2003 Saleen Cobra article

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
cool article - never saw that one before, thanks for posting :beer:

"One could surmise that the S281-C was created from a car that would ultimately lead to Saleen Autosport's demise." i have always felt that was the case...

5882 DARK COBRA

Established Member
cool article - never saw that one before, thanks for posting :beer:

"One could surmise that the S281-C was created from a car that would ultimately lead to Saleen Autosport's demise." i have always felt that was the case...

Me too I remember when I first saw the Cobra at a local car show here in my area and then looked up the stats.That's when I knew Saleen was gonna be in trouble.Then Cobra's were popping up like pimples on a teens face.and your welcome.

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Nice find OP. I had a lot of info saved on 03/04 Saleen Cobras and have never seen this article.

stangfreak

Established Member
I wanted a saleen cobra in the worst way. But was never able to afford it back then. I was too young

5882 DARK COBRA

Established Member
I wanted a saleen cobra in the worst way. But was never able to afford it back then. I was too young

I hear ya loud and clear I didnt't get my Termi until I was 28 in 2010.I was still paying off my 2001 gt and the insurance was killing me back in 03.I seen a lot of fake ones at car shows but still never seen a legit one.
Back then if I had the cash I would of went that route.To me there like a unicorn.

braindontstop31

Established Member
Rare indeed! Before I bought my cobra in 2013 I was trying to buy a Cobra Saleen from a dealer in Chicago. It was a Black vert 10th anv.
It had all the Saleen documentation. I thought it was fake unit I saw the docs. That would have been a nice catch. It was sold very quick as I waited a couple hours to long to buy it. :(

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
To this day, I still firmly believe the Terminator was what caused the downfall of Saleen.

No longer could they provide under whelming cars at an overly inflated price.

5882 DARK COBRA

Established Member
Agreed.The Saleen was for people who wanted more performance but there was nothing else really around except Roush so they got away with it and you definitely paid for it and they knew the consumer would because there was that want/need to be fulfilled but when people had seen how well the Cobra performed and it's price tag a lot of them couldn't justify all that extra money on the Saleen.Don't get me wrong I think the Extreme was a bad ass car but for the price/mod potential I'd rather have the Cobra.But I still think the Cobra Saleen was the best of both worlds.

spdfrkaby

Established Member
You could slap on a Saleen rear bumper and give people who can't keep up a nice view.
_DSC4667compressed.jpg
_DSC4671compressed.jpg

TK Doom

Established Member
about a year after I purchased my Vert, there was a Mystichrome (04 obviously) Saleen Cobra on eBay for some $40k (IIRC). I was tapped out with a divorce and my Vert, I urged my dad to buy it, but he didn't. That would have been the ultimate Cobra IMO.

I saved a Mystichrome search on eBay that day it sold so if it ever came up again I'd have a crack at it.

5882 DARK COBRA

Established Member
Wow Doom,too bad man.That combo has to be the rarest of the rare.That's something you keep in the garage with a car cover on and just take it out on sunny days around the block maybe a highway run...or a car show......

spdfrkaby

Established Member
Bassani...end of exhaust was fabricated to make it a center exit. Probably lost a little HP with the extra bend but it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread