2010-2012 differences

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
That extra 1/4" is not going to make any difference in performance. As previously stated above, Ford had extra tubing left over, and used it. Don't give those Ford engineers too much credit, they BOTCHED the gear shift lever :nonono:

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That extra 1/4" is not going to make any difference in performance. As previously stated above, Ford had extra tubing left over, and used it. Don't give those Ford engineers too much credit, they BOTCHED the gear shift lever :nonono:

I was thinking these GT500's were engineered, spec'ed and tested by Ford's Special Vehicle Team and their SVE engineering dept. (possibly Ford Racing now), at least at the powertrain level, not by the regular Ford engineers who do the Mustang GT, maybe I am wrong? I wouldn't think that Mustang GT engineers are driving around those thinly veiledcamo'ed GT500 test mule(s) before the car comes to the production level?

I still say that Ford does not make/bend any of their oem assy. line exhaust parts and that these parts are spec'ed by Ford and a vendor (Walker exhaust, etc.) builds the pipes and mufflers and ships them to the assy. plant by the train car load, as many other parts that are assembled on the Ford assy. line.

I agree about the shifter, but I also understand bean counters, the bean counters won. I wonder who makes the oem GT500 shifter for Ford, I'll bet it is not Ford?

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
You are right in that the GT500 is an SVT product, but they still make decisions with team mustang.

I agree with that for sure, and that is where the bean counters come into play.................but where the parts are actually made for Ford, there are many that are farmed out to vendors. <<This has been common practice for years.........Ford assembles the parts, but they do not "make" all of the parts, and that is where I believe it doesn't matter what the Coyote has/had for exhaust, the company who makes the exhaust for Ford has all of the exhuast pipe sizes that can be imagined, and they built the specific systems to Ford's spec's no matter what size it is, and for some reason, Ford chose 2.75", instead of 2.50" for the 2011 GT500.

If a person has been around performance cars for any amount of time, they know that the "more/better flow" of the spent gases, the better performance, it has been that way since I can remember, even on the earliest cars from the muscle car era, a 2.00" to 2.25" system upgrade was a big deal and that was a N/A application, not even S/C'ed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 2.50 to 2.75 pipe size upgrade is worth 10 or 15hp, but it may add 3-5hp on a oem assy. line application? And if a person is modding the car beyond that point, the extra flow of that 1/4" is only going to be a benefit to the performance of the engine, especially when pulling through the rpm range.

R

Last edited:

will2115

Established Member
You'll be happy with either one trust me. I was on the same boat, I had a 2014 GT/CS, went through 2 MT82. I started looking for a GT500 test drove around 4. The 2011 felt way lighter than the other ones 2007-10. And I really thought it was a better car all around yet I ended up getting a 2007 with just 10k miles. I've had it for a little over a month and I love every minute behind the wheel of this beauty.
Go test drive a few of them.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Here are the major differences (some have already been stated) of a 2010 to 2011/12:
Aluminum Engine
Wideband O2 sensors
New PCM generation
Electric Power steering
2.75" exhaust
New FPDM's
Different EVAP system (but that's only in the engine bay - the rest is pretty much the same)
Lighted Vanity mirrors
Insulation (Padding at the firewall, shock towers, rear wheel wells, floor pans etc)
Rear suspension (LCA, different gas tank to accommodate)
Slightly Larger Heat Exchanger
A cross-member brace between radiator support and K-Member for additional stiffness

I think that's about it....

LEXiiON

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
There's nothing wrong with that shifter, you just need to take a driving class :dw:

lol. On another note, have received the longer shafts for the MGW. I've got one for the 10-12 Knob, and one for the 07-09. I'm gonna try both as I still am not getting the shifting into 2nd the way I'd like.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
There's nothing wrong with that shifter, you just need to take a driving class :dw:

Yes, Ford's reply would be the same, learn how to drive! "Don't rev the engine high and don't shift quickly if you are revving it high............learn how to drive!!" :-D

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
lol. On another note, have received the longer shafts for the MGW. I've got one for the 10-12 Knob, and one for the 07-09. I'm gonna try both as I still am not getting the shifting into 2nd the way I'd like.

^^^^This is the MGW2? What are you experiencing 1st to 2nd?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
^^^^This is the MGW2? What are you experiencing 1st to 2nd?

Still missing 2nd a lot. Never miss 3rd, never miss 4th. I'm lucky if I'm 25% getting it into 2nd under power. Once I miss I can get it in, unlike the factory shifter. I have a car club meeting tonight, then a Jambalaya cookoff on Thursday night. I'll tackle the install(simple) on Friday and take pictures of the different lengths. I'm looking to purchase a stock 07-09 knob to try that also with the 07-09 shaft I purchased.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Still missing 2nd a lot. Never miss 3rd, never miss 4th. I'm lucky if I'm 25% getting it into 2nd under power. Once I miss I can get it in, unlike the factory shifter. I have a car club meeting tonight, then a Jambalaya cookoff on Thursday night. I'll tackle the install(simple) on Friday and take pictures of the different lengths. I'm looking to purchase a stock 07-09 knob to try that also with the 07-09 shaft I purchased.

Have you contacted George at MGW? I have not heard anyone complain of shifting issues with the MGW2.

R

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Have you contacted George at MGW? I have not heard anyone complain of shifting issues with the MGW2.

R

I'm gonna try the longer shaft 1st, then if it continues to be an issue I may contact George. It's possible my trans has issues from when it was replaced to the point I was able to get the MGW2, although I rarely drive it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm gonna try the longer shaft 1st, then if it continues to be an issue I may contact George. It's possible my trans has issues from when it was replaced to the point I was able to get the MGW2, although I rarely drive it.

I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

R

hotford

Established Member

try the MGW2 shifter will take care of 80% still from time to time it locks out....the WOT box will fix all of it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread