2010-2011 Mustang owners. JL Audio Stealthbox users.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Who has one installed in your car? What are your impressions of the sub and amps performance? Are there any extensive modifications needed to the radio to get this to play nice with the rest of the system or is it P-n-P?

Ford Mustang Stealthbox by JL Audio

18409.jpg

18408.jpg

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
What all is needed for this install??? Is it plug and play?

You need your own amp. I have an older "slash" JL 250/1 from a stealthbox I had in my F250.

You have to run power to the trunk for the amp (4 gauge). Ground the amp. Splice into both rear speakers and run the wires into RCA plugs for the inputs to the amp. Then run the speaker wire from amp to the sub.

BUT the sub plops right into the trunk and you have a serious 13" woofer.

If you want more plug-n-play- the shelby kicker sub will work- it's amp it built in.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Great to hear. Where did you mount the amp? I have a JL 250/1. I'm thinking about screwing to the back of the rear seat...

That amp is really way too small for that sub. I used a Kicker 500.1 and mounted it behind the carpet behind the sub, so the amp is completly hidden.

The sub hits pretty hard for the little space that it actually takes out of the trunk.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I was hoping that wasn't the case. The JL 500/1 is $600. Since I already have the 250/1, I'll give it a try first to see how it works. Good idea on mounting it behind the sub- I'll give that a try.

According to JL's website, the 13W3v3 requires:
11630.jpg

Last edited:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Yea never pay anywhere near $600 for a 500w amp. For that price you can get over 6 times as much power. I spent $1000 on both my amps and I clamp a clean 7-8k watts rms. You can get quality 500rms amps in the $100-200 range.

mixxer

Established Member
I was hoping that wasn't the case. The JL 500/1 is $600. Since I already have the 250/1, I'll give it a try first to see how it works. Good idea on mounting it behind the sub- I'll give that a try.

According to JL's website, the 13W3v3 requires:
11630.jpg

Be careful you dont burn the sub up. It is a lot easier to burn up a sub with too little power that with too much power.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I am not too impressed with the Shaker system in the 12', and seems like my 05' Shaker 500 was a better sounding set up. It seems that there is too much bass/mids coming from the doors and not enough of the highs. When listening to talk show (sirius or morning commute show) the voices are very muffled and almost difficult to hear unless you really turn the volume up. Anyone else have this issue?

cmsnake

Established Member
I am not too impressed with the Shaker system in the 12', and seems like my 05' Shaker 500 was a better sounding set up. It seems that there is too much bass/mids coming from the doors and not enough of the highs. When listening to talk show (sirius or morning commute show) the voices are very muffled and almost difficult to hear unless you really turn the volume up. Anyone else have this issue?
I do. I know exactly what you are talking about. The stereo is the most disappointing thing about the new Mustang. I love the sync and ipod hookup but the sound quality just isnt there. Maybe Im being a little harsh because I did just come from a bmw with the logic 7 stereo that was just absolutley sick from the factory. People who rode with me did not beleive it was OEM.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Has anyone changed the door subs only for more bass? How did this work out; considering the Shelby Kicker upgrades.

~Darren

I wouldn't I don't have nav. Without nav they sell an amp upgrade. But for the stock amp with nav I doubt the bigger door woofers will sound much better. And they stick out further. I'd worry about them hitting my leg.

Last edited:

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
You need your own amp. I have an older "slash" JL 250/1 from a stealthbox I had in my F250.

You have to run power to the trunk for the amp (4 gauge). Ground the amp. Splice into both rear speakers and run the wires into RCA plugs for the inputs to the amp. Then run the speaker wire from amp to the sub.

BUT the sub plops right into the trunk and you have a serious 13" woofer.

If you want more plug-n-play- the shelby kicker sub will work- it's amp it built in.

ok....... I've read a bunch of places that splicing into the rear speakers will not sound good as they aren't receiving bass... And u HAVE to splice into the door subs...

Users who are viewing this thread