2008 GT500 finally back from Pro Edge.

Joewee500

Established Member
Cliffs notes: bought a turd, sent it to bill miller at Pro Edge tuning in CT, car is back 700whp on mustang dyno. I'm happy. Full story below.

To set the story up I got burned with the purchase of a modded GT500. On paper it was a great deal and perfect car. It drove great but I never flogged it hard on the test drive.

The car is unloaded off the trailer and I go for a spin. Car had Kenne bell 2.8, triple pumps, 72lb injectors, headers and 740whp tuned at Dallas Mustang(signed off on cars great condition). I try to do a little brisk driving and FAIL SAFE mode. I restart the car and try again and it repeats every time.

I make inquiries on this forum about what I need and who to send the car to. I ran across Jay, Blwn04svtcobra, with his 900+whp gt500 and that led me to ProEdge Tuning and Bill Miller. I called Bill and he said he could send me a tune for whatever combo I had and he never once said my combo wasn't tunable or I needed this part or that part like others I talked to. I decided to ship the car from Louisiana to New Haven, CT.

The car arrived at midnight and Bill was there to take delivery. He immediately new it was more than a tuning issue. I gave the go ahead to dig in and they found the Kenne Bell was trash, had lower compression on multiple cylinders and other issues. Looks like I need a build.
zv2xee.jpg

The Engine goes to Don Wood, supercharger is sent off and I order parts. I am in the back of the line of builds considering my car was supposed to only need a tune. Tick tock and time goes by. Bill always stays in touch and sends pics and vids throughout the process. The blizzards of 14-15 slow things down but I stay patient.

When the Supercharger gets back from kenne bell Jay ports/welds the elbow. Powder coats it and its ready for install.
osefch.jpg

2hzk6zs.jpg

16benhl.jpg

Jay also ported the throttle body
11b16iv.jpg

The engine is back and is ready to install
153002g.jpg

I decide at that point that I will upgrade the old Fore triple pump returnless to a new Fore dual pump return setup and try e85.
nnw10k.jpg

After all is said and done the car hit the dyno and hit the 700whp goal with stock heads and cams.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJGggMTbj0

My driving impressions are that this car is very strong. Broke traction at 70 the night I unloaded it off the trailer. Drag radials mounted the next day. Idles at 750, no failsafes and doesn't miss a beat. I couldn't be happier.

I would like to thank everyone involved. Big thanks to Bill Miller at ProEdge in New Haven, CT for putting it all together and tuning my car to perfection. He is a genius and someone I can now call my friend.
Thanks to Jay for all of the port work and being instrumental in me finding my way to ProEdge and also for bringing Bill the E85 to tune my car. Above and beyond.
Thanks to Don Wood for building my engine.
Thanks to Van at RevanRacing for Various parts purchased as well as some guidance in the beginning.
Thanks to Lethal Performance for a great holiday deal on the McLeod RXT clutch.
If there is anyone I missed I will edit the list later.

VegasMichael

Established Member
That car definitely got some TLC. Glad everything worked out. Out of curiosity, what were the particulars inre the KB being "trash?"

Joewee500

Established Member
this is an awesome thread.

question - what was the reason to not crank it up? i see you did many thing to safely build power.
I just wanted a solid 10 sec car that I didn't have to worry about as much. Bill said there was more left in it tune wise and I had a smaller pulley available to add more boost. Maybe one day I will turn it up a bit.

That car definitely got some TLC. Glad everything worked out. Out of curiosity, what were the particulars inre the KB being "trash?"

It was overheated. Blades had made contact and that little green thing inside(sorry for my ignorance) was melted. I had it upgraded to liquid cooling while it was out too.

Joewee500

Established Member
What was the deal on the engine? Burnt pistons? Bad rings?

It was actually a fresh rebuild that was supposedly "built" but after digging deep it was rebuilt by a 2nd rate shop to stock specs. If I had to guess, it wasn't broken in properly causing several of the pistons/rings to not seat properly. The pulley combo was a 3"/10% lower but made only 19lbs boost before rebuild. That pulley combo was 23-24lbs on my rebuild...too much for me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

It was overheated. Blades had made contact and that little green thing inside(sorry for my ignorance) was melted. ...

No way! It's impossible for something like that to happen to a KB blower! They're immune! :poke:

Seriously, though, why didn't he fab up a metal plate and weld it in place versus that horrible looking blob of welding on the blower?

Joewee500

Established Member
No way! It's impossible for something like that to happen to a KB blower! They're immune! :poke:

Seriously, though, why didn't he fab up a metal plate and weld it in place versus that horrible looking blob of welding on the blower?

Yeah I've read the literature about Kenne Bells never doing this but I apparently won the lotto with bad luck on this car.

I'm sure Jay has other pics. It wasn't left a "blob". Finished product is silky smooth.
15guttv.jpg

intloj.jpg

1320 Junkie

Established Member

Lol....blob...it's called dimes on dimes...then sand to perfection.

Joey your journey was a rough one but you will now reap the fruits of your patience. Enjoy the car...Bill is just a data log and tune revision away for more Powah!!!

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
Congrats Joey on your new killer. Enjoy it ! As I said before you made a great choice and your in great hands with Billy @ Pro Edge and Don @R.A.D .

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Sorry about your bad luck but it worked out well. Unfortunately you spent a lot more than what you planned when buying the car but that happens to almost everyone with the mod bug. Good luck and have fun with the new build.

Users who are viewing this thread