2002 Saleen Modifications

SVT Adam

Established Member
I've decided to start a thread I can update from time to time since I'm always doing something. Quick backstory on the car: I purchased it May 2020 with 38k miles and currently sitting around 43k miles while I wait for the Michigan weather to play nice. This car was ordered as a basic Saleen with the only option being the chrome wheels box checked. I'm not a chrome fan, nor were the wheels staggered and my car is fitted with a set of polished Saleen reps which I really really like. I've since replaced most items in the interior, suspension, brakes, repainted some bits, and I've done a complete paint enhancement with ceramic coating last year. I'm trying not to stray too far from the og Saleen look, but just my version of a Saleen.

The day I brought it home
61076153971__CADE8F57-7B64-4061-B572-3DE439185F05.JPG

This was taken towards the end of last year
DSC_0601.JPG

This winter I decided to pulley the vortech down to a 3.33" from the stock 3.6" with also adding a new fuel pump, 60# injectors, blow through maf, intercooler and tial bov.
parts.jpg

intercooler.jpg

Getting it mocked up while I wait on my mounting brackets
IMG_7948.jpg

Here I modified a portion of charge pipe because I did not want to cut a huge hole in my inner fender
IMG_7949.jpg
70096721487__967C179A-A963-4D40-A284-88275F1243EC.jpg
70096803361__5C63D2A3-4385-40D2-8A65-8BB233C0FE5B (1).jpg

As soon as my brackets arrive this week I'll be getting the head unit and belt fully mounted and routed, oil feed lines plumbed back up, intercooler bov and maf plugged in and then it'll be time to drop the tank, which is completely full of fuel at the moment :sick:

SVT Adam

Established Member
I'm guessing you'll be at or over 400w with these upgrades? I love this car. Beautiful!
It better be lol

Very cool! Like the addition of the ambers too.

Looks like a great shop.
Thanks. I had a set of ambers that I ended up paying way to much for and I found myself constantly watching my rear view mirror at stop lights lol. I felt so guilty I sold them and wanted another set and found these. They arent going anywhere this time. The garage I finished a couple of years ago and really loving it
IMG_3496.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
such good looking cars

talking about oil lines - that one of the engine oil fed vortechs?

seeing that, I really need to re-work my charge pipes...

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Where was power at with the 3.6 pulley? I am only familiar with procharger and their boost numbers. I had a D1 on my 2001 GT with a 3.85 pulley, through an intercooler…made 12lbs at 6200 rpm. 450w all day.

SVT Adam

Established Member
Where was power at with the 3.6 pulley? I am only familiar with procharger and their boost numbers. I had a D1 on my 2001 GT with a 3.85 pulley, through an intercooler…made 12lbs at 6200 rpm. 450w all day.
Wow... never dyno'd it but it had the 3.6" pulley, non intercooled and I'd imagine around 340ish whp. Im dropping to a 3.33" through an intercooler now and should see around 10lbs which should net me low 400's

SVT Adam

Established Member
I've been slacking on getting this car finished, especially since nice weather is starting to show itself. I was sick for about 8 days and finally found some motivation yesterday to get in the garage. I got the intercooler finally mounted, all piping has been modified and is in its final resting place, catch can, injectors, and spark plugs completed. I need to drop the tank and replace the pump and filter next which I'm not looking forward to. I have a full tank of fuel and I'd really like to drain it somehow - any suggestions? I was thinking about powering the pump directly off a battery and running a hose off the tank into a gas can. Any better suggestions?
IMG_8176.jpg
IMG_8177.jpg
IMG_8178.jpg

Replaced the oil drain line as well
IMG_8184.jpg

Tucked the catch can down in an easy to access area
IMG_8188.jpg

And in order to access my tank straps and fuel pump plug I had to remove the rear bumper. I wasn't too happy at first, but it actually gave me an opportunity to clean up behind there so it wasn't a complete waste of time
IMG_8201.jpg

Hoping to work on it in the evenings this week and fire it up this weekend!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
My fuel system is return style and I run the pump and take the line off the fuel filter and let it run into a gas tank. Easy peasy.

Looking good dude.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
At one point I had a nearly full tank, lowered it a tad with a trans jack, just enough to get the fuel hat loose and put a symphonic pump in there into gas cans.

Im not sure where people are hoooong up a line for it but they’re either jumping the relay in the engine bay or getting a tune that just keeps the pumps on with key forward

SVT Adam

Established Member
At one point I had a nearly full tank, lowered it a tad with a trans jack, just enough to get the fuel hat loose and put a symphonic pump in there into gas cans.

Im not sure where people are hoooong up a line for it but they’re either jumping the relay in the engine bay or getting a tune that just keeps the pumps on with key forward
hmm... maybe I'll give that a try

JimCSHO

Established Member
Nice looking Saleen. I see you are in SE Michigan, whereabouts? I used to live in Port Huron, and now live near Brighton.
Are you a member of MOCSEM?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I feel you on the Chrome rims. Back then though when I had my 02 GT and 18" Chrome deep dish staggered bullet rims I did like chrome. The chrome Saleens are the sexist chrome rims ever made and then the Terminators...to me anyhow. Nothing like seeing the Saleen's rolling!

Last edited:

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
whats the offset on the wheels? is it 18x9 all around or staggered? i just ask because the front wheels look to stick out a bit. sometimes with the oem ones people would put the +12 offset up front by mistake. car looks great otherwise.

SVT Adam

Established Member
I've been absent for a while after running into issues and chasing problems. Still have one more issue I'm trying to chase.

One big problem I was having was getting my sct to connect. I was getting an error and found a couple of issues. First was low voltage which required me to replace my battery, and the second issue was a chip installed on my ecu. Check out this old school chip.
Chip.jpg

Finally got the sct to marry and have been able to get to idle properly, however I'm having trouble getting my 02 sensors to read. The remote tuner said he starts seeing it reading rich over 4k rpm, but all other reading throughout the rpm range is only reading 1.00 and is stuck there. I replaced both 02's and the readings are the exact same. Next I'm going to try find a short in the wiring. Kind of at a loss here.

Next, my new seats finally showed up. I replaced my set of terminator seats with these corbeau seats and really happy with how they look and feel in the car
seats1.jpg
seats installe.jpg

Last update for now is the last Saleen part I've been wanting for that my car. Mine was not ordered with this part and I think it's one of the best options you could've ordered a Saleen with. It's an original heat extractor hood from 2004 still in original primer! Can't wait to get some fresh torch red on it!
hood.JPG

I'm really hoping to get my 02 signal problem figured out quick so I can start data logging this on the street. Any ideas for me?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread