2007 Shelby Weight Problem????

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Cichlids said:
When is the actually release date for the GT500 is it in the 1st quarter of 06?

Job 1 according to SVT is still June 06, but you never know with Ford, it could end up being later by a few months............

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
First of all, we are comparing cars for another reason....Any manufacturer, can add some components to an existing car and say its the greatest since swiss cheese.....All we are saying is, if you are going to follow in the Shelby tradition, and for over 40,000.00...how about doing a little more engineering to replace some weight in the unibody, so that the car really has no equal....Chevrolet does it with the Corvettes, why can't Ford do it...(Aluminum block, lightweight body components......etc....etc....)

This would be a good argument if the C6 and the GT500 were the same price, but they are not. (C6 starts at 44900, 46195 w/avg equip-numbers from GMs site- vs somewhere just north of 40,000 for the GT500 -although we really dont know what list will be yet nor do we know really what we will see in the production car but that is a whole different matter)
I dont want to hear about dealer markup either, thats not Fords greed but the dealers. If you are dumb enough to pay it, well then that is your problem.
I would like to think (hope) that if HTT had another 4 or 5 grand added to the price of this car that maybe he could have lightened up the car and added a few things that many feel are missing. (independant rear, aluminum block...etc.)

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
blueovalkid said:
The weight of the GT500 coupe is 3850. (at least that is what the mags are telling us) With ten gallons of fuel AND the driver it is 4155.
Yes I wish the car was lighter too, but I dont believe the extra 200lbs that the car has over the 03-04 Cobra, is going to ruin the car either.

The whole C6 comparison is irrelevant to me. I DONT want a Corvette! I want a Mustang! I wish everyone who keeps threatening to buy a Corvette instead, would... and then leave! Thats more for us! And dont let the door hit you on the ass on the way out! Rant off. :cuss:

+1 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
blueovalkid said:
This would be a good argument if the C6 and the GT500 were the same price, but they are not. (C6 starts at 44900, 46195 w/avg equip-numbers from GMs site- vs somewhere just north of 40,000 for the GT500 -although we really dont know what list will be yet nor do we know really what we will see in the production car but that is a whole different matter)
I dont want to hear about dealer markup either, thats not Fords greed but the dealers. If you are dumb enough to pay it, well then that is your problem.
I would like to think (hope) that if HTT had another 4 or 5 grand added to the price of this car that maybe he could have lightened up the car and added a few things that many feel are missing. (independant rear, aluminum block...etc.)

You do realize that $4 or $5,000 between two cars costing around or over $40,000 is irrelevant. That comes out to less than $100 a month, depending on finance length and APR. If you are buying a $40,000+ car, what the hell is $70 or $80 a month? NOTHING!

Nit picking a $5k cost difference between two cars at this price range is retarded. Even more so than when this was done with the Mustang GT and GTO, atleast those cars were $30k or below, and $25k for base Mustang GT might be the ceiling of someones budget. That is not going to be the case when we are talking $40k+ cars.

The two cars are competetively priced and price will not be the reason someone buys one over the other. Thus, they can essentially be viewed as the same price. Then again, they are two very different cars, where the only thing they share in common is 8 cylinders.

Last edited:

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
Formula51 said:
You do realize that $4 or $5,000 between two cars costing around or over $40,000 is irrelevant. That comes out to less than $100 a month, depending on finance length and APR. If you are buying a $40,000+ car, what the hell is $70 or $80 a month? NOTHING!

Nit picking a $5k cost difference between two cars at this price range is retarded. Even more so than when this was done with the Mustang GT and GTO, atleast those cars were $30k or below, and $25k for base Mustang GT might be the ceiling of someones budget. That is not going to be the case when we are talking $40k+ cars.

The two cars are competetively priced and price will not be the reason someone buys one over the other. Thus, they can essentially be viewed as the same price. Then again, they are two very different cars, where the only thing they share in common is 8 cylinders.

I was not price shopping the two cars!

If you read the post that I was replying to you would have seen that I was trying to make a point. That maybe, and I mean maybe, with a few thousand extra dollars in the price of the GT500, SVT might have enginered in a few of the items that some feel are missing.

Its funny how when someone mentions the price difference between the C6 and the GT500 they are "nitpicking" and "retarded" but when someone else mentions the same price gap between the 03-04's and the GT500 its "astronomical"!

Formula51

Established Member
blueovalkid said:
I was not price shopping the two cars!

If you read the post that I was replying to you would have seen that I was trying to make a point. That maybe, and I mean maybe, with a few thousand extra dollars in the price of the GT500, SVT might have enginered in a few of the items that some feel are missing.

Its funny how when someone mentions the price difference between the C6 and the GT500 they are "nitpicking" and "retarded" but when someone else mentions the same price gap between the 03-04's and the GT500 its "astronomical"!

Sorry, if I misinterpreted your post. Don't mistake me for one of those people that thinks the price difference between the 03/04 Cobra and the GT500 is "astronomical". I do not think this at all. I do however think that $40k is getting dangerously expensive for a Mustang Cobra.

snakedoctor

Established Member
Why pay around $50,000 for a overweight mustang that's probably gonna be only around 450 hp. I bought my 04 out the door for $29,000 which is about 200 pounds lighter and with a few mods will have the same hp level as the shelby.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
snakedoctor said:
Why pay around $50,000 for a overweight mustang that's probably gonna be only around 450 hp. I bought my 04 out the door for $29,000 which is about 200 pounds lighter and with a few mods will have the same hp level as the shelby.

Where are you getting $50,000 from? Oh and what hp level do you think the GT500 will be at with a "few mods"

snakedoctor

Established Member
If you think that you can buy a new shelby for under 50 grand then you have fallen out of your tree. The dealers are gonna have a field day with these cars.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
snakedoctor said:
If you think that you can buy a new shelby for under 50 grand then you have fallen out of your tree. The dealers are gonna have a field day with these cars.
the dealers had a "field day" with the Terminators when they first hit as well.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
snakedoctor said:

It's going to be like any other car that comes out with high demand. If you want to be the first one to own it you will pay 50k for it. If you're willing to wait a few or several months you will most likely get it for MSRP? :bored:

These are very simple econ 101 principals that have been demonstrated with several cars lately. :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
snakedoctor said:

why pay 43,000 for an overweight mustang that is only around 420hp? that was the price for a 03 cobra in dec 02 at my local dealer. i offered 35.5 otd and when they turned it down i purchased my mach 1 when it came in.

the same thing will happen to the gt500. and yes your 04 is still overwieght and out of balance. :rockon:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I am still going to throw this out there...We don't know how strong these new internals are going to be.(not the same as in the Ford GT)

This is what I am waiting on. If people start doing bolt on's and begin ventilating blocks with their connecting rods I wouldn't be surprised. Unless they are using a much stronger bottom end than what I am figuring them to use, 550hp may be cutting it really close as being the most safe HP you can get out of one...Ford always finds a way to cut corners. They did it with our pistons, The GT500 will most likely have good pistons and clearance, but the Rods may be lacking.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
snakedoctor said:
all I'm saying is that the shelby is overhyped. Ya'll will see when it comes out. There are gonna be alot of hurt feelings.

nothing against the 03/04. they are still are one hell of a car. what many people forget is that what made the last generation cobra so great is the exact same thing that is going into the new gt500.
bottom line we are getting a new 03 cobra(different body/chasis) with more horsepower. this shoud be a reason to cheer. :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
New 03 cobra...Only about well, zero parts are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread