2010 GT500 3:55s vs 4:10s

sask10

Established Member
I have been contemplating a 3:55 to 4:10 swap for awhile but am looking for opinions. I did a search and many seem to think its too much for 1st gear traction on a street car and not advisable for the track without going to a taller tire (car will never see track duty). I plan to use a 325/30/19 Toyo R888 (26.7" high vs 26.9 stock) and I am not really concerned about 1st gear traction as most "differences in opinion" on the street do not occur from a dig in my experience. My car is also not a DD so day to day driveability is not a concern either and I've always felt the car was geared a little tall for cruising within the constraints of the speed limit too. Will a 4:10 swap give me a noticeable change in acceleration through 2-6th or will the difference be negligible and be best to stay with the 3.55s. I suspect I am in the 650rwhp range, mods are in sig.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive got 3.73's from the factory with stock Spinyears. Unless my goodyears are HOT, I can still get the rears to spin at the top of a hard acceleration in 2nd. 4.10's would be a fantastic option if you were running at the strip with full on drag radials.

For the street id stick with 3.73s

Last edited:

lkempf

Established Member
I personally don't think it would be a good idea. These cars don't need anymore low end torque. You are just going to make your traction issues worse. Plus it would be hard on your supercharger. Just my opinion.

nxhappy

Established Member
do not fear the gear ! You will piss your pants with 410s:-D

sono

Established Member
I would check out the gear charts and buy according to your driving habits. 1st is a lost cause no matter what, so no traction is no traction. However when your doing 60-65 and you need to resolve an issue with 3:55s it is scary as hell to consider second gear and 3rd gear seems to be a bit to low in the power band.
So I would shoot for a gear that puts you at the 4k rpm range when doing 60-65. If that's your goal.

As much as I hate adding to traction problems it seems like you get screwed both ways with 3:55's. Mine is a DD as well so I know exactly what your experiencing.

Last edited:

devilish64

Established Member
i have 4.10's and you really need a 29" tall tire to even make it an option.... otherwise its just to much.... wich honestly is very fun to drive at least for me.... but would be a hanful on that toyo. I have been driving around (weekends only) on 29" hoosier slicks recently and they will still spin in second a bit(~750rwhp). 4.10's and street tires just will not work in theese cars with a 26-27" tall tire and 650+rwhp in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread