2010 Audi R8 Hologram Removal - Mirror Detailing -

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Good customer of mine just picked up his new to him 2010 R8 Thursday and first thing he did was bring it too me Friday morning to see what I think it needed. He was not looking to spend much, but wanted it cleaned up and looking good for when he met up with some friends this weekend. I could tell, faintly, that the car had some light holograms and would need to a light polish at minimum, even though it really needed a full paint correction. We agreed for a more in depth General Full Detail to get the holograms out and as much of the lighter scratches at the same time. Unfortunately for him I am pretty much booked up the next three weeks. Well yesterday afternoon my Saturday job had to reschedule, so I was able to fit the R8 in this morning. Call the owner and he said he would be here early and that it would be perfect.

Anyways, got too the shop this morning and started on it. I knew it had some light holograms and when I started to wash it, noticed the water was beading pretty hard and figured I was about to wash some fillers out of the paint and really see the condition of it.

So for the befores, car still looks good from what the dealership did...

FrontHalfBefore.jpg

DriverSideBefore.jpg

RearHalfBefore.jpg

RearBefore-1.jpg

After washing it and getting all the fillers off the paint, here was what the paint looked like ever under the over head shop lights...

HoodHolograms.jpg

RoofHolograms.jpg

Under LED and my camera flash...

CameraFlashHolograms.jpg

LEDHolograms.jpg

ScratchesandHolograms.jpg

For a cool thing, here is the wheels with the cleaning agent on them. Turns red as it reacts with iron.

After one minute on the rims...

Sonax1Minute.jpg

After five minutes...

Sonax5Minutes.jpg

Now after washing, claying, polishing, waxing and sealing the paint. Then the other small misc matters and having it finished. A few inside shots before it goes outside.

PassFrontInsideAfter.jpg

DriverFrontInsideAfter.jpg

InsideSideAfter.jpg

Now outside...

DriverFrontAfter-4.jpg

DriverFrontAfterLow-4.jpg

HoodReflectionAfter-2.jpg

DriverRearAfter-4.jpg

RoofReflectionAfter.jpg

RimsAfter.jpg

PassRearAfter-4.jpg

PassFrontLowAfter.jpg

PassFrontAfter-5.jpg

HoodAfter-1.jpg

FrontEndAfter.jpg

Owner driving away with it...

DannyDrivingAway.jpg

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
The reason I post this, was for certain people who say that certain things such as waxing can remove scratches. Even at a dealership level of Lamborghini of Dallas, they even have inexperienced detailers. The products they use are Autozone/Body Shop grade.

So for those who like to use anything with the word Glaze in it, or lower end products that fill, this shows what you can hide. Since I have correct products, I am able to cut out the fillers in one wash to bring the true condition of the paint out.

This car could have used a full correction, but owner just wanted it cleaned up too drive around with. He will get a correction done in the future.

Last edited:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Nice work. I am trying to find a detailer in NJ that does work of this quality.

Any tips on how to find one?

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Nice work. I am trying to find a detailer in NJ that does work of this quality.

Any tips on how to find one?

I can actually think of two in NJ. Think one is north and one is south New Jersey. Each are very skilled detailers.

Dave Saunders - North NJ
http://www.streetdreamsdetail.com/index.html

&

Greg Gellas - South NJ
http://www.signaturedetailing.com/index.php

Tell them Mike with Mirror Detailing sent you. You cannot go wrong with either one, even though Dave is the more skilled one and has a resume that even I am jealous of. :lol1:

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Thanks buddy. I'm up north so I will be giving Dave a call.

I really appreciate the link and I'll tell him you sent me.

Mike

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
After some research, I'm going with Greg. He is actually closer to me and I'm not sure I want to roll up with a Mustang in Norwood. That area is were the money grows on trees.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to tell him you sent me.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Those dealerships should really just stick to what they do best, ripping people off in the parts department. They can't even do a hand wash on a semi exotic right.

Your work looks top notch & I wish you live near me... ;-)

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
After some research, I'm going with Greg. He is actually closer to me and I'm not sure I want to roll up with a Mustang in Norwood. That area is were the money grows on trees.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to tell him you sent me.

Like I said...Dave has a resume that even I am jealous of. lol I dont think I have ever seen him work on anything less than supercar/exotic.

Those dealerships should really just stick to what they do best, ripping people off in the parts department. They can't even do a hand wash on a semi exotic right.

Your work looks top notch & I wish you live near me... ;-)

Yeah, I was not surprised when I saw the condition of it. Same quality as the detailers at the Ferrari dealership near me.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Like I said...Dave has a resume that even I am jealous of. lol I dont think I have ever seen him work on anything less than supercar/exotic.

Chris Rock, Russel Simmons, P-Diddy, etc all have houses there. And every Wall St big shot that doesn't live in Conn.

flamedstang95

Gettin' Dirty
Established Member
Transaxle what are you using to properly get all of the fillers and junk out of the paint? I wish you were closer as well...I'm bound and determined to get this car right on my own. Thanks

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I think its great that these high quality detailers detail these high end cars, but do they ever detail something thats a challenge? I looked at there gallery and 99% of the cars are cars people dont but huge abuse because they are most likely weekend warriors. It would be awesome to see a cars that have oxidation, swirl city, scratches or chips to do complete 180 and look almost close to showroom.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Transaxle what are you using to properly get all of the fillers and junk out of the paint? I wish you were closer as well...I'm bound and determined to get this car right on my own. Thanks

A product called Eraser. I presoaked the paint with that, too help break down the fillers, then washed with a Citrous based wash that helps further break them down.

I think its great that these high quality detailers detail these high end cars, but do they ever detail something thats a challenge? I looked at there gallery and 99% of the cars are cars people dont but huge abuse because they are most likely weekend warriors. It would be awesome to see a cars that have oxidation, swirl city, scratches or chips to do complete 180 and look almost close to showroom.

I agree. I generally never post something on here unless its Ford related or just something I thought was cool. If you read my reply too this thread, you will see that I posted this in regards to comments made in another thread about using fillers. Which I was using too show what fillers hide.

Now if you want to see a challenge here are some threads of mine that are on another forum that might be up your alley.

1989 560SL Badly Oxidized.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/139205-89-560sl-oxidation-correction-mirror-detailing.html

1979 450SEL - Body Shop Hacked This Paint Up

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/139901-71-450sel-body-shop-hack-up.html

thepizz. Come on now. I told you Id take care of your car in the spring and give you better then this car. hahahahahah

You do understand that I said this was only a 1-Step polish? Customer understood it needed full correction and it was pointed out very well too him. But all he wanted to do was get the holograms removed, the paint glossed up and have it protected and looking good when he went to hang out with his friends too show off his new car.

I am a service business and I give the customers what they pay for. I would have loved to charge him $500-600 and had the car for a day and a half...but that did not happen.

Last edited:

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
A product called Eraser. I presoaked the paint with that, too help break down the fillers, then washed with a Citrous based wash that helps further break them down.

Are you talking about the same eraser that is used for weed killer?

LOL God no. Its a product by Carpro called Eraser. Its a type of surface cleaner that helps prep the surface for applications such as CQuartz and Opti-Coat.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member

I agree. I generally never post something on here unless its Ford related or just something I thought was cool. If you read my reply too this thread, you will see that I posted this in regards to comments made in another thread about using fillers. Which I was using too show what fillers hide.

Now if you want to see a challenge here are some threads of mine that are on another forum that might be up your alley.

1989 560SL Badly Oxidized.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/139205-89-560sl-oxidation-correction-mirror-detailing.html

1979 450SEL - Body Shop Hacked This Paint Up

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/139901-71-450sel-body-shop-hack-up.html

You do understand that I said this was only a 1-Step polish? Customer understood it needed full correction and it was pointed out very well too him. But all he wanted to do was get the holograms removed, the paint glossed up and have it protected and looking good when he went to hang out with his friends too show off his new car.

I am a service business and I give the customers what they pay for. I would have loved to charge him $500-600 and had the car for a day and a half...but that did not happen.

Thank you for the threads you posted. The blue one benz looked insane, you know what's funny it reminded me of my 96' GT in certain areas. The paint came out great but you can still see like the surface of paint kind of deformed. Almost like acid rain stains or something on the paint. I know its very hard as a detailer to get rid of those. Other than that! The red one came out as a flawless victory! Good job! you do excellent work!:rockon::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread