2001 Cobra JUST 03/04 SC components?

FMD

Established Member
Hi there guys, so I need some insight on this if possible, I know somebody on here has got to know. Obviously as the post states, I have a 01 Cobra, my eventual plans are for fully forged internals (instead of just the crank) with basically every bolt on humanly possible. Now, my goal has always been the 2.1L KB kit for the 99/01 Cobra of course, as I will not buy something different if I have the choice and am completely set on a KB.

Now this is my dilema, I recently started reading that its actually BETTER to buy all the parts required for a 03/04 Eaton swap and than eventually buy a larger SC when your ready to upgrade. Obviously this kind of screwed with my goal as I never thought being able to put on a 03/04 sized SC was possible with just swapping parts over, and now I think this is the way I want to go.

I want to get all of the parts neccessary to perform the swap, but WITHOUT BUYING THE EATON, as id rather just bang it out in one shot while performing the swap, just putting on a KB. All im asking is what are the specific parts to make this doable, Im extremely interested in putting on the 2.8L Liquid cooled KB Mammoth now that I know its a possibility. Yes, I know this will be expensive, and yes I know it requires a lot of work, but im set on this.

On a side note, if this was already posted somewhere else, im sorry for creating a double post. Ive seen other posts about the whole system, but none specifically about the parts needed if you dont want the Eaton. Thanks a ton in advance for anybody that can help me, id really apreciate it.

-Frank

01yellercobra

Established Member
Look at the sticky in the new edge forum. You'll still need all the pieces. Just don't get the eaton. I think it's 95SSC that sells eaton swaps on here.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FMD

Established Member
Ah, thank you both I really apreciate the help. Have any of you personally done this, or known/talked to anybody who has? To me it just seems like the logical route if im spending thousands anyway, why not go the extra mile and get THE best possible no?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Get all the eaton swap parts, minus the eaton blower and the heat exchanger.

Then get the KB blower you want and a larger capacity heat exchanger. That's what I would do

FMD

Established Member
Thanks for the advice jymboslice, I was just going to end up using whatever came in the KB kit they sell which I believe comes with the intercooler from the 03/04 cobra anyway, so I may just pass on it so I can get a new one thats included in the kit anyway (My prefrence is to not have anything used, but if there are good deals I wont be stupid and pass them up depending on what it is). By the way, does anybody know if 95sc still sells that kit? or was it just a one time sale he did? Obviously it would be better to just buy everything at once.

Last edited:

Richter888

Established Member
Get all the eaton swap parts, minus the eaton blower and the heat exchanger.

Then get the KB blower you want and a larger capacity heat exchanger. That's what I would do

^^This is solid advice considering your direction. I opted for a larger heat exchanger as well.

However, if you have your car cooling system(s) serviced, make sure as hell they plug your intercooler pump back in. Mine was off for like 2 months and I was running the shit out of my car.

FMD

Established Member
Im glad I have a few tips leading in the same direction than, ill probably go that direction. And ill be doing the install myself, ive never installed a SC before but I definantly want to learn how, doesnt hurt that Ive heard KB has the best instructions possible haha. And as for the intercooler, how much larger, what size did the both of you settle on? And were you still able to mount it in the lower grill with a larger size without it looking stupid?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The KB uses the factory intercooler under the blower. The heat exchanger they're referring to mounts behind the front bumper. I remember someone making a bigger intercooler, but I never heard much about it.

Richter888

Established Member
Welcome to GordsFord Performance

This is the particular heat exchanger I use, though really any of the aftermarket options are sufficient or will outperform a factory unit.

I've also heard there are aftermarket intercooler units, though I never have looked into it. I cant imagine really needing a much better one. Hopefully someone can chime in on the subject.

FMD

Established Member
Oh, sorry for that I thought he had been talking about the intercooler, if my lack of experience with FI wasnt noticable before it should be pretty clear now haha. So now to introduce a specific stupid question, what would a larger heat exchanger do for me? And if you guys were to do anything different if you had to re-do everything for your setup, what would you do differently?

