2006 Camaro concept?

Wild Bill

Established Member
Mph does matter to a lot of people,as it is an indication of the power in the car.There are a lot of guys that prefer roll on street racing,or running on the highway.A perfect example would be the evos or wrxs.They have decent 1/4 times,but its all in their 60fts.On the street most runs are from a roll so a car with higher mph will have a big advantage in these situations.A car that trapped a 100mph would be a lot faster than one that was trapping 86mph.What are you going to do drive around with your time slips in your pocket?

Domeskilla

Established Member
5 seconds from redaddiction if i dont stub my toe
I guess you dont understand.. i dont drive a v6 camaro.. nor do i ever want to. But you can't say "i lost in the 1/4 mile, but i can take you on the street".. street racing isn't even a thought in my head. I've been the victom of it and i wasn't even involved in the race and i got hit. I dont like it and wont ever do it.

A car running 100mph will be faster, but if he lost in the 1/4 mile, then he wasn't faster. Your car can bog or be slow as shit, out of its power band, whatever.. and not pick up speed till the end, where you would run a lot higher mph then you would 1/4 mile time b/c you lagged at the beginning.

Gearing also plays a huge part.

My point was.. and ppl obviously aren't reading before posting. I've seen the v6 camaro take gt's in the 1/4 mile.. So.. let me recap. 15.7 at 86 and say you run 15.8 at 100 in a heads up.. you lost! Point blank.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Bobby,I got your point.Im just adding to it by saying both are important.If I had to choose between a car that was 1 tenth faster or a car that was 14mph faster in the 1/4,trust me I'll choose the one that traps 14mph faster.Having said that I do not agree that the v6 camaro is faster than the gts.They arent,Ive watched my friend beat a v6 camaro in his stock honda civic.A lot has to do with the skill of the driver. With your same argument,after somebody whips your a$$ on the street you cant say...but I can take you at the track.Your case may be different but why do people act like they never speed or have never been involved in a street race.I know my mom has never been involved in a street race,but come on man.You mean to tell me you care enough about performance cars to be posting about them on SVT performace.com,but never speed or have been in a street race!If people didnt drive fast and street race there would be no market for fast cars.We are driving street cars,not race cars.Not every street race is dangerous,you might only go for a gear or two.Then only if the road is wide open.People are always going to do some things that are a little dangerous.It is part of being human.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Domeskilla
Yea, if you wanna compare them to road racing and a million other things.. then yea, the cobra isb etter.. but i only like to drag, i dont care to road race, autox isn't my cup of tea either. So all that matters to me is the strip.

I agree, the AutoX isnt really my cup of tea either... however if your planning on drag racing, I'd still think the Cobra is the way to go, Less than a year we've got guys running mid 9's... some on the Stock IRS. Less than a year must mean it didnt take them long at all to find that power, and to think we've barely scratched the surface on what this car is truely capable of. My thinking was about which car would I be able to make fast the easiest and the least ammount of money that I wont have to worry about falling apart on me 5000miles down the road because it cant withstand the stress of certain modifications.

Running 13.0 n/a in the mach1 like i think you previously said.. isnt any faster then what some of the guys are running in their cobras. Be it most are running mid low 12's, stock.. but its just like the vette/camaro.. the supercar and "regular" car are so close in times.

Well like you said a win is a win, and thats true... but just because some guys here run 13 seconds in there 03 Cobras doesnt mean thats all they're good for... A man like yourself thats seems to be into drag racing should realize that. Iv heard of 03 Cobra's Z06'es and Vipers that have only ran a 14 second ET... As has been established 1000 times before, it doesnt mean thats all those cars are good for.

He made no points, all he was trying to tell me what it doesn't matter how fast you are (e/t wise) in the 1/4 mile, mph is really superior. And i'll say it again.. i dont care if the camaro can only muster a 86 mph, if its e/t is faster, you lose.. whether you hit the traps at 100, you still loss. I didn't say lets race for a 1/2 mile or 10 miles. I said 1/4 mile.

