2010-2011 Mustang owners. JL Audio Stealthbox users.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I got a reply back from JL audio and they said my 250/1 amp will work great on it, so I'm all set.

Be real careful on your settings. It is real easy to burn up a sub with too little available power.

These are the amplifier recommendations directly from the installation instructions for the JL Stealthbox.

JL Audio recommends high quality amplifiers such as the JL Audio HD900/5, 500/1v2 or J2 500.1.

The RMS rating on the sub is 600 watts continuous.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Not worried about sub. 250 is in the safe range. Jl gave me the crossover and db slope settings. An I use the test tone/ AC voltage test to set the gain. Then you have the power it puts out without clipping. Should be plenty, not trying to shake the whole car, just want to hear the bass.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Not worried about sub. 250 is in the safe range. Jl gave me the crossover and db slope settings. An I use the test tone/ AC voltage test to set the gain. Then you have the power it puts out without clipping. Should be plenty, not trying to shake the whole car, just want to hear the bass.

Just because you set the gain using that method doesn't mean you aren't clipping. The only way to tell is by using a scope. You also have to consider voltage drop. At 14v you may not be clipping but at 11v you will be.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Installed today and it all went in easy. Ran speaker wire from the driver's kick panel mounted door woofer amp- tapped those for the inputs. Ran 4 gauge wire from battery back to amp. Grounded amp 4 gauge to the body. While I was in there, upgraded the rear speakers to Polk MM571's like I did to the doors.

The JL 250/1 is more then enough for me! I have the gain almost all the way down and it still shakes the whole car.

Can't wait to go for a drive!

DSC_0503.gif

DSC_0499.gif

DSC_0498.gif

DSC_0501.gif

Wire taps on the door woofer amp wires for the JL amp.
DSC_0495.gif

Last edited:

94COBRA#22

Established Member
Great thread. I had an Alpine Nav headunit, JL C5 Comps, JL HD 900.5 and Stealthbox in my 11 GT. It was a great well balanced system that would pound if you wanted it to....I just removed it all because I traded up to a Boss so if anyone is in the market it will all be for sale soon...

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
For those of you using the stealthbox, what are you paying for them? cheapest I could was in the 600-700 range which is insane (to me) for a box.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
$700. Not insane for a quality, molded to fit perfect, 13" JL woofer rated for 600 watts RMS. Some say it's overpriced, but I think the alternatives suck. Sure you can put a square box made from MDF in there for $200 and loose your trunk, but I think it's worth it. $700 is a drop in the bucket on a $54,000 car for earth shattering bass.

92hatchlx

Established Member
I could have bought my car twice for that amount! Nice car though. Good reasoning for buying the box. if I had the money I would definitely fork it out for the stealth box.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
For those of you using the stealthbox, what are you paying for them? cheapest I could was in the 600-700 range which is insane (to me) for a box.

$700 is insane for what your getting lol. I'll spend maybe half that on my sub and enclosure and it'll look better and outperform the stealthbox in sq and spl by a long shot. But hey some people are willing to throw money away.

$700. Not insane for a quality, molded to fit perfect, 13" JL woofer rated for 600 watts RMS. Some say it's overpriced, but I think the alternatives suck. Sure you can put a square box made from MDF in there for $200 and loose your trunk, but I think it's worth it. $700 is a drop in the bucket on a $54,000 car for earth shattering bass.

bahahaha earth shattering huh? I seriously doubt that enclosure with a true 600wrms would be capable of anything over low 130dbs. If that.

The alternatives suck if you have no idea what your doing. Putting a "normal" enclosure in the trunk isn't the only other option. Not to mention for less than $100 you could replicate the stealth box enclosure then choose a much more cost efficient sub that will sound the same or better.

92hatchlx

Established Member
$700 is insane for what your getting lol. I'll spend maybe half that on my sub and enclosure and it'll look better and outperform the stealthbox in sq and spl by a long shot. But hey some people are willing to throw money away.

bahahaha earth shattering huh? I seriously doubt that enclosure with a true 600wrms would be capable of anything over low 130dbs. If that.

The alternatives suck if you have no idea what your doing. Putting a "normal" enclosure in the trunk isn't the only other option. Not to mention for less than $100 you could replicate the stealth box enclosure then choose a much more cost efficient sub that will sound the same or better.

