2010+ Taurus SHO with 100k+ miles reliability? Any regrets from having one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

Banned
if only they came with a 6 speed manual, I would be all over one. Ford dropped the ball on that aspect.

I have driven several when I was working as a temp as National/Alamo while waiting on a trainer to become available for my truck driving job. I loved their acceleration and power. Handling felt good to me, and braking was laxadasical but thats easily upgraded with a few bones.

I cant imagine the fun this car would be with a 6 spd manual and some bigger turbos on that EB engine.

but ill never own one since no manual available.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
if only they came with a 6 speed manual, I would be all over one. Ford dropped the ball on that aspect.

I have driven several when I was working as a temp as National/Alamo while waiting on a trainer to become available for my truck driving job. I loved their acceleration and power. Handling felt good to me, and braking was laxadasical but thats easily upgraded with a few bones.

I cant imagine the fun this car would be with a 6 spd manual and some bigger turbos on that EB engine.

but ill never own one since no manual available.

Last thing I want in a big heavy sedan daily/cruiser is a manual trans, and is actually the exact reason I haven't bought an E39 M5 yet, only comes in manual.

Now Focus RS is a different story and I look forward to them!

2000gt4.6

Established Member
Imo, especially after the LMS tune, the transmission is spectacular. In sport it always seems to find the right gear for percent throttle. After the tune the shifts are stupid fast, way better than you could hope to duplicate with a stick.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
As mentioned the 13+ have much better brakes including master cylinder.

I prefer the Sync (blue/white) vs the Myfordtouch (black) infotainment. The older system allows only 3 screens at at time, but one is actually navigation, not just a compass.

Having owned both a 2011 SHO and currently a 13 Xsport, the vehicles seem bullet proof. The 2011 was a nonpp(mistake) that when traded had 81K miles and only one dealer repair(pass side a/c actuator). Was run at the track a lot. When I say a lot I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 200 passes. Never, ever let me down and ran a best of 12.9, but pretty consistent 13.1's with a tune, CAI, and downpipes. Truly an underrated vehicle. The Xsport currently has 60K miles and it's had two repairs. A bad sway bar endlink at about 13K miles, and at 52K also a bad pass side a/c actuator....obviously a common issue. Both have been/were tuned from almost the very beginning. The Xsport has only been to the track a couple of times, wife's work DD. But it has run a best of 13.4 and will seat 6(captain chairs).

My local dealer has the exact SHO I want. 15MY, tuxedo black, PP, Nav, multicontour seats. I may trade the GT500.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I bought it, we'll see what turns up with 106k on the ticker already. So far, so good!

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
I've owned a 2011 SHO for about three years now. its been a fantastic car, only one issues the fan control module that left the car stuck in a parking lot with no fans obviously. Ford roadside towed it, it was fixed the next day. other than that 25k trouble free miles, two trips to socal. just a great car.

It will be sold soon though for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as we need an SUV, and when comparing the SRT to the XS the jeeps badass factor wins.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I've owned a 2011 SHO for about three years now. its been a fantastic car, only one issues the fan control module that left the car stuck in a parking lot with no fans obviously. Ford roadside towed it, it was fixed the next day. other than that 25k trouble free miles, two trips to socal. just a great car.

It will be sold soon though for a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as we need an SUV, and when comparing the SRT to the XS the jeeps badass factor wins.

The only reason to ever buy the Xsport over the SRTJGC, is if you need the third row. It's like comparing a Z06 to a mustang GT.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The only reason to ever buy the Xsport over the SRTJGC, is if you need the third row. It's like comparing a Z06 to a mustang GT.

Given the choice, I'd purchase the Explorer. Believe it or not I find the sport (or whatever it is termed) looks better and I am a fan of turbo'd engines.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Given the choice, I'd purchase the Explorer. Believe it or not I find the sport (or whatever it is termed) looks better and I am a fan of turbo'd engines.

I plan on getting a '16 XSport next year when the first are being traded in. They look great.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Yessir thats the one. I drove the 2014 they had as well, and while the newer ones are no doubt nicer, this one is fully loaded and alot less cash. Time will tell if the money saved was worth the extra mileage. I traded in a 68k mile Focus that was the epitome of reliable, so hopefully i'm good for a while!

We bought my wife's '10 Milan from there and they treated us well. I actually looked at that SHO a few weeks back, but got spoiled when I drove a '13 SHO. They have an Edge that's nicely priced that I'm going to talk to the wife tonight about it. Otherwise, I hope to find something around Springtime (SHO) because I have a 50 mile daily commute and my Explorer has 207,000 miles on it (still gets 18mpg). I'll bump you later down the line to get your thoughts on how you like it. Congrats!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
We bought my wife's '10 Milan from there and they treated us well. I actually looked at that SHO a few weeks back, but got spoiled when I drove a '13 SHO. They have an Edge that's nicely priced that I'm going to talk to the wife tonight about it. Otherwise, I hope to find something around Springtime (SHO) because I have a 50 mile daily commute and my Explorer has 207,000 miles on it (still gets 18mpg). I'll bump you later down the line to get your thoughts on how you like it. Congrats!

Yea I drove the 2014 they had and they are definitely nicer! But the 10 had more options. I think Ideally I would have found a loaded low-ish mileage 2013 as a good middle ground. Also, Kona Blue, mmmmm

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

The Xsport is "cheap" once you get past the front seats IMHO. It also lacks the brakes, handling, and pure performance of the jeep. But is larger and gets probably twice the fuel economy. Ours is sitting a little over 20mpg. At this point she rarely uses the 3rd row, so at 100K we'll trade it on something smaller, probably the Lincoln version of the Escape or a CPO GLE(MB) coupe in a few years.

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
The Xsport is "cheap" once you get past the front seats IMHO. It also lacks the brakes, handling, and pure performance of the jeep. But is larger and gets probably twice the fuel economy. Ours is sitting a little over 20mpg. At this point she rarely uses the 3rd row, so at 100K we'll trade it on something smaller, probably the Lincoln version of the Escape or a CPO GLE(MB) coupe in a few years.

The MKC is pretty slick, but the back seats are a little tight. If I were you looking to downgrade in size in a few years, I'd check out the 2016 MKX with the 2.7TT (fancy Edge Sport).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread