2008 gt500 electrical issue?

TheGovernment

Established Member
So I'm driving home tonight from work in the 500 and notice about halfway home, that my gauges,radio windows etc are all dead but the car is still running and driving, just nothing works..... WTF? lol
As Im getting closer to my home, I decided to pull off down a side street and see whats up (though maybe ignition etc) I shut the car down, try to start it but it just tick tick tick.... the battery is pretty new, I drove around a few hours before for a good solid hour with no issues.... Luckly I keep one of the small booster packs in the car with me. So I try and boost it, it sounds weird, like trying to start but not actually doing it. Then i shut off ignition and it fires right up, everything works, gauges, windows etc... I drive about 100 feet and start getting error messages on everything, ebrake on, doors ajar, traction control error, just like when you install a tune, then it all goes dead again and the car runs, but it's sputtering like crazy and the security light is the only thing blinking in the dash... I only had 2 blocks left to go and coasted home.

I can take the battery to work and check it no problem but does that sound like a battery issue? alternator maybe? no matter what I'm gonna have to get it towed I imagine.. maybe someone else had something similar happen?

thanks

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'd run your battery up to the auto parts store if you don't have a charger. Have them charge it for free then load test it. If it checks out good it's most likely the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enormous

Established Member
Yup, been there with the same sort of issue on my 08 and agree with the two other posters above. You likely require a new alternator and doing it yourself with simple tools is your best option.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Ya i'm assuming the alternator is the issue, I even got a lean code, so the fuel pumps weren't getting voltage.
Im just going to get one regardless and one of bps's pulleys to slow it down. It's funny, bps was shipping out my headers tomorrow, so the pulley can just come with them lol kinda good luck I guess.

TheGovernment

Established Member
Lol im not doing it, I get a free tow and it will get done same time as my headers. I work at a GM dealership and trade paint work for mechanical withy buddy there..... He's gonna have a double whammy..... Headers and a alternator hahaha!!!

Imatk

Established Member
Have fun with that alternator swap - it's a bitch.

Agreed... I did it TWICE before I bought a Nations... then I read a tip that would have saved me probably an hour each time.

Rubber bands for those two long bolts that hit the body... sigh

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Alternator, same thing happened to me last year. Replaced with a new stock unit as the aftermarket versions are very expensive and considering I got 8 years out of the factory one I'll take my chances. Plus I've heard of lots of bad PA Performance alts right out of the box or soon after install.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i did the alt swap myself. not too bad with some good tips i received. i dont recall them now lol.

dont know how much you drive your car but a key for these cars is to keep them on a trickle charger. this will help prolong the life of the alt.

fullboogie

Established Member
i did the alt swap myself. not too bad with some good tips i received. i dont recall them now lol.

dont know how much you drive your car but a key for these cars is to keep them on a trickle charger. this will help prolong the life of the alt.

I tried that, but there's a really weird problem I experienced - my car alarm would randomly go off. The zone indicator showed it was the ignition. Googling showed that many Viper (mine) and Clifford alarms have this problem and cannot be used with a trickle charger. So if anyone has strange alarm problems when using a trickle charger, now you know.

Users who are viewing this thread