This basically sums up what I was thinking. With some tools, time and ingenuity someone could make a very nice piece for a fraction of the cost. But to each their own. It would be feasible in my mind if it was in the 200-250 range.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member

Is it your MO to come shit on all the stereo threads and announce that you can do it better than everyone else. Obviously not everyone has your outstanding talent for car stereo installations and equipment. Quit being such a f'ing douche bag.

:loser::loser::loser:

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
This basically sums up what I was thinking. With some tools, time and ingenuity someone could make a very nice piece for a fraction of the cost. But to each their own. It would be feasible in my mind if it was in the 200-250 range.

For roughly half the price I could build a spare tire well enclosure with false floor assembly for someone. Then add subwoofer cost and they'd still be under $700 for a cleaner looking better sounding system.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
For roughly half the price I could build a spare tire well enclosure with false floor assembly for someone. Then add subwoofer cost and they'd still be under $700 for a cleaner looking better sounding system.

Show us some of your work then. Lets see what you got!!!!!

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Is it your MO to come shit on all the stereo threads and announce that you can do it better than everyone else. Obviously not everyone has your outstanding talent for car stereo installations and equipment. Quit being such a f'ing douche bag.

:loser::loser::loser:

Actually no I try to help and inform the average person that they can get a lot more for their money and that mainstream is not the way to go. I do a lot of audio consulting on another forum to promote non-mainstream companies and help people save money. I didn't mean to imply that I, myself, could do it better. What I meant was there is another better option. I am willing to educate any member who wants to do it on their own, do the work myself for a fee, or find someone in their area that can help them.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Show us some of your work then. Lets see what you got!!!!!

Here is the most recent build log for my truck before I retired it for the season to play with the mustang:
Strpperpole's 2011 build - Car Audio Classifieds
My door panels:
Strpperpolef150's door panels build - Car Audio Classifieds

Disclaimer: the truck is a spl competition truck/demo truck so not everything will be pretty.

Small budget build I did for a friend:
Small Crescendo/Sundown build - Car Audio Classifieds

Wire management by Strpperpolef150 - Car Audio Classifieds

Small build I did in a z06 years back
02 z06 Build - Car Audio Classifieds

Sorry this is all links but it better justifies my work than a few pictures. The build I do in the mustang will be the cleanest build I do to date because I'm ocd and will have the time to do it the way I want.

Galimore

Established Member
It's not terribly hard to do a cheaper build yourself, but it will take quite a bit of time. I just finished up my stereo build a few weeks ago and I'm thrilled with the way it turned out but I invested a LOT of hours into it. I used a 24" diameter sonotube and fiberglassed the bottom of the spare tire well and then used two sheets of 3/4" mdf to cap the top where a Sundown Audio SA-12 and Eclipse 5 channel amp are mounted. I then built some custom brackets to mount some Image Dynamics 6.5" components into the doors and matching coaxials in the rear deck.

I didn't lose more than an inch or so of my trunk and I think it sounds pretty damn good. It was my first experience with fiberglass and I really think it's something that most anyone who is (somewhat) handy with tools could do themselves over a few weekends. Just something to think about if you're considering going the DIY route.

Fiberglass/mdf ($100) + mid-grade sub ($150ish) + decent amp ($150ish) = ~$400

Stealthbox = $700

It's really up to you how much of your time that $300 is worth.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
cracks me up when people complain about what other people spend for things, I could build my Mustang to perform better than a Lambo.............

Skrapmetal

Established Member
So if someone without the shaker system were to get one of these (or build their own), what would be the best way of wiring it? I don't have door subs to splice into.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
My time worth money. $700 for a stealthbox that installed in 30 mins. Better than trying to make something myself. There's also resale value there.

92hatchlx

Established Member
cracks me up when people complain about what other people spend for things, I could build my Mustang to perform better than a Lambo.............

I don't think anyone is complaining. Just showing that there are more options out there. We're always looking for "bang for your buck" mods on here. Why not have someone elaborate on the audio side. With enough money you could build a Geo metro to perform better than a Lamborghini...

Users who are viewing this thread