Well mph should matter to you... 15.8 @ 86... If the GT was running a higher mph with a slower ET that just means the guy wasnt that great a driver... Like Iv said before, indeed a win is a win, but just because you win doesnt necisarily mean you have the faster car.

I could take my 03 Cobra out, spin half way down the quarter... miss 3 gears and run a mid 14 second quarter, and a honda S2000 could blow by me in the other lane. Now by all means the S2000 won fair and square... but you know as well as I do that the S2000 isnt truely the quicker car, all that means is either Im an incredibly shitty driver or the honda guy is a very good driver.

Now those 94/95 GT's, even though like I said not quite as strong as most of the other Mustangs that came out of the 90's, I know were good for more than a high 15.

Remember driving skill isnt included in the window sticker price. Just because you buy a mid or a low 12 second car doesnt mean its going to run that fast with you in the drivers seat, however it doesnt mean that car isnt capable of running mid to low 12's.

So when you compare cars like that just make sure you take into consideration, esspecially in a situation that seems almost too radical to be true esspecially in the scenario that a V6 Camaro could beat a 94/95 Mustang GT, that it could possibly have something to do with the lack of ones ability to drive there car, not just go on about how car A beat car B that must absolutely positivly mean that Car A has to be the faster car.

Last edited:

Domeskilla

Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Bobby,I got your point.Im just adding to it by saying both are important.If I had to choose between a car that was 1 tenth faster or a car that was 14mph faster in the 1/4,trust me I'll choose the one that traps 14mph faster.Having said that I do not agree that the v6 camaro is faster than the gts.They arent,Ive watched my friend beat a v6 camaro in his stock honda civic.A lot has to do with the skill of the driver. With your same argument,after somebody whips your a$$ on the street you cant say...but I can take you at the track.Your case may be different but why do people act like they never speed or have never been involved in a street race.I know my mom has never been involved in a street race,but come on man.You mean to tell me you care enough about performance cars to be posting about them on SVT performace.com,but never speed or have been in a street race!If people didnt drive fast and street race there would be no market for fast cars.We are driving street cars,not race cars.Not every street race is dangerous,you might only go for a gear or two.Then only if the road is wide open.People are always going to do some things that are a little dangerous.It is part of being human.

Okay, personally i'd rather be faster in the 1/4.. but that is me.

Do i ever speed? The limits here are just fast enough, I dont drive too fast around here. Interstatesare 75, I rarely go in town, our housing area has a lot of kids and everything you need right by it.. so no, i dont speed.. i might go over the speed limit on the highway, but the OHP dont care about 85-90 b/c the "turnpike" that everyone travels is rarely packed. You're lucky to see 6 cars going your direction on 5 miles of road.

Have i ever street raced? yea, but nothing like what i was involved in. Infact, we never got out of 2nd gear in a 4 banger s-10.. streets just dont allow it here (not long enough or smooth enough).. what happened to me was a truck crossed into our lane, tried to go around us on the outside lane (4 lane road, we were closest to the line) and he hit his brakes and peeled the fender and door off the passenger side of the car. We were messed up pretty badly (me and a passenger).. the other guy basically "stumbled" away.

I know they aren't ALL faster, or faster everywhere. I said "i've seen v6 camaro's take gt's".. that is just that.. i've seen them take them, dont mean all of them.. dont mean everywhere across the country.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Okay, personally i'd rather be faster in the 1/4.. but that is me.

Thats true, I would too... but if Im running a tenth or 2 slower than the other guy... but I'm trapping 10 mph faster, that gives me peice of mind knowing once I learn how to drive, it wont even be a question of who's going to be putting down the quicker E/T's.

All you witnessed when the Camaro V6 beat that SN95 5.0 was somebody who didnt know how to drive there car. Thats all it meant...

From what Im gathering here is, you'ed rather be behind the wheel of the car that won... and not the car that can actually go quicker once you figure out what your doing...

Like I said, if you had witnessed a Z06 trap 107mph but only came up with a high 13 and a 350Z beat it but only trapped 95mph, you'ed rather have the 350Z just because you saw it run the faster quarter mile time? Again like iv been pounding into the ground for a while now, all it means is the guy in the Z06 cant drive his car at that point. It doesnt mean the Z06 is slower than the 350Z...

