2010-2012 differences

Gstick

Established Member
I am in the process of selling my 07' GT, and was going to buy a 13' Boss 302. But after reading many horror stories about the Getrag MT-82 trans, I have decided to buy a GT500. I found a 2010 GT500 locally, and am considering it. Are there any major differences between the 10' thru 12's other than 2010 was the first year for the new body style ?

Are the 2010 GT500's prone to more problems than an 11' or 12' model year ?

The car will not be used for any racing, just cruises and local shows.

Thanks !

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If its just cruising, then the differences are negligible. 2010 carried over the iron block/alum head combo and retained hydraulic power steering. 2011 was the first year of all aluminum engine and electric power steering across the Mustang lineup.

GT500's in general can have some sort of 2nd gear synchro issue (1-2 upshift grind/lockout). Typical beginning steps is a switch to Amsoil ATF and installation of an MGW Generation 2 shifter (i prefer Royal Purple Synchromax ATF personally). In some instances though, transmission rebuild is necessary. Culprit of the issue is that factory shifter and its extremely loose, and sloppy operation putting stress on the 1-2 synchro assembly inside the transmission. Since 1st is typically engaged at a stop its not symptomatic, but 1-2 upshift, its really shows how much it hates life.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
GT500's in general can have some sort of 2nd gear synchro issue (1-2 upshift grind/lockout). Typical beginning steps is a switch to Amsoil ATF and installation of an MGW Generation 2 shifter (i prefer Royal Purple Synchromax ATF personally). In some instances though, transmission rebuild is necessary. Culprit of the issue is that factory shifter and its extremely loose, and sloppy operation putting stress on the 1-2 synchro assembly inside the transmission. Since 1st is typically engaged at a stop its not symptomatic, but 1-2 upshift, its really shows how much it hates life.

LOL Lexustech you just did a really good deed (summarizing the 1-2 shift grind in Cliffs Notes form). Surprised you have the energy for that after all you've been through!

Gstick, the only other major difference that I can think of offhand is that 2011 was the first year the GT500 came with wideband o2 sensors. Although, those of us with 2007-2010 (myself included) have managed to survive with factory narrowbands. Oh well...

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
2010 has the 2007-2010 rear suspension, 2011-up got the longer more robust UCA and UCM. 2007-2010 has the smaller 2.50" exhaust system, Ford felt an upsize to 2.75" was needed at the 2011 550hp level and of course the 540hp 2010 and 550hp 2011/12. <<<Those are the functional differences I can think of without further research.......

R

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
I'm in the same ball park as you op. Just sold one fast toy and want a Shelby. I'm wanting a 2010 for the cast iron block but I'm not against the 2011 either.
I plan on dumping a bunch into the car the week I get it. I have plans on the frpp2.9 kit header back exhaust and even rear end gear work. Shifter and clutch. Tires naturally will be changed.

Cost wise the iron block is cheaper to replace but the aluminum block is dammed strong too. Its kinda a coin toss really.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I did not see this mentioned, the 2011 block deleted the sleeves and went to the spray bore. The extra 10hp is from more aggressive tuning from ford.

EPAS showed up in 2011. Became driver adjustable in 2012.

Computer changed in 2011, compatible with 2013-14 cluster and abs controller, so it is possible to add in the extra electronic goodies.

Recaros showed up in 2012

Performance pack was first available in 2011... Different, lighter and larger wheels, stiffer shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, 3.73 gearing, thin stripes, k member brace

As already mentioned, 2.75 exhaust front to back, different mufflers

I think the s/c color also changed in 2011 from black to silver, but that may have been in 2010.

The differences were compelling enough that I bought the 11 at sticker vs a heavily discounted but otherwise identical 2010 (this was in 6/2010 when I bought it).

Last edited:

Cabikejumper

Blown n stroked ;)
Established Member
10 has the power steering res in a different spot. Svtpp wasn't an option on 2010s.

Iirc, HIDs are standard on 11? Luckily my 10 came with HIDs from the factory.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The glass roof wasn't available on the 2010 MY.
01-17-2014%20PICS%20009.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The 2011 feel a tad lighter up front due to the weight savings. Other than that, it's practically same car, minus some extra options in the 11+ models, like the performance package and glass roof.

I know I did some searches on this forum a year ago when I was looking around, and there were some in depth changes between the years, but nothing too drastic other than the block and steering IMO

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
As already mentioned, 2.75 exhaust front to back, different mufflers.

I have often wondered............If Ford/SVT, through their extensive testing, felt a need to change the exhaust system from 2.50" to 2.75" at the 550hp level, what about earlier cars (2007-2010) that have been upgraded well beyond 550hp, and are still blowing through the smaller 2.50" system?

I also believe that the upsize in exhaust contributed to an amount of hp gain in these 2011-up cars, not sure what the number is, but Ford did not spend the $$$ to upgrade the exhaust size for no reason.

When I installed a full 3" on my 2008 GT500, it responded like a completely different car from the oem 2.50" cat forward with only a 2.50"catback Borla added at Shelby, especially the way it now pulls through the rpm range.....

I think the muffler hanger configuration also changed on the Mustang/GT500 somewhere in this time period, like two hang points on the earlier cars and three points on the later cars? <<Or something like that?

R

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
The change in '11 to 2.75" exhaust is due to the coyote engine coming out and having a 2.75" exhaust. It was cheaper for Ford to stock only 2.75" pipe than both the 2.5 and 2.75.

The only options available for 2010 were the nav package (touch screen head unit) and the HID headlights. As stated earlier, each year the option list got bigger.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
There's actually a pretty long list of differences between 10-11 but I'm too lazy to look it up. It's been posted several times and between 11-12 recaro's and don't forget lighted vanity mirrors lol.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The change in '11 to 2.75" exhaust is due to the coyote engine coming out and having a 2.75" exhaust. It was cheaper for Ford to stock only 2.75" pipe than both the 2.5 and 2.75.

^^^^I had not put that together. I wasn't even aware that Ford bent their own exhaust system pipes, they are usually farmed out to vendors that provide the Ford spec'ed parts to Ford.

But either way, a 2.75" system is going to flow the spent gases better than a 2.50", especially on the oem systems that are not mandrel bent and crimp down to an even smaller diameter at the bends in the axle area.

The Coyote info. is interesting.................the Ford spec. for a larger 2.75" on an engine that isn't even S/C'ed..............That alone says a lot for the performance gained by a better/larger flowing system.

Sorry to the OP, this got off into a exhaust system discussion also, but it is a difference in the year range of GT500's you are asking about.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread