2010 GT500 first impressions

MD03SVT

Established Member
Picked up my red with black stripes 2010 GT500 with nav yesterday and after 500 miles here are my 1st impressions..I also have a 2007 GT500 coupe and have had a 2007 GT500 vert.

Amazing!!! who would have thought that there could be so many improvements over the 07-09's.

Looks simply more agressive

Interior although the seats are the same except for the suede inserts which are real nice and seem to hold you better in the seat during hard cornering the rest of the fit and finish is above the previous models.The shifter is short and percise althought I have never missed a shift in my 07 this one is just more fun to row through the gears with and I look forward to my 1st trip to the drag strip.

Handling so much tighter it corners real flat and the front end doesn't have that light feeling of the previous models.I have no idea what the active suspension does but it works.

Exhaust has a real nice tone for a stock one and the 4'' tips fill out the valance real good to bad they aren't rolled or I might keep them.

Power the 40 extra poney's along with the 3.55 gears really make it feel quicker (remember my TVS 07 ran 10.11 @ 137mph in the heat so far with 9's around the corner with cooler temps on the way) but stock for stock the 2010 feels much more responsive and there is no more driveline clunk. and the clutch feels great (I still have the stock one in my 07)

Overall I am really glad I took the plunge as I was gonna wait for the 2011 for the aluminum block but this car is an amazing driver with agressive looks .

Overall this car is much better than the 07-09's

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ted:

Sounds like you're addicted to GT500's!??!? ;-):poke:

I know the 2010 is quite an improvement over the previous models. I can't wait for a lighter block! Maybe I'll join you as a multiple GT500 owner!?!

Thanks for the review!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

R1Lello

Established Member
Hey Ted,

Came looking for you twice at the DaSilva Day Aug 15/16 at your trailer......both times you were away.......no big deal, did see a couple runs of your blue/tungsten coupe running 10.30's @ 133-134........nice and great for us TVS guys.

Take care til next time:beer:

MD03SVT

Established Member
How much did you pay?

US Sticker which is 11000$ less than canadian sticker so with the exchange rate flight and expenses I saved just over 6000$ and enjoyed the ride home from connecticut to montreal.I had found many others at sticker and even a couple under sticker but they wern't the colors I wanted or just to far to go get.

03reptile

Established Member
MDO3SVT,

Are you experiencing the 2007 thru 2009 first gear launch shudder/chatter from the new 2010 re-designed clutch? Sounds like the car is a signifigant improvement over the older ones. I'm on the fence about buying a 2010 and an improved launch mode may push me over. I'm sick of having to baby the clutch on my 07 in order to obtain a smooth take-up and launch. And yes, I had the TSB done; still shudders on occasion.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Ted, good luck with your new toy! Do you have any plans on modding it to keep up with the '07?? Hope to see you again some time in the states at the track..........Barry

chuckstang

Established Member
Interesting, makes me want to sell and buy the 2011 that much more when it arrives

love the styling of my car and the rawness but like you am tired of the driveline clunks and clutch!

MD03SVT

Established Member
MDO3SVT,

Are you experiencing the 2007 thru 2009 first gear launch shudder/chatter from the new 2010 re-designed clutch? Sounds like the car is a signifigant improvement over the older ones. I'm on the fence about buying a 2010 and an improved launch mode may push me over. I'm sick of having to baby the clutch on my 07 in order to obtain a smooth take-up and launch. And yes, I had the TSB done; still shudders on occasion.

No chatter what so ever great pedal feel a hugh improvement over the 07-08.

Ted, good luck with your new toy! Do you have any plans on modding it to keep up with the '07?? Hope to see you again some time in the states at the track..........Barry

Hey Barry good to hear from you,we hope to get to e-town in the fall and if we do I will let you know.As for modding the 2010 like my 07 I am telling anyone that will listen that I will NOT go that far but for some reason nobody seems to beleive me.:lol:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
No chatter what so ever great pedal feel a hugh improvement over the 07-08.

So I wonder what it would take to put a 2010 clutch assy. in a 07,08,09? The flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and t.o.b.? I have heard that the clutch assy. is larger diameter for 2010, I wonder if the flywheel would be a direct bolt-in for the earlier models and match the starter?

R

que4dog

Established Member
So I wonder what it would take to put a 2010 clutch assy. in a 07,08,09? The flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and t.o.b.? I have heard that the clutch assy. is larger diameter for 2010, I wonder if the flywheel would be a direct bolt-in for the earlier models and match the starter?

R

You would definitely want to wait before putting the 2010 clutch in the 07-09 because it seems like the 07-09 holds more power.

03reptile

Established Member
A Ford Technician posted on a TS site that he had installed the whole 2010 clutch system in a customer's 07 and it was a success and no take off shudder. Customer paid out of pocket for the switch, so I think, yes is the answer to retro-fitting a 2010 system in our 07 thru 09's .

War Eagle

Established Member
MDO3SVT,

I had a 2009 with a 09/08 build date and the new clutch. It still shuddered/chattered at start off in normal driving and was not very easy or smooth to drive.

My 2010 is smooth as silk and the pedal pressure is light. The clutch is a vast improvement over my 2009.

Steve

GarageLogic

Established Member
Not to my knowledge. It's still a twin disc setup but slightly larger. From a daily driving standpoint, it is a HI\UGE improvement over the '07-'09 setup. I'll let you know how much power it hold and how well in a couple of months.

Last edited:

gassman

Established Member
Ted:

Sounds like you're addicted to GT500's!??!? ;-):poke:

I know the 2010 is quite an improvement over the previous models. I can't wait for a lighter block! Maybe I'll join you as a multiple GT500 owner!?!

Thanks for the review!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Aluminum block in 2011...well that's what they say. i will wait and see how far they improve the car before i dish out 50+ Gs. Still lovin the 08 vert. The 2010 must be nice:beer:

500DRAGPAC

Established Member
hope to meet you in the fall at E-TOWN and watch you run.I'm now running a 09 GT that I could not pass on for what I paid and I'm still having fun 12.70's@108 w/1.72 60' on DR's but it's not my 500.oh well,hope to see you there,Henry

Users who are viewing this thread