2003 cobra chatter or tick(broken up high flow cats rattling)

nickstang545

Established Member
The chatter or i should say tick is only at mid range throttle right when the boost gauge is starting to read while lugging it. The car will not do this at idle in neutral sitting in the drive or revving it sitting still, it will only do it while driving down the road. Its really got me worried tho i have put almost 2000 miles on it already with this noise with no other problems. I have looked up underneath the car to see if anything was loose and found nothing. I have read several articles about the famous head tick and they just dont describe my problem i dont think. I thought maybe i got a hold of some bad fuel so i ran all of the fuel out and replaced it with 93 from a reputable station and still same problem. I filled up with 110 and still same. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank YOU!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The chatter or i should say tick is only at mid range throttle right when the boost gauge is starting to read while lugging it. The car will not do this at idle in neutral sitting in the drive or revving it sitting still, it will only do it while driving down the road. Its really got me worried tho i have put almost 2000 miles on it already with this noise with no other problems. I have looked up underneath the car to see if anything was loose and found nothing. I have read several articles about the famous head tick and they just dont describe my problem i dont think. I thought maybe i got a hold of some bad fuel so i ran all of the fuel out and replaced it with 93 from a reputable station and still same problem. I filled up with 110 and still same. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank YOU!

When you have nothing listed in your sig we assume the car you have is entirely bone stock.

Is that the case?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It has a 2.93 pulley, magnflow cat back, magnaflow high flow h pipe, steed Cai, and a diablosport chip.

And also the topic says 2003 cobra
Sorry missed that.:bash:

This a tough one, from what you are describing, a part throttle, loaded, mid RPM tick is not a very common thing.

The elimination of detonation by the race gas test, is a valid process method.

I would then guess that there is a long tube exhaust leak somewhere, but you don't have them.

How about a mid pipe leak? :shrug:

Often exhaust leaks can mysteriously sound VERY metallic, and are notoriously load sensitive.

Quagmire

Established Member
ya had my mid pip leaking idiots cant tighten bolts, But made a a huge tick, put ur hands down there and feel for exhaust leaks, just be careful exhaust is hot.

NateTermi

BF3- NateTermi (ps3)
Established Member
I think I'm having the same problem. Changed my fuel filter and s/c oil yesterday and still ticking. I did notice what looked like a hole in the weld on my stingers while I was under the car. It started last week out of no where while I was dropping a friend off at his dorm. It defianly sounds "metallic". If you find out the problem before me post it up and I'll do the same for you!

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
you running mufflers? i'm running straight pipes and mine does the same thing too only when i'm on the throttle driving. i thought it might have been an exhaust leak too but figured out it was just the crackling noise from running straight pipes

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
while you are under the car, try bangin on your cats. it could be possible your/1 of your cats has gone out. if you hear something clankin around in there, when you bang on them, then that one (the one making noise) wold be the culprit...and would need to be replaced.

nickstang545

Established Member
Well while under the car i yet found nothing obvious, but when i hit the Cat it did rattle some? This is a High flow Maganaflow cat, is this common to happen with these?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well while under the car i yet found nothing obvious, but when i hit the Cat it did rattle some? This is a High flow Maganaflow cat, is this common to happen with these?

Yes when they are shattered and broken up, which is far more common with high flows than OE stock cats.

If they are making any rattling noise they are toast, and will soon be an off road pipe in disguise, that won't pass smog.:(

Last edited:

1996SVT

Established Member
My car was making a horrible racket and one of my buddies finally traced it down to anti-rattle clips on the brakes.
It's an '03 Cobra by the way

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Don't be grouchin' on the Jimlin
Jimlin.gif

+1

because we have his back.

nickstang545

Established Member
+1

because we have his back.

What are you talking about? And the tick seems to only happen after driving for a few min. If you shut the car off and let it cool for 5-10 min and then start and drive it will take a few min for the chatter to start back.

EvilBlack

04 Sickness
Established Member
What are you talking about?

:poke:

It's just a little SVTP retard humor we have around here. Guys that like wrenching, going sideways, AND hours on the computer typing about it are about 40% nuts. :rockon: I am probably 50%.:coolman:

hotcobra03

Established Member
i had a noise that would only happen when you hit it alittle..it was hard to find having loud exhaust ,,,

mine sounded like a valve tap/gas pinging type of sound or say even a bell sound

i found the stock lower pulley was the culprit...i havent replaced it but have put in different rubbers to hold me off till i do..the noise doesnt happen again till another rubber falls out..

i found mine by trying to turn blower belt back and forth and i seen an inch of free play..

ive also have had a rattle that was hard to find...sounded like loose exhaust/rattle or rubbing of headers..

found that the bracket holding the abs unit was missing a nut,,which i believe was missed by factory or fell of...had car since new and never had that part off before

that pic of jimmy just made my day....everytime i read on hear i feel like its being narrated by him with the voice of james earl jones

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What are you talking about? And the tick seems to only happen after driving for a few min. If you shut the car off and let it cool for 5-10 min and then start and drive it will take a few min for the chatter to start back.

If you got the cats to rattle by hitting the outer shell you have in fact, found your problem.

If after replacing the cats, you still have a tick, make a video if at all possible and we will try to help you diagnose it.

nickstang545

Established Member
I will probably just replace the h-pipe with a offroad unit, I planned on doing this anyways so im not really bummed. I will let you all know how it works out. I re-read my original post, it seemed like i was being grouchy, really i wasnt, i was just at work at the time and posting with my phone so i was in a hurry. Sorry if i come off being a d*ck.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I will probably just replace the h-pipe with a offroad unit, I planned on doing this anyways so im not really bummed. I will let you all know how it works out. I re-read my original post, it seemed like i was being grouchy, really i wasnt, i was just at work at the time and posting with my phone so i was in a hurry. Sorry if i come off being a d*ck.

No you didn't to seem grouchy to me, but a couple of the guys thought maybe so.

It's OK I cleaned up your thread for you so it doesn't get all derailed.:beer:

An off road pipe will be the least expensive fix, but keep in mind what your state's smog requirements might be, so you don't get surprised and caught unprepared at state inspection time.

Users who are viewing this thread