2003 Cobra with salvage title

scooter3

Established Member
Hey guys. I know this may have been discussed before but I ran across a 2003 Cobra with 32,000 that has a salvaged title. Apparently the lady who currently owns it did not know it was a salvage until she tried trading it in. Obviously the dealer would have nothing to do with it. She sent me a pic of the title and it does not state anything about it being a salvage so it may have been title washed prior to her getting it.

Carfax states the car was a total loss due to left front impact with an object and an airbag deployment. She has been driving the car for almost 2 years with no issues up until recently. The dash lights went out, drivers door window will sometimes not roll down/up and the service engine light has recently come on. Other then that she says the car has run fine. From the other pics the car looks super clean with no body damage. She wants out of the vehicle, because it is hard on her back and getting harder for her to shift, she is an older lady from what I gather.

I told her the car is only worth a fraction of current retail and she said she is willing to let it go for $9000. It is in another state and I have no way of inspecting it so I would be taking a gamble on it.

Thoughts?

Zemedici

Established Member
hmm.....That's definitely a gamble, and not to stereotype but an older woman could have a skewed idea of what a car's like 'running fine' ya know? Could be misfiring on 2 cylinders or some shit and she thinks its normal.

I would steer clear unless you could get it for 6-7.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Pay for a dealer or a mechanic to do a pre buy inspection? Cheap $150 investment to save u from getting burned. I'd buy it but just don't plan on selling it cause you know it aint ever going to be worth anything.

cj428mach

Established Member
If I couldn't afford a nice one I'd buy it. I think from watching that Sonicsaleen it seems like he'll buy any complete terminator for close to the price you listed. Hell complete drivetrains are worth close to the 9k.

scooter3

Established Member
hmm.....That's definitely a gamble, and not to stereotype but an older woman could have a skewed idea of what a car's like 'running fine' ya know? Could be misfiring on 2 cylinders or some shit and she thinks its normal.

I would steer clear unless you could get it for 6-7.

I get that and I was hesitant also, but when she said she has driven it for almost 2 years problem free and that the only issues were the ones she listed I thought she was legit. She really does not know much about the car, after telling me that it has something on the engine to make it faster. I actually laughed when she told me that.

She bought the car for $18,000 and now wants out of it. she owes $8600. That is why she wants $9000 so she can pay off the loan and have a few extra from something else. She knows she got hit due to it being a salvage.

Pay for a dealer or a mechanic to do a pre buy inspection? Cheap $150 investment to save u from getting burned. I'd buy it but just don't plan on selling it cause you know it aint ever going to be worth anything.

I talked to a Ford dealer in her town and they will do a complete inspection for around $175 and she has no problem taking it ere to do that. She has sent me a ton of pics and it looks in great shape. Third brake light still good and front lower chin spoiler still looks new. If I grabbed it I would hold onto it for a while.

Ourobos

Established Member
You can part it out for 9K.. I'd snatch it up.

Two of my friends own a body shop, they specialize in Lightnings, Harley Trucks, Cobras, CTS-V, and Corvettes. They currently have a Mystichrome 04 with 17k on it, and a black 03 that were MINOR hits or theft recoveries. They always seem to get top dollar out of them. They are done right though. If someone plans on buying one to keep, IMHO the salvage title isn't a big deal if it helps secure the car for a nice price.

scooter3

Established Member
Update:

Talked to the owner today and after she talked it over with her boyfriend they do not want to spend the time taking it for inspection even though I am paying the bill. She said he wants it sold as is and to throw them a price. I told her I was not comfortable doing that and that I would wire her $8000 right now. With the issues she has already explained to me I know I will have to put money into it, but how much is the question. She said she would talk it over with her boyfriend and let me know tomorrow.

So the waiting game starts.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Sounds like her boyfriend knows something is up with the car he don't want the dealership to find. And I am sure he knows very well what these cars are and has had some fun in it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
There are some red flags popping...I'd wire $500 and bring cash to neutral location.

stroked mach

Established Member
yea not wanting to run it by the inspection should tell you all you need to know, I think you are letting the whole deal put blinders on that you know that their is diff something up with the car, their is no way in hell I would trust any one now days ,she knows what she is trying to do and that is act all dumb and try to push the car off on you, I would run like hell, I would try to get it looked at for all you know the car is full of rods knocking , spun bearings for being drove by old people that don't care about a iol change and has never even run 93 in the car , like I said I would take a break form it all and think about it if its bad you would have around 3xxx in a motor fix worse case

akeohan

Established Member
Sounds like a big gamble and not one I would take. I would also never wire money, cashier’s check in hand when you go to pick it up and if you see something major, just rip it up and walk away. I'd see if you could take it out for a test drive and get it inspected than.

jbs$

Established Member
I would throw the phone number away and forget the entire deal. It has the marking of some type of scam. Could be nothing more than a crappy car that they have over hyped, hopping to get someone who knew nothing about cars to bite.

Svt_kid90

Established Member
i bought my 03 redfire with a salvaged tittle and with 160k on the clock for 7k. i think it was a pretty good deal. point is these cars are built to last if u take great care of them. however i do agree with others on the fact that the boyfriend does not want to have ford or a professional mechanic take a look at it seems a little sketchy. me on the other hand had the opportunity to have the car checked by a professional so that def helped. i would say even at 9k it could be a good deal since it only has 32k miles like op mention, but if u can get it for 8k even better. is a tough choice none the less. but hey if u like that car and you want it and is something u can afford i say go for it. but know that u will pretty much own this car until u died because re selling it can be some what complicated like stated above. good luck.

scooter3

Established Member
Thanks for the replys! The story behind the car is that her boyfriend was trying to help a buddy who owned the car sale it, because he was being deployed so he needed to get rid of the car. The boyfriend convinced her to buy it. Funny thing is that the title was branded as salvage before that, but her title does not show it so something tells me the boyfriend knew it or the buddy knew it. Either way she got handed a car that was salvaged for full retail. Now she is trying to get out of it, because it is hard to drive in the snow and ice and she wants a Jeep. That is how she found out about the tile when she tried to trade it. She was very upfront about everything too. The salvage title, dash lights not working, window not working and the service light. She was not hiding anything. I told her I would pay her gas and the inspection fee, all she needed to do was get it there and she said no problem. A day later I got a text saying said she talked it over with the boyfriend and they would not do the inspection and he said “it is what it is and if you want it lets talk price”. Everything was cool until the boyfriend entered the picture. So at this point I think I am going to wash my hands of the deal.

Users who are viewing this thread