2004 Mach 1 Engine Details Needed

Redfire Rocket

Established Member
Hey Guys. My father in law is close to buying a nice 2004 Mach 1 and we were talking about the similarities in the engines between the Mach and my '03 Cobra. I've searched the 'net and this site and haven't found anything. Is the Mach engine just the Cobra engine w/o the blower?

Any help is truly appreciated :beer:!

clc44

Established Member
The Mach 1 motor has higher compression (10.1 Mach and 8.5 Cobra I think). Also, the Mach doesn't have forged internals. They have the same heads but the Mach has the lighter aluminum block. I think I covered the basics. Someone with a lot more knowledge will chime in soon.

Redfire Rocket

Established Member
Thanks CLC44 for the reply. That helps. Anyone else with additional info please add it as I really would like to educate myself (and my father in law) about the similarities and differences in our engines.

Cool we will both have Mustangs though!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
is he looking at an auto or a stick? the stick cars have forged cranks and a 6800rpm redline, the autos have a cast crank and a lower red line (5800?). Mostly due to the transmission, it doesnt want turn 6800rpms

Redfire Rocket

Established Member
The one he's looking at is an auto (unfortunately ;-)). 2004 and 17k miles.

Didn't know the autos have different internals from the manuals. Sounds like the manuals are beefier.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if hes not gonna mod the hell out of it it wont matter....personally Id bet that if he made enough power for the cast crank to be an issue the powder forged rods would give up long before the crank.

RcodeStang

Established Member
The one he's looking at is an auto (unfortunately ;-)). 2004 and 17k miles.

Didn't know the autos have different internals from the manuals. Sounds like the manuals are beefier.

Only difference in internals is the cast vs forged crank, which isn't an issue till you make huge power anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread