2011 5.0 vs 03 Termi

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
These new 5.0 motors are pretty amazing considering the last generation of naturally aspirated modulars and how big of a leap the coyote is.

I have owned my cobra and daily driven it since it was new. It is still a great car, and is very dependable and quick considering it only has the most basic of bolt ons.

On the other hand I find myself on ebay and sites like it looking at the prices of used 5.0's quite often these days. The ergonomics of the cobra are starting to get on my nerves every once and a while. They never did before, but I am just getting to a point where comfort is as important to me as performance.

This video and others that I have seen where basically stock 5.0's with tunes are as quick as my cobra with a pulley and a tune make the decision a lot easier. I know that seat of the pants the 5.0 probably wont have that same abrupt hit of torque that the cobra has got, but that can be solved with a bottle.

You wouldn't regret it, M...

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member
The 5.0 won because it has a mechanical advantage. The MT82 is more steeply geared then the T56 in the Cobra. To be fair next time have the Termi start in second while the 5.0 is in 3rd, then post the outcome.

musclefan21

Established Member
anything under 60mph in 3rd gear for a cobra is not going to put you in the powerband to pull. the way the 5.0 jumped and walked clearly showed me that they were under 60mph (most likely a 45mph roll is what they did) and cobra left it in 3rd and hurt himself big time.

45-50mph is a second gear roll for terminators. You get that instant power.

Tell your buddy to run the car this way

25-30mph = 1st

40 to 50mph = 2nd

60~mph = 3rd

2K1 SVT

Established Member
This video and others that I have seen where basically stock 5.0's with tunes are as quick as my cobra with a pulley and a tune make the decision a lot easier. I know that seat of the pants the 5.0 probably wont have that same abrupt hit of torque that the cobra has got, but that can be solved with a bottle.

:lol1: Wow a tune only 5.0 can take on a pullied cobra? That means that full bolt ons and tuned they should be running with twin screw cobras right :bash:

The 5.0 won because it has a mechanical advantage. The MT82 is more steeply geared then the T56 in the Cobra. To be fair next time have the Termi start in second while the 5.0 is in 3rd, then post the outcome.

+1 You can't take two completely different cars and say it's fair to start in 3rd when one has a steeper gear ratio.

musclefan21

Established Member
:lol1: Wow a tune only 5.0 can take on a pullied cobra? That means that full bolt ons and tuned they should be running with twin screw cobras right :bash:

+1 You can't take two completely different cars and say it's fair to start in 3rd when one has a steeper gear ratio.

+2

you select a speed, select the gear your car likes and take off on the 3rd hook.

oh yeah, intake tune and picks on pullied cobras? :lol:

Jroc

Established Member
This is what I was trying to say last time guys. As awesome as a Terminator is the new 5.0 Mustangs are just really good, and fully deserve to be respected by the Terminator crowd as tough competition regardless of whether they're just a GT or not. The new 5.0 Mustangs are faster cars than stock LS1 Fbodies for example, but people like to claim that the LS1's are closer to Terminators than people want to act like. I remember back when the 2011 GT's first came out and mods just starts being developed for them MM&FF did a full exhaust(headers back and I think it was either a Kooks, or ARH system) on one and I believe a CAI, and a tune, and that car put down like 430 whp, and this is well B/F the Boss manifold was available.

I test drove a new GT and it just amazed me how good it was. For Ford to develop a Mustang weighing roughly 3,600 lbs that can run as strong as it does, and do it with a N/A 5 liter motor that's extremely smooth, and has to pass the factory reliablity tests is extremely impressive especially when you consider that it will happily run on 87 octane. It's extremely impressive. And while not as strong as Ford SC'ed offering down low the new 5.0's are not weak motors in their lower RPM ranges. They've got enough lowend grunt to get them motivated.

Here's a stock Boss 302 with nothing more than a rear wheel change with slicks running a 11.7. It shows how good the new 5.0 Mustangs are.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLmXeUflf4I"]2012 Boss 302 - First Boss in the 11's - YouTube[/nomedia]

Good kill OP, but I do agree that the Cobra wasn't really being driven to it's real potential, but I still feel sure that you would of won even if it was.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
the 5.0 doesnt look strong and the cobra looked slower.
Why would a stock cobra put 3.73s? Im sure its a stock cobra with the stock tune.
I've raced a 5.0 with mods and it was like racing a honda but then again twin screws are hard to fair against.

Not to be a dick, but with only 7psi from a little P1sc procharger im making around the same hp numbers as you are. 5.0 Guys with just a supercharger and slicks/skinnies are running 10's on 7-9 psi of boost. The 5.0 won, big deal. They're just as fast as stock terminators are, even faster. Obviously you would beat the 5.0 you raced by bus lengths. He probably had the basic bolt ons and you have a twin screw.

Come on dude, just give respect where it needs to be given. My next car will be an oxford white 04' cobra too so it's not like i only love 5.0's.

Black Fire

Wings Fan
Established Member

Absolutely, this is one of the rules of street racing
"know your car to maximize your advantage"

BITD My old LS1 M6 Formula could be dropped to 1st as low as 30mph and made for a hell of a punch.

Remember any car can be beat, because it's not the cars fault that the driver sucks. This also goes along with my old saying of " in a drag race the more powerfull car is NOT always the winner" experience has its merits.:coolman:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Agreed. The 5.0 may still and probably would win, but it wouldn't be a slaughter.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
The 5.0's are really strong but they are getting to be really over rated. I bought the last issue of 5.0 Mustang and super fords and in it it had a new 5.0 with boss intake, ford racing throttle body, JLT intake, full exhaust and tune and it put down 395whp and 355wtq. Now if you compare that to a Terminator with the same mods the Terminator will put down more power and a lot more torque.

I think that the big difference between the Terminator and 5.0 is that the 5.0 is much easier to drive so people just automatically think that its faster.

jas11151990

Established Member
The 5.0's are really strong but they are getting to be really over rated. I bought the last issue of 5.0 Mustang and super fords and in it it had a new 5.0 with boss intake, ford racing throttle body, JLT intake, full exhaust and tune and it put down 395whp and 355wtq. Now if you compare that to a Terminator with the same mods the Terminator will put down more power and a lot more torque.

I think that the big difference between the Terminator and 5.0 is that the 5.0 is much easier to drive so people just automatically think that its faster.

hahah over rated???? So mine with intake tune and cai putting down 422whp and 401 trq is "over rated". Guess you believe everything each magazine puts out.

2K1 SVT

Established Member
hahah over rated???? So mine with intake tune and cai putting down 422whp and 401 trq is "over rated". Guess you believe everything each magazine puts out.

Each dyno is different. Did you not read what that guy said before though? Tune only 5.0>Pullied Terminator + supporting mods, if that's not over rated then I don't know what is.

jas11151990

Established Member
Each dyno is different. Did you not read what that guy said before though? Tune only 5.0>Pullied Terminator + supporting mods, if that's not over rated then I don't know what is.

Trust me I know a pulley and supporting mod cobra would run with and pull my car, I do not knock Cobras,, I love them but my car was dynod multiple times and came with the same numbers. You are not giving the new 5.0 the credit it deserves :nonono:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
Trust me I know a pulley and supporting mod cobra would run with and pull my car, I do not knock Cobras,, I love them but my car was dynod multiple times and came with the same numbers. You are not giving the new 5.0 the credit it deserves :nonono:

Here I quoted myself so you could see what you obviously missed
The 5.0's are really strong

The 5.0's are great cars but it's not like they are the end all be all, I'm not going to worship them like some do :shrug:

jas11151990

Established Member
Here I quoted myself so you could see what you obviously missed

The 5.0's are great cars but it's not like they are the end all be all, I'm not going to worship them like some do :shrug:

and the Cobra is?........

just what some here are trying to imply

Last edited:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
and the Cobra is?........

just what some here are trying to imply

The Terminator is proven to be one of the best bang for your buck cars.

I have an 01 and ran a 5.0 at the track that was barely beating me, he had a catback and I had an x-pipe and catback. He ran a 13.2 to my 13.5 (Slow track) and I just wasn't that impressed :shrug:.

jas11151990

Established Member
The Terminator is proven to be one of the best bang for your buck cars.

I have an 01 and ran a 5.0 at the track that was barely beating me, he had a catback and I had an x-pipe and catback. He ran a 13.2 to my 13.5 (Slow track) and I just wasn't that impressed :shrug:.

well he sucks at driving, a good driver with a 5.0 especially modded should do lower 12s all day

Users who are viewing this thread