2001 cobra shuts off after 10-15mins (shuts off when going to closed loop?)

Slowbra01

Established Member
I figured i'd start a new thread.

OK, so the car was sitting for about 3 years. The issue with it before sitting was a bad fuel pump and worn out struts/shocks.

So about a month ago, had the fuel pump replaced by an airtex unit. The car fired right up with no issues. I had the struts, shocks, and cc plates installed and have been driving it ever since.

This past Monday, on my way to work, while stuck in the morning traffic, the car just suddenly shuts off. I tried turning it back on, but it would just crank but not fire up. I pushed the car to the side. After about 20 mins. I tried cranking it up, it fired up, drove for about 300 yards until it shut off again while i was waiting on a red light. Then had it towed to my house.

I would fire up the cold engine and let it idle for 10-15 mins until it will just shut off by itself.

- I've changed fuel filter (should have been changed along with the pump), needless to say it was filthy.
- I've changed the IAC since i already had it - i purchased it because of a previous issue (hanging rpm's) which existed and is unrelated to the current issue. This issue appears to have been fixed after changing the fuel pump.
- Checked O2 sensors, the wires appear intact.
- Checked the CCRM - inspected it quickly, nothing seems burnt or anything.
- Cleaned the connection plug of the cam position sensor.
- Checked spark plugs and Coils...they seem normal except a couple of the cylinders seem wet inside. I can only assume that the gas isn't completely burning in those cylinders.
- The car has a very rich smell.

Right now there is no CEL. The light did come on recently while driving the car around which i ignored because of my O/R X pipe which I've driven for years with the CEL on. I recently replaced the headlights which had me disconnect the battery so the CEL was cleared. But after driving almost 100miles after the headlights were replaced, the CEL has not come on despite the issue the car is having now.

I have new O2 sensors which i am going to install when i get a chance and new plugs - try to eliminate things on the list that may cause problems.

Any other ideas?

71catruck

Established Member
With no CEL this is hard. I had a similar thing but I got 3 or 4 fuel related codes. Mine was the ground behind the passenger headlight. I don't know though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
any chance the O2 harness got swapped around? Thats basically what would happen to my Mach when it went back together. It would get up around 205 and just die, would not restart until it cooled off. If you have anything to log with you would see the O2s start going wild (full scale swings each direction)

Slowbra01

Established Member
Just wanted to report back and perhaps provide the answer to others who have the same issue. It was the crankshaft position sensor behind the ac compressor.

You don't have to remove the compressor to change it out. Just take off the three bolts and it will give you enough room to wiggle the old sensor out and wiggle the new one in.

Users who are viewing this thread