Last edited:

Domeskilla

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I agree, the AutoX isnt really my cup of tea either... however if your planning on drag racing, I'd still think the Cobra is the way to go, Less than a year we've got guys running mid 9's... some on the Stock IRS. Less than a year must mean it didnt take them long at all to find that power, and to think we've barely scratched the surface on what this car is truely capable of. My thinking was about which car would I be able to make fast the easiest and the least ammount of money that I wont have to worry about falling apart on me 5000miles down the road because it cant withstand the stress of certain modifications.

I'm not denying that.. There are newer ls1's in the 9's on MTI's site, that have been there forever. But they DO run n2o. Lingenfelter has a TT vette running 8.98 and gets 30 miles per gallon. I know the Cobra's are nice cars... i want one..

Well like you said a win is a win, and thats true... but just because some guys here run 13 seconds in there 03 Cobras doesnt mean thats all they're good for... A man like yourself thats seems to be into drag racing should realize that. Iv heard of 03 Cobra's Z06'es and Vipers that have only ran a 14 second ET... As has been established 1000 times before, it doesnt mean thats all those cars are good for.

I know that isn't all they are good for.. i've seen em run 13's and i seen a stock one run 12.2 here. Be it the driver was pounding the hell out of it, it still got a best of 12.2 (before a flame, it was 60 degrees and for once, no humidty in November.)

Well mph should matter to you... 15.8 @ 86... If the GT was running a higher mph with a slower ET that just means the guy wasnt that great a driver... Like Iv said before, indeed a win is a win, but just because you win doesnt necisarily mean you have the faster car.

That all depends. If the driver can't drive it right and i keep winning with a slower mph, then i'm all for being slower in the mp department. But i didnt say they were all faster, i said i've seen them, take em. Yes, 99% of the drivers here.. suck, to be honest about it. I'm not a pro either by any means.

I could take my 03 Cobra out, spin half way down the quarter... miss 3 gears and run a mid 14 second quarter, and a honda S2000 could blow by me in the other lane. Now by all means the S2000 won fair and square... but you know as well as I do that the S2000 isnt truely the quicker car, all that means is either Im an incredibly shitty driver or the honda guy is a very good driver.

Yes, but as i said before.. i wasn't meaning for them all to be faster. I was simply saying i've seen them take the GT's before. Not every race, but 1 v6 beating the gt, does give me the right to boast it. :)

Now those 94/95 GT's, even though like I said not quite as strong as most of the other Mustangs that came out of the 90's, I know were good for more than a high 15.

Yea, some are running faster.. some run slower. But this is 2003 and those cars are from 1994 and 1995. When you goto the track, as i also said, most of them are stock. They have 120-150K miles on them (ppl drive their cars forever before selling 99% of the time).. So you have a tired and worn motor. The v6 is generally what the chicks get.. so they aren't driven as hard.. you get a 95 camaro with around 50-60K miles here.. a gt of that era, is hard to find one under 110K.

Remember driving skill isnt included in the window sticker price. Just because you buy a mid or a low 12 second car doesnt mean its going to run that fast with you in the drivers seat, however it doesnt mean that car isnt capable of running mid to low 12's.

Yes, i know.. that reminds me of the lambo that was wasted at ATL raceway.. i guess the guy thought skill came with he 450K price tag?

So when you compare cars like that just make sure you take into consideration, esspecially in a situation that seems almost too radical to be true esspecially in the scenario that a V6 Camaro could beat a 94/95 Mustang GT, that it could possibly have something to do with the lack of ones ability to drive there car, not just go on about how car A beat car B that must absolutely positivly mean that Car A has to be the faster car.

Yes.. it could have.. but i wasn't arguing that.. i simply posted "i've seen v6 camaro's take some gt's" .. and i get yelled at. Of course that what will happen on a Ford board.. everyone thinks its never going to happen and sticking up for their blue oval. But it could have been a freak, a fluke or a crappy driver.. whatever it was.. it happened and i shouldn't be called a liar or whatever else was said.. ya know.. i never said it was 2 pro drivers driving them or that a gt can't take a v6 camaro at all.

