2001 Cobra vs 2004 Mach 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The large majority of people I run into don't even know there is a difference between 99/01 and 03/04 and think they're all supercharged. I bought a 01 for 2 reasons, a clean terminator is over 30k and I feel there are better options for that price. Second reason is I plan to coyote swap it and I think it's a bad idea in the long run to coyote swap a terminator.
Had this Chevy Vette guy at work tell me the 03 was 390/390 and a Cobra and the 04 was the 420/420 and was a Terminator. I was like..NO. He was adamant about it and his brother knew everything about Mustangs and told him that. He bet me 100 bucks....I took his money.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My humble and possibly inaccurate opinion is that it all comes down to price between the two.

I would only look at a 99 if I had the dough to upgrade to the 01+ interior. I like the seat in the 03-04 Mach 1s and Cobras over the 01s and the 99 is shit.

The 99-01 Cobra front bumper is the best ever in a New Edge. The 03-04 Cobra rear bumper and spoiler is the best. So I’d bastardize cars.

I’d love to get again and go ahead with some plans I have in my head for one.

That being said, I love the shaker poking through the hood on my Mach 1.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My humble and possibly inaccurate opinion is that it all comes down to price between the two.

I would only look at a 99 if I had the dough to upgrade to the 01+ interior. I like the seat in the 03-04 Mach 1s and Cobras over the 01s and the 99 is shit.

The 99-01 Cobra front bumper is the best ever in a New Edge. The 03-04 Cobra rear bumper and spoiler is the best. So I’d bastardize cars.

Everything but this :)

shurur

Established Member
It's a mixed bag I think.

My cars FTBR IRS/T56 Swapped/MM suspension with a built C head. Naturally I'm glad it is what is is, and that's it's a mach, but obviously I have bias.

All of the mods withstanding, the shaker hood, sail panels, seats/interior upgrades, and general aesthetic of a mach is more unique IMO. The 99/01 cobras are essentially premium v6 03/04 cars with a different front bumper and tail lights.
Minus the Cobra IRS that you replaced the suck Mach SRA with...And..the 99-01 is far better than "a premium V6."

Either you are joking or an idiot.
Pick one.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

Looking at the Mach seats, they really don't look be any better at holding the driver in the seat than the '99. They have better look and more distinct look, but I have my doubts about them having any better function than the '99.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking at the Mach seats, they really don't look be any better at holding the driver in the seat than the '99. They have better look and more distinct look, but I have my doubts about them having any better function than the '99.

You are definitely wrong. Lol

Does two women scissoring sound like an armpit farting contest?

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I had a 01 bullitt with seats very similar to Machs. Definitely nothing to write home about that's for sure. My 01 Cobra is in the same boat. I'm going with corbeaus pretty soon.

shurur

Established Member
You are definitely wrong. Lol

See post above...just saying..

The depth and shape of the mach seat vs the 99 cobra seat is the same.

The 99 seat sucks and she had a lot of problems that a first year design does., but it is still a great car.

I gave my seats away to a guy who wanted them for his Bronco, and bought some cheap APC seats. Nothing for looks, but they hold well.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Minus the Cobra IRS that you replaced the suck Mach SRA with...And..the 99-01 is far better than "a premium V6."

Either you are joking or an idiot.
Pick one.

You need to work on your reading comprehension

...and general aesthetic of a mach is more unique IMO. The 99/01 cobras are essentially premium v6 03/04 cars with a different front bumper and tail lights.

I was referring to the aesthetic. Sorry to break it to you but 99/01s were essentially regurgitated by ford. For an SVT product, it's a bumper and tail lights away from looking no different than an 03/04 premium v6 car

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I was referring to the aesthetic. Sorry to break it to you but 99/01s were essentially regurgitated by ford. For an SVT product, it's a bumper and tail lights away from looking no different than an 03/04 premium v6 car

Funny you say that, years ago when i still lived in Michigan, i was at a local car show get together with my 01. Guy with a Ford GT was there and came over and was really looking it over (my 01 had a full Roush Stage 3 kit plus some 03-04 mirrors, wing and sidescoops) he asked me if it was a real “2001 Cobra”. I said yes. He said he hasn’t seen one in quite awhile. He told me he used to be an SVT engineer and retired a few years prior. He said he was mostly responsible for suspension changes and whatnot. I remember asking his name and googling him and sure enough, he was. Was even in some marketing material. He said most opinions inside SVT that 99-01 Cobras were pretty much “parts bin cars”. I agreed, which is why i changed quite a bit appearance wise. However they were still a great building platform, which is why i built mine.

While I appreciate the oem look now to a degree, i still think they were very VERY blah at the time. As in SVT put in a pretty low effort appearance wise..

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member

If you like the old hood scoop, like the GT and Mach1..fine.

Yes..the 99-01 cobra hood was leveraged-stolen by the 03-04 V6...so the cobra look was stolen in 03.

Also, you are in the newedge forum.
Expect some shit from Newedge folks.

I disagree with your real intent.

How's that Cobra IRS working for you?

shurur

Established Member
Funny you say that, years ago when i still lived in Michigan, i was at a local car show get together with my 01. Guy with a Ford GT was there and came over and was really looking it over (my 01 had a full Roush Stage 3 kit plus some 03-04 mirrors, wing and sidescoops) he asked me if it was a real “2001 Cobra”. I said yes. He said he hasn’t seen one in quite awhile. He told me he used to be an SVT engineer and retired a few years prior. He said he was mostly responsible for suspension changes and whatnot. I remember asking his name and googling him and sure enough, he was. Was even in some marketing material. He said most opinions inside SVT that 99-01 Cobras were pretty much “parts bin cars”. I agreed, which is why i changed quite a bit appearance wise. However they were still a great building platform, which is why i built mine.

While I appreciate the oem look now to a degree, i still think they were very VERY blah at the time. As in SVT put in a pretty low effort appearance wise..

Sorry that you bought a car you don't like the looks of.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
1682863445917.jpeg

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry that you bought a car you don't like the looks of.

At the time, it was ok but imo it left a lot to be desired. I get that’s subjective, but it just seemed low effort. I understand there could be plenty of reasons behind that but that was the end product. The reality is I bought it because the 99-01 was an amazing platform to build. So none of that ranked all that high. I knew what i wanted to do. It’s a non-03-04 cobra new edge, they look amazing after a few changes.

However, while I definitely didn’t really appreciate the styling then, i do appreciate the styling now. To a degree.

shurur

Established Member
I’d pick a Mach over a cobra. Probably biased. Though I have a thing for an electric green 99 cobra. Those cars are good looking.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…
My car is just a shit green 99 cobra...

nothing special as SOOO many newdge cobra haters, weak owners and woosy 99 dis-owners have taken the time to chime in to the SVT Cobra Newedge forum have said...

just repaint a mach1 electric green metallic and call it a day.

Yes..some of us newdge cobra owners are not so self depricating as to take crap in our own SVTP forum.

You all are mocking my future casket!!
;-)

Not just sorta kinda kidding..

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
At the time, it was ok but imo it left a lot to be desired. I get that’s subjective, but it just seemed low effort. I understand there could be plenty of reasons behind that but that was the end product. The reality is I bought it because the 99-01 was an amazing platform to build. So none of that ranked all that high. I knew what i wanted to do. It’s a non-03-04 cobra new edge, they look amazing after a few changes.

However, while I definitely didn’t really appreciate the styling then, i do appreciate the styling now. To a degree.

Not sure how to respond after you essentially Kowtowed to Ironside...or whomever..

Someone has to defend the 99 Newedge Cobras..I guess it must be me.

It is interesting how the '01 folks disown the '99 and yet all or most of the other "purists" want our front bumpers and tail lights....and somehow, in the same breath hate the look of the newedge cobras.

And as far as some unknown ford mechanical engineer's opinion of the newedge cobras looks goes, he can take it up with Coletti..

The new edge cobra is a beautiful car...**** anyone who says otherwise..

I trust in the **** word correction on SVTP as told to me in the past by some anonymous moderator accusing me of trying to work around their **** detector...

Otherwise Fxck anyone..and your shit talk in the SVTP Newedge Cobra forum even!!

I love my 99...moderate me if you dare.

To those who dislike or hate your Newedge cobras: please sell them immediately to those who will be proud and honored to be seen driving them.!!

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
+1 I love my 01. To me the only difference that stands out the most are the seats. Either style is better than sitting on the floor but my favorite are the 01 seats. They have a look and feel that should’ve been in a more expensive car.
Not sure how to respond after you essentially Kowtowed to Ironside...or whomever..

It is interesting how the '01 folks disown the '99 and yet all or most of the other "purists" want our front bumpers and tail lights....and somehow, in the same breath hate the look of the newedge cobras.

And as far as some unknown ford mechanical engineer's opinion of the newedge cobras looks goes, he can take it up with Coletti..

I trust in the **** word correction on SVTP as told to me in the past...

Otherwise Fxck anyone..and your shit talk in the SVTP Newenge Cobra forum.

I trust in the **** word correction on SVTP as told to me in the past...

Otherwise Fxck anyone..and your shit talk in the SVTP Newenge Cobra forum.

shurur

Established Member
+1 I love my 01. To me the only difference that stands out the most are the seats. Either style is better than sitting on the floor but my favorite are the 01 seats. They have a look and feel that should’ve been in a more expensive car.

Guess I will give you a like....until further notice... ;-)

But then I gave Ironside a like for ****s sake.

shurur

Established Member

The entire newedge redesign was new in 99...yet you don't get that..or have ignored that to shit on the newedge Cobras in the Newedge Cobra forum...aesthetics my eye...ahem..

Gave you a like for spite.. ha-ha..back at you..

Please continue to post you shit reviews-opinions in of the New Edge Cobras look in the SVTP Newdege Cobra forum.

PS and BTW: You forgot to mention the supposed shit NEWEDGE 99 Cobra spoiler..

YOU ARE ****ING WITH MY COFFIN..

Last edited:

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 01 bullitt with seats very similar to Machs. Definitely nothing to write home about that's for sure. My 01 Cobra is in the same boat. I'm going with corbeaus pretty soon.

The 99 Cobras were the same seats as the GTs. The Bullitt, Machs, 01-04 Cobras have way more bolstering. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread