2003 Mach 1 with 125k miles

justinsstang

Established Member
Looks very clean inside and out. I can't look at the car right now, but I'll have a family member go do so (I'm overseas and coming back next month). Should I bother with a Mach 1 with that high of miles? I've never owned a new edge, only a 2006 and a 2014, so I have no idea as to the reliability of these cars.

In fact the only difference I know of between the Mach 1 and regular GTs of the same year is that the Mach 1 supposedly has forged internals. Is this true?

Talk me in to or out of this please. Thanks.

MackDombles

Established Member
It has an all aluminum 4valve Windsor block engine whereas the gt is an iron 2valve. If it's an auto it's all normal Crank and Internals. The 5 speed got the forged Crank but retains the normal Internals. Little above 300hp and it seems Ford was conservative with their numbers. The tremec tr3650 5 had a slightly different gear ratio for 4th gear in the Mach I believe. Of course the shaker hood is proprietary to the Mach.

MackDombles

Established Member
I can't speak for the car other than my brother in law had one and it was very fun to ride in. Sounded great.
I can attest to the engine and 5 speed being pretty solid as I have one transplanted in an 09 crown vic with around 11lbs of boost on it. It sings like a sewing machine....
A sewing machine that hauls ass.

MackDombles

Established Member
Condition depending. I'd have to see it to make that call. It sounds like a decent deal at that price though.

Recon

Established Member
It's basically a Bullitt with a 4V. The engine has Terminator heads, 5.4L 4V intake cam, 10.1:1 compression (n/a cobras were 9.85:1). Car came with Tokico shocks and some lowering springs (ford racing c springs if I'm not mistaken), subframe connectors, 3.55's in the rear end. Though I can't account for the 03 model but the 04 3650 is strong with some upgraded internal hardware. As stated the manual cars come with an eight bolt forged crank, autos had the six bolt cast crank. Another thing is the condition of the interior. The SN-95's in general have very fragile leather so the condition of it is important.
If your family member can take some pictures of it, then we can help you better in the decision. I just recently purchased a Mach 1 (first new edge!) with 33k miles that needs an engine rebuild and paint work for 3 grand. Might not help you much but you never know.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
With those miles, I'd have to see the car first. If you're just looking for a "car", maybe.
If you're actually interested in a Mach 1, I'd shop around & find a lower mile one. They are out there & not priced too crazy for what you're getting.
They are stout, fun cars. And they get my vote in the "looks" department!

4a7191a

Established Member
They still catch a good bit of attention. Everytime I drive mine I get stares. They just look mean.

Mike's03Mach

Established Member
I just bought a 03 Mach 1 back in March with 116k on the clock. Drove it til Sept and the engine started knocking. Now I need to get it rebuilt, it's been sitting in the garage since then. Looked around for an engine but haven't been able to find anything yet. Also looked to see how much it'll cost to get it rebuilt and was quoted 5-8k.

Sorry, I got off track. I love the car and I'm not mad about it. I plan on getting it rebuilt as I will keep the car for many years to come. I love the 99-04's, I think they are the best body style. Buying a used car is taking a chance. I had a 2000 GT for 3 years that I got for 3k. (only sold it because I was going to South Korea for a year) I put in a cd player and replaced the IAC. put in less then $500 dollars and sold it for $2,900. Have the person looking at it do a very good inspection of it. You can justify your cost with whatever you find wrong.

AlloyPony

Established Member
I have owned and have seen many other GTs with very high miles and they run strong forever. But it seems that the 4V engines don't fare as well, which is odd. Having said that, I just bought a Mach 1 with 128,000 miles on it and it runs excellent for the time being. I really hope mine doesn't lose an engine anytime soon because I can't afford to rebuild it.

Users who are viewing this thread