Domeskilla

Established Member
Thats true, I would too... but if Im running a tenth or 2 slower than the other guy... but I'm trapping 10 mph faster, that gives me peice of mind knowing once I learn how to drive, it wont even be a question of who's going to be putting down the quicker E/T's.

All you witnessed when the Camaro V6 beat that SN95 5.0 was somebody who didnt know how to drive there car. Thats all it meant...

From what Im gathering here is, you'ed rather be behind the wheel of the car that won... and not the car that can actually go quicker once you figure out what your doing...

Like I said, if you had witnessed a Z06 trap 107mph but only came up with a high 13 and a 350Z beat it but only trapped 95mph, you'ed rather have the 350Z just because you saw it run the faster quarter mile time? Again like iv been pounding into the ground for a while now, all it means is the guy in the Z06 cant drive his car at that point. It doesnt mean the Z06 is slower than the 350Z...

Yea, if i keep winning and win that days events or whatever.. then that lets me know you were truely faster in the mph and learn to drive and you'd have me.. gives me reason to make my car faster. I wasn't disputing that. I was disputing 1 race. B/c you dont get retakes or a million races at the track. Most of the tracks are packed and you're lucky to get 5 runs in after waiting for 10 hrs.

I want a 94-95 GT, but it wont stay stock for long..

A friend of mine is trapping 130-135 and only running 10.8-10.7 with a 1.6 60 footer. Now, his last time out, he won the bracket he was in, but the other car was faster.. My point is.. at that exact moment, you dont care if the other car is truely faster, if you win, you won and you can go make your car faster, and come back for next time.

03CobraBro

Established Member

A friend of mine is trapping 130-135 and only running 10.8-10.7 with a 1.6 60 footer. Now, his last time out, he won the bracket he was in, but the other car was faster.. My point is.. at that exact moment, you dont care if the other car is truely faster, if you win, you won and you can go make your car faster, and come back for next time.

Your missing the whole point... THe point is you want to be in the faster car, the car thats trapping a faster mph at the end of the quarter... because in the long run, if you can learn to drive that to its fullest potential its going to grant you alot faster ET's(which seems to be what your interested in) than that car thats trapping 10 mph slower.

Your bad mouthing the Mustang GT because you saw one lose to a V6 camaro... The V6 camaro stock IS NOT as quick as the Mustang GT (which you are trying to emphasis) and thats the point here. The Mustang GT you saw run had a driver in it that didnt know how to drive, which is why he trapped a higher speed with a slower E/T.

I think your getting confused... your thinking that the Mustang GT for instance can only trap high 15's but has a higher mph, but since the Camaro V6 ran a faster quarter mile but had a much lower mph that automatically makes it the faster car, all that means is the Camaro V6 had a driver that could pull it off and lucked out because the guy in the Mustang didnt know how to drive. but the point is, with the mustang GT pulling that higher mph that means that the car isnt being driven as fast as it can, which means if you can learn to drive the Mustang GT you'll be posting much faster E/T's than that Camaro V6 could ever hope to achieve.

Your getting driver ability and the cars ability confused. With comperable drivers that Camaro V6 will not trap as high an E/T as an SN95 5.0 simply because it isnt running quick enough (mph wise) to make it happen in order for the V6 Camaro to be the quicker car it would not only have to pull the quicker E/T but post a higher speed at the end of the quarter.

As far as compatition goes, if you dont know how to drive your car, you dont need to be in a compatition in the first place. Bracket racing holds no value when compairing 2 cars... Its all about who hits closest to there dial in. Its the only form of racing where a stock civic could possibly beat a Mclaren F1. Its all about the number you dial in and has nothing to do with the true ability of the car so bracket racing holds no worth in this conversation.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
Well let me put it this way domeskilla, Would you rather be in the V6 camaro, driving it as fast as it could possibly go to a 15.8? Or would you rather be in the Mustang GT, maybe experience a loss here or there, learn how to drive it, and put that V6 camaro in its place?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Very interesting thread. Here's my 2 cents....

