2003 Ford Mustang Cobra vs. 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

JSHTROD

Established Member
Stock for Stock... the Z06 is a quicker, and faster car.

I don't think anybody here would dispute that.

It's just that the 03 cobra is SOOO easy to mod.

Jason

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Agreed...some Z's have dynoed more than that though...dyno's to me are should be used mostly just for tuning. People get so caught up in the numbers game! When my car pulled what it did, I was a little bit disappointed...but I quickly learned that they don't mean shit and in fact, how fast the car is and how well it is tuned are all that matter. I have surprised a good many people with my car and some people are shocked when I tell them what it put down on the dyno. BUt, I tell them that numbers are just numbers and the only thing that matters is when you hit the pavement. The Cobra does have it's disadvantages, but for a measley 10k...you can have a tuned, fully bolt-on, KB powered 600+ RWHP/RWTQ beast that will pretty much hand anything its ass!! Not many people can argue with that!!!

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I agree the ZO6 is a faster car and does handle better (for alot more $$$), however the Cobra is pretty close in a straight line as I have seen with some of the stock vs stock times before deciding which car to get. But from a pure engine stand point without taking the weight of the cars into account, yes the engine in the Cobra does make more power plain and simple. Remember one is a Mustang and the other is a Corvette, two different cars.

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
I wouldn't go as far as to say the engine makes more power...I have seen many ZO6's make over 360 at the tire as well. Also, the Z is more expensive for many reasons...and it is well worth the price!

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
My two brothers have Z's one has a 2002 Z06 and the other has a 2004 Z06 i drive them about once a week there is no doubt that z is faster but i will say when i am in the cobra on the high way and i really drill it in 3rd gear i feel that the cobra picks up a little faster than the z does i don't red line it until about 108 i think and the z red lines at about 100 i think. off topic but i hate the looks i get while driving the Z06 i am 18 and i look very young and some people give me the dirtiest look i can't stand it even other vett drivers look at me like wtf

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by JSHTROD
Stock for Stock... the Z06 is a quicker, and faster car.

I don't think anybody here would dispute that. It's just that the 03 cobra is SOOO easy to mod.

Jason
You hit the nail on the head! The Cobra is actually TOO easy to mod. :lol1:

Wait until the new Z-06 comes out. Still waiting to see if it will have the rumored 500 hp. :uh oh:

Fleck 5

Established Member
The Z06 is 500 lbs lighter. That makes a big difference.
It isn't sitting on a 25 year old platform either.

The other guys are right though. It is too easy to make these cars wicked fast. An exhaust for a Corvette is around a grand. Everything for Vettes is more expensive. You can put a pulley on a cobra and a tune for $500 and beat that Z06.

Fast Willy

Established Member
honestly what good are number if u cant drive. Take a person driving a handa civic with a person that can drive, and a lambo with a person who doesnt drive stick who do u think will win. Hands down the civic.

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Wait until the new Z-06 comes out. Still waiting to see if it will have the rumored 500 hp. :uh oh:

According to sources inside GM and stuff that has leaked on the corvetteforum, the new Z will have 500-515 HP and it will weigh under 3000 pounds...

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: Great review of the available facts, and much appreciated. Would be interesting to see how a stripped Cobra (minus seats, spare, etc) compares with stock. Which is most important, weight or drag?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
You hit the nail on the head! The Cobra is actually TOO easy to mod. :lol1:

Can't wait to see if the new Cobra will have the rumored 500HP either ;-)

Originally posted by Y2K Roadster
According to sources inside GM and stuff that has leaked on the corvetteforum... and it will weigh under 3000 pounds...

I'd agree with the HP rating easily, but not the under 3000lbs rating. I'd say 3000-3100. Current Z06 is what, 3200 or something?

Either way, the new Z06 AND the new Cobra will be BEASTS... Can't wait til my dad buys the new Cobra :thumbsup:

(Just got to make sure that when he does, I can still beat the pants off him in my '03 :-D )

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
yea that was posted be4... have been lookin for that ever since... good find.... i mean i hate to say it but thats prob the truth... but i dont care cause lets see the vettle weights less, has a bigger engine, and cost more.... of coarse its a lil faster.... ill still take the underdog.... the cobra.... its heavy as crap, fast as hell, easy to mod, and cost way less, oh and also has the WHINE!!!! :bowdown:

mj8

Established Member
My neighbor has a 2003 Z06 with an LS1 edit, GHL exhaust, o/r x pipe, long tubes and some sort of CAI. He dynoed last week at 474 RWHP and 467 RWTQ. Due these numbers seem in line with other modded Z06's. The reason I ask is this. Will my 03 with my mods in my sig with the addition of a predator put down close to that?

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Originally posted by mj8
My neighbor has a 2003 Z06 with an LS1 edit, GHL exhaust, o/r x pipe, long tubes and some sort of CAI. He dynoed last week at 474 RWHP and 467 RWTQ. Due these numbers seem in line with other modded Z06's. The reason I ask is this. Will my 03 with my mods in my sig with the addition of a predator put down close to that?

I would say 390-400rwhp tops! Someone is pulling your chain. A heads/cam z06 or ls1 can make 474rwhp and you would never know by looking at the motor. Those mods aren't going to make anywhere near that! Even the torque is really high, I would say he has a supercharger or a smaller stroker motor. A 470rwhp with a good driver would spank on a 470rwhp cobra pretty hard. (Ever see the video of the BPU cobra against the cartek heads/cam black c5?)

-Corey

Last edited:

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Originally posted by mj8

I would say 390-400rwhp tops! Someone is pulling your chain. A heads/cam z06 or ls1 can make 474rwhp and you would never know by looking at the motor. Those mods aren't going to make anywhere near that! Even the torque is really high, I would say he has a supercharger or a smaller stroker motor. A 470rwhp with a good driver would spank on a 470rwhp cobra pretty hard. (Ever see the video of the BPU cobra against the cartek heads/cam black c5?)

-Corey

mj8

Established Member
Actually I just called him I was off a little, sorry it's early. :) 444 rwhp 447 rwtq. The only mods he has are what I posted prior. However, I do know his tuner has a very very aggressive tune in there to say the least. Since this car is only a weekend toy he was cool with that. He was advised to put one gallon of race gas in with every 3rd fill up.

Users who are viewing this thread