2001 Corvette Z06 | Retro Review

Recon

Established Member
I love everything about that car except the roofline. FRC C5s don’t do it for me. If they made it in the regular roofline I’d own one. It’s truly incredible how light they are compared to what we have nowadays.

Pick your poison.

72SBC

Established Member
It was the last of the pop up lights. They are cool cars. Stock with some gears and they are pretty fun. They “feel” faster than the c6.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I love everything about that car except the roofline. FRC C5s don’t do it for me. If they made it in the regular roofline I’d own one. It’s truly incredible how light they are compared to what we have nowadays.

Pick your poison.

Agree

I always get a comment from someone with the opposite opinion calling me crazy. I just cant love the back 1/3rd of that car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was the last of the pop up lights. They are cool cars. Stock with some gears and they are pretty fun. They “feel” faster than the c6.
That's a good point about the feel of the C6. I remember taking my son-in-law's C6Z out for a drive. It was close, power wise, to my 2003 modded Cobra. But it didn't feel close to being about the same. Power delivery was much smoother vs. the punch of my Cobra. So I can relate to your comparison of the C5Z and C6Z. Back in the early days of the C6Z, C5Zs were really popular with guys here. Modded. They accepted mods with open arms and were tough on the street.

smitty2919

Established Member
My C5Z doing what it does best.... I autocross and track it. I had a C6Z and imo the LS7 has too many horror stories. My Z has a LS6 based stroker fully forged with coilovers, brakes kit etc. Its fast enough to be totally fun.

Same here. My 03 is about finished getting delrin bushings/camber kit/bumpsteer kits running coilovers. GREAT dual purpose street/race toy. My cam/intake/exhaust has me just shy of 400 on a Mustang Dyno and it's tame enough for my wife to drive/race it. Corsa Sport exhaust was AMAZING sound, but the pansys of autocross will eventually impose sound limits which the Corsa will NOT meet. Had to sell the exhaust for stock Ti for now.

I like the body, can't handle the interior

Same craptastic interior on C6's as well just shaped differently lol. Same for the Mustangs of that era. You don't buy it for the creature comforts.

blk02edge

Established Member
Same here. My 03 is about finished getting delrin bushings/camber kit/bumpsteer kits running coilovers. GREAT dual purpose street/race toy. My cam/intake/exhaust has me just shy of 400 on a Mustang Dyno and it's tame enough for my wife to drive/race it. Corsa Sport exhaust was AMAZING sound, but the pansys of autocross will eventually impose sound limits which the Corsa will NOT meet. Had to sell the exhaust for stock Ti for now.

Same craptastic interior on C6's as well just shaped differently lol. Same for the Mustangs of that era. You don't buy it for the creature comforts.
To me the C5 takes the ugly cake inside compared to those other examples. Gen 1/2 Vipers are right there with the C5 though.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Classic C5 z06 | 3rd Gen Viper | termi cobra = KOTS. Great times.

I’ve never complained about older sport cars interiors but seeing all the nanny tech of today that’s mandatory or added because it’s premium level there’s sometime to be said for simplicity. I am in it to drive not be relax. Give me a firm but not hard seat that holds me in place and a gritty steering wheel and let me go. Although I must fess up, Apple / android play is sure nice… I do find myself automatically going to it as if it’s there but isn’t.

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
Do the bypass mod on the Ti system, it sounds great with LT's.

Users who are viewing this thread