First off, the V6 Camaro would be a much better match with the 96-98 GT's, since they are the biggest turds to ever wear the GT badge (no flame, just stating the facts). Buddy of mine had a V6 Camaro that ran 14.6 @ 94mph with only a K&N. He could drive the piss out of it though. I also hung with a 96 GT on the highway in my mother's bone stock Grand Prix GT.

Yes MPH CAN be an indicator of a car's potential, but not necessarily. If a car has a monster top end (ie big turbo, big cubes, etc) or a combination of cam/heads/intake that produce big top end power, the car will probably have a good trap speed. BUT, if it's not that fast through the 1/8, and really only comes on after that point, they can still get drug by a car running several mph slower through the 1/4 but puts the power down evenly throughout. It's only a 1/4 mile race, and usually I'd pick the car with the better MPH as the "fastest car" with the "most potential" but it's just not always the case.

If I had to choose between a V6 Camaro or a 94-95 GT, I'd take the GT all the way, because it's faster stock and has way more potential (even though they took out the forged pistons and put in the hyperpuketectics).

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraHopeful

First off, the V6 Camaro would be a much better match with the 96-98 GT's, since they are the biggest turds to ever wear the GT badge (no flame, just stating the facts). Buddy of mine had a V6 Camaro that ran 14.6 @ 94mph with only a K&N. He could drive the piss out of it though. I also hung with a 96 GT on the highway in my mother's bone stock Grand Prix GT.

I still think it would have had to have been the 94/95 GT's... Those were only rated at 215hp, 10 to 15 hp less than what the foxes were rated at, not to mention the fact they weighed close to a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Domeskilla

Established Member
Well let me put it this way domeskilla, Would you rather be in the V6 camaro, driving it as fast as it could possibly go to a 15.8? Or would you rather be in the Mustang GT, maybe experience a loss here or there, learn how to drive it, and put that V6 camaro in its place?

You already know i'm getting a 94-95 gt, i said it above.. i wasnt trying to say they were superior to the gt's, i said i've seen em beat them.

As for the "missing the point" reply you gave above ( i didnt read it all, i was done replying to the thread.. hence my PM).. but no, i was using the 130-135mph trap, as an indicator.. the car is suppose to run low 10's, high 9's on that trap.. right?, but only ran a best of 10.71 that day (be it was 100 with 90% humidity).. I was helping make YOUR point..

Domeskilla

Established Member
I still think it would have had to have been the 94/95 GT's... Those were only rated at 215hp, 10 to 15 hp less than what the foxes were rated at, not to mention the fact they weighed close to a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Yes... it was the 94-95 gt's.. i think they only put aorund 180 to the wheels.. where as the camaro put either 160 or 180 to wheels in that era.. now they put 220 or so to the wheels.

No, i dont think the 96-98 gt's were the turds.. they weren't lightning fast, but i hear with a few things like pi heads and stuff, they are nice cars.. i just personally would rather stick to something i know and that is pushrods. :)

03CobraBro

Established Member

As for the "missing the point" reply you gave above ( i didnt read it all, i was done replying to the thread.. hence my PM).. but no, i was using the 130-135mph trap, as an indicator.. the car is suppose to run low 10's, high 9's on that trap.. right?, but only ran a best of 10.71 that day (be it was 100 with 90% humidity).. I was helping make YOUR point..

I realize that... but you were saying at that exact moment you would have wanted the faster ET and the answer is Yes... But unfortunatly some factor there caused the car to run slower than it should have, and that doesnt make the guy that won necisarily the faster car. I would have wanted to win, but I would still rather be in the faster car because I know I stand more of a chance of winning if I can harness that power correctly, than the guy thats trapping the lower mph and praying to god that the guy in the fast car F's up. Thats the point I was trying to make... you were making the 94/95 GT sound like it wasnt all that fast because you saw one get beat by a V6 camaro.

Last edited:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Come on are you serious that has to be a Photoshop chop....looks like a 360 rear with a nasty 68-69 grille with like 73 amc javalin front fenders and HRE rims.. I think it would make a cool Matchbox car or maybe a Wal-Mart quality R/C car.

Users who are viewing this thread