2002 GT Should I cut my stock springs??

KITT

Established Member
Hello,

So I've had my 2002 GT for alittle over 10 years, and needless to say the car isn't where I thought it would be today nor was I convinced back in the day that I would still have it today and appears like forever as it has too much sentimental value now. I don't have the funds available to just go buying parts left and right, but I am more motivated to get this car where I've realistically wanted it to be. I've been driving around with the stock suspension for it's entire life, but added 17x9/10.5 Black FR500's about 7 years ago. The lift kit is really getting to me now. For a quick fix, I thought about cutting my stock coils, I'd love for them to give a nice 1.5-2" drop but if these springs just will ride like junk, I would be ok with cutting 1 coil off all around just so it looks better.

Originally I was wanting to go with the H&R SS springs, but short of time and a cut off wheel, sounds better then $200 plus for new springs which I may end up cutting them still to get them to sit where I want them to.

What are your thoughts?

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah sure cut em.

**** it, if you don't like it you can get another set for like $50. hahaha

KITT

Established Member
I thought about even buying those cheap eBay springs and cutting them since the rears I found were terribly high still.

sethahoward

Established Member
I cut my rears and put 4cylinder fox body springs up front. it dropped the car quite a bit, its a little stiff in the rear and soft in the front but it transfers weight and launches really well. i would just start with cutting half a coil at a time. also give it time to settle after you cut it. if you still dont like it you can always cut them again. but if you cut too much the first time.......

sethahoward

Established Member
Here is a picture.
10403197_1652312458316575_8101512116675224955_n[1].jpg

KITT

Established Member

Oddly enough mine is also torch red, I'm guessing you have either an 02 like me or an 03. Just picture your wheels with black FR500's and that's my car. That doesn't look too bad for what you did. I would like it lower, but that's much better than stock. The only bad thing about cutting and waiting is having to get an alignment everytime you let it stay that way. I'll probably just cut 1/2 - 1 coil around and let it be unless I can find a good deal on some springs. I have a bunch of things to do on the car, this is on the list, but have some time to decide due to importance of the job.

Inb0ost

Established Member
GT springs dont ride well or perform well once cut. The 03/04 cobra guys can cut their springs because of the spring rate and type. If you cut the stock GT springs it will probably make the car ride bad and perform bad. I would look for some used springs. Most guys with H&R or Sportlines get a slammed look with no Isos. Any lower than that you should be going coil over.

Fireman786

Established Member
One of my buddies has a Gt with cut springs and ride quality is bad compared to cheap tokicos

spike_africa

Established Member
I have had Bullitt,Mach1 springs (gives around 3/4 to 1" drop) I have had those cut to give full 1" drop all the way around, I have had cut stock ones, and H&R and my current SVE lowering springs (they are actually Eibach Prokits in a different box, they even come with Eibachs directions lol).

The Bullitts rode like stock springs. The cut stock springs sucked. They road like shit. The H&R handled great, but made the ride very harsh and for a daily they sucked and scraped all over. Prokit or SVE springs from latemodelresto.com are the best of being lower, good handling, not to harsh of a ride. Add in the super cheap cost, and yep they kick ass.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-5300A/Mustang-Lowering-Springs

KITT

Established Member
I'm just going to wait until I find a set of used springs or new for the right price. I guess 4x4 mustang for awhile longer....

Users who are viewing this thread