over stock, so a full second with this kit isn't that far out of range.

Are the pullies plastic? had to ask :thumbsup:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Blue04RedLine said:
Our cars aren't that bad. They're gonna surprise a bunch of people, kinda like you got srprised.

You're right, they can surprise you. I had an SRT-4 hang with me from a 70 mph roll to about 120 on the highway the other day.

Granted, I left it in 6th gear and just floored it, but still...

NeverEndn

Established Member
I have an 04 L with full exhaust, and i raced a 06 Cobalt SSC and destroyed it by about 4 and half trucks and pulling. It was manual , and it didnt have LSD , so maybe if he would have had LSD he might have done better , quick little cars tho.

Cam99

Established Member
NeverEndn said:
I have an 04 L with full exhaust, and i raced a 06 Cobalt SSC and destroyed it by about 4 and half trucks and pulling. It was manual , and it didnt have LSD , so maybe if he would have had LSD he might have done better , quick little cars tho.

Is the SSC a better model than the SS?

Insomnia

Established Member
Cam99 said:

Ya, same deal with the new style monte carlos (99-05?) I think just the 04 and 05s have a supercharger on them (they say Supercharged SS instead of Monte Carlo SS on the bottom side of the car, the S/C is pretty much the grand prix gtp with a different name) and the other ones are just a regular monte carlo ss (I would say they are pretty much the same as a grand prix gt too.) Same with the Cobalt the regular n/a cobalt ss has 170?hp and a 2.4l engine while the s/c cobalt has 205hp on a 2.2l engine, the s/c is good for i think high14s...my friend said he saw one run a 15.2 at norwalk maybe just really bad driver? and I stomp the n/a ss cobalt on a daily basis, same with the n/a monte carlo ss :p

Oh and the S/C Cobalt is pretty much the same thing as the Saturn ION Redline, but I do not know if they offer a non-s/c redline (are those just the regular ION I take it?)

sittinondubs

Established Member
Blue04RedLine said:

:wf: :wf: :wf:

sittinondubs

Established Member
NyteByte said:
You're right, they can surprise you. I had an SRT-4 hang with me from a 70 mph roll to about 120 on the highway the other day.

Granted, I left it in 6th gear and just floored it, but still...

Come on you know you let him have it, Droped it in third probably 30 car difference
:lol:

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
The new "sky" Roadster has some cool lines, I don't think they are very fast though. I'm thinking of getting my wife one.
158SKY_scenic2_1024-med.jpg

NeverEndn

Established Member
Cam99 said:

SS is the 05 model name, in 06 they changed it to SSC, now the SS models are look alikes, they dont come with S/C's only SSC exterior looks , now for 06 they are SSC's, almost like how there's SRT-4's and SX 2.0's that you can get that look like SRT-4's but dont have the power.

NeverEndn

Established Member
ur bittn said:
The new "sky" Roadster has some cool lines, I don't think they are very fast though. I'm thinking of getting my wife one.
158SKY_scenic2_1024-med.jpg
[/QUOTE

Its just a Saturn version of the pontiac Soltice, they compete with Mazda Miata's. There was an article on these cars in my paper yesturday.

Users who are viewing this thread