2007+ F150 vs. 2007+ Silverado, your opinions please.

F150 vs. Silverado vs. Other

• F150

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • Silverado

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coiled03

Established Member
Just looking for the opinion of SVTP on this.

If you were going to buy a new, or very slightly used truck right now, would it be a 2007 - up F150, a 2007 - up Silverado, or something else?

The truck will be used primarily as a DD for work, with occasional use for hauling material for home improvement projects, etc.. Yes, I realize the gas mileage will suck, and when the price of gas goes back up, it'll suck even worse. But, at this point in my life, I need a vehicle capable of hauling things.

I'm looking at a crew cab with something as close to a 6.5' bed as possible - none of this stubby 5.5' bed crap. I don't really care if it's a 4x4 or not. I'm leaning towards a 4x4 if only because I'd like to have the capability for the few times each year I might need it, and the gas mileage hit isn't that significant, imho. But, if 4x2s are significantly less maintenance, or more available, or something like that, I might go that route.

I don't care how fast it is, although I would like something that is farily comfortable, as trucks go.

So, what's your vote and why.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I like to hear some input on this as well. Im thinking about picking up a 08+ F150 and would love to get some opinions from the owners.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I've always been a Ford truck guy. My 02 F150 Supercrew was great. My brother in law has a 07 and it's an even better truck. I'm still not sure whether the next vehicle I get is going to be another truck or not. If I do, it's going to be another 4x4 F150. Get the 4x4, you will be kicking yourself in the ass when you need it and don't have it. There is no extra maintenance for a 4x4 compared to a 4x2. You might want to swap out the diff fluid from time to time if you are using it really hard, but that's it.

EZMachN

Established Member
Chevrolet in terms of comfort. Don't rule that out. Dad has an F150 and it is not comfortable after a long haul. But my Tahoe on the other hand is great. Both are great trucks though.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Both are very good. It will come down to options and small details like that. Test drive both and decide.

FWIW, the Chevy will have a 100k powertrain warranty if that's worth anything to you.

Lowrie

Established Member
Lookswise, the F-150, although the Chevy isn't ugly, either. As far as which is more capable in tough situations, I have to admit that all I hear is how good the Chevy is. I drive a Chevy for work and they're pretty good.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
As much as I hate to admit, the chevy seats are a little more comfortable. Everything else goes to the F-150 though. I had an '04 and my current '06 is great. You have to just go drive them and get a feel for what you are looking for. Definately get the 4x4 as mentioned above.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Ford truck fit and finish > Chevy and Dodge.

Quality is at least as good if not better. That's my opinion and my experience anyway.

tistan

Established Member
I have always been a Ford truck guy until my buddy bought a 07 Tundra. The Tundra doesn't look as good, but the power, 6speed auto, and the way it drives makes up for that.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
it is my opinion and my opinion only that if someone prefers a silverado over a f-150 clearly knows nothing about trucks and prefers a truck that you could put wheels and a fancy paint job over a truck that is sturdy and made for work.

DivineDetail

Established Member
from what i've experianced, if you're looking for a work truck that's going to be a quarter ton, you'll be best off with the 150. The 5.3 just isn't gutsy enough, and the 6.0 doesn't come in a base 1500. I think it's an almost $3k option. The 5.4 is a good motor, and it tows fairly well for a quarter ton. I used my old 02 150 crew to tow a 28 foot car hauler with the vette in it back from colorado(4k+ kms) and it did fairly well considering the weight of it all(500lbs below its capacity). The new silverado and F150 both have an option 6spd auto(definatly something I'd get).

I found the GMs to be more comfortable, so as a DD that'd be a better truck imo. The 150's seats were a little stiffer and made my butt go to sleep pretty badly on the roadtrip, and my friends newer 150 isn't any better. That being said, for the ammount of time we were in my truck, it was far from uncomfortable. Either way, I think you'll be pleased with the trucks. They are both great vehicles, and looks great. Plus, you can't beat the versatility of a truck. I already miss mine.

Steve2050

Established Member
My 2008 F150 Lariat is better than my 2001 F150 in many respects. I think it is easier on gas, better ride, looks, interior, options, etc. I tow my 24' enclosed race trailer with no problem. The F150 has a stronger frame than GM's 1/2 ton. The GM ride is a little too mushy for me.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I've owned a few Ford trucks and now own an '08 Silverado and I love it. Very comfortable, plenty of power, good warranty, and I got a great deal on it. Test drive each for a weekend and see which one you like, because honestly they're both good trucks.

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
I drive both brands of crew cabs -
Driver comfort, the Silverado is clearly better - especially for my 6'6" frame.

Powerwise (5.3 vs 5.4) - no difference but the Silverado get's better combined gas mileage - 17 mpg around town and around 21-22 hwy.

Both are rated for about the same load.

Ride -the Silverado does ride a little softer, but also has a little more frame flex - don't know about the 4X4 versions.

Maintenance / problems - both are like the Energizer Bunny - they just keep going with no problems.

My own choice is the Silverado - mainly for the driver comfort.

Bird

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
Go with the chevy. Its a far supeiror truck. If you could live with an extended cab they are very cheap right now. Go with the 4x4, it will help with resale. Another thing to consider is if you get a 1500 crew cab you cant get a full 6 foot box. The 6 litre is a bad ass motor and worth the extra money. I drive an 06 duramax crew cab every day and you couldn't give me a new ford truck.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
In the Half tons, the chevy kicks the fords ass...

A 5.4 3V gets TERRIBLE gas mileage, while the 5.3L Chevy with the cylinder deactivation gets amazing highway mpg and far better in town mpg too..

I like the ford interior alot more and the ford seems to be a tougher truck, but if you're just looking at 1/2 tons, the chevy is honestly a better overall bargain..

Now if you look at heavy duty's, I would never consider a chevy..

Ford or Dodge.. Period

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
My mom drives like a grandma in her 07 F150 Supercrew 4x4 and has gotten a BEST of 13.9 mpg in town and 15.1 on the highway..

My buds 07 silverado gets 20-21 on the highway and on avg 18-19 in town.. Both trucks seem to make about the same power, but for some reason the silvervado seems alot lighter and a lil quicker..

Users who are viewing this thread