PS, slo98 I just realized your avatar is invader zim, and its awesome

01yellercobra

Established Member
Oh, sorry for that I thought he had been talking about the intercooler, if my lack of experience with FI wasnt noticable before it should be pretty clear now haha. So now to introduce a specific stupid question, what would a larger heat exchanger do for me? And if you guys were to do anything different if you had to re-do everything for your setup, what would you do differently?

PS, slo98 I just realized your avatar is invader zim, and its awesome

The larger heat exchanger seems to help delay the eventual heat soak. It seems it's going to happen, adding more coolant capacity helps keep it at bay a little longer. I did recently install a heat exchanger with the electric fans on a buddies 04 with a Whipple 3.4 at 26psi. He said he didn't notice a reduction in IAT's, but they were a lot more stable.

Thanks. Someone made that for me a long time ago. Now I use it on all the boards I'm on. :burnout:

FMD

Established Member
Oh I see, and theres nothing equivalent to a turbo timer for a supercharger as there is for a turbo im assuming? Thats definantly something im going to go with now that youve explained it to me. And ive been reading on the rest of the parts, it seems like the rest of the cobra parts are good enough for a huge degree of abuse (like the manley rods/pistons in the 03/04) so I may just go that route, same with the heads as I was originally planning on getting the rediculously priced FR500 heads but it turns out the flow on all cobras between 99/04 were pretty good. Im just thinking of all of the stuff id need right now haha.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The turbo timer is to circulate the oil through the turbo to cool it down and keep from clogging up the bearings. The supercharger doesn't have that issue.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Thanks for the advice jymboslice, I was just going to end up using whatever came in the KB kit they sell which I believe comes with the intercooler from the 03/04 cobra anyway, so I may just pass on it so I can get a new one thats included in the kit anyway (My prefrence is to not have anything used, but if there are good deals I wont be stupid and pass them up depending on what it is). By the way, does anybody know if 95sc still sells that kit? or was it just a one time sale he did? Obviously it would be better to just buy everything at once.

My friend did the eaton swap and bought all new parts and it was ridiculously expensive, i would buy used if you can.

The Kenne Bell kit would include everything you need, new but it will be pretty expensive. It is your choice to go that route or not. The intercooler sits under the supercharger, that is the same as the 03/04 cobra's but the heat exchanger (In front of the bumper) is what helps cool the coolant inside the intercooler which in return cools the air entering the engine.

Combined with the liquid cooling feature on the new KB blowers and a larger heat exchanger, your IAT's will be in check and you will not be getting heatsoak as quickly.

Get a nice return-style fuel system, rear axle upgrades, body stiffening, trans upgrades, and a built engine. I would leave the heads/cams alone in your car. The 4v's already flow a good amount of air.

I do not have a 03/04 cobra or any cobra but every mustang is basically the same. You need to upgrade a lot of shit to be able to make some power.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The KB kit for the 01 Cobra is limited to the 2.1. By doing the Eaton he can swap whatever blower is available for the 03/04's.

FMD

Established Member
Ah I see.. I really thank everybody for being so nice about this by the way, I can tell you most things but when it comes to FI I have no clue whatsoever as ive never had experience with it, so I apreciate the tolerance on my stupidity haha. I figure as long as the parts themselves arent moving or anything, used parts wouldnt be so bad. The only thing im worried about is only finding half the parts or something and than being stuck with a ton of parts that cannot fully complete something, so im looking for a huge set that has it all (if im lucky).

I plan to build up everything, from the front to back my goal is for mostly everything to have been improved or completely replaced. Im definantly going to keep the 5spd over the 6spd of the 03/04 though, not going through the hastle to change something like that when im happy with it. Ill eventually get to all of the suspension work, as a street/strip/track car, and ill be upgrading the IRS (awesome kit I found on MM) but not replacing it with a live axle like most dragsters do (I want the car streetable)

Any and all advice is more than welcome, the more I know before I spend thousands the better haha. Again thanks for all the help provided already guys!

Users who are viewing this thread