2011 6 speed won't go into 5th at high rpms

harvey8907

Established Member
I have a 2011 5.0 it has a boss intake high flow cats flow master cat back and a jlt cai. Car runs and shifts great during normal driving conditions however during hard pulls 1st through 4th shifts great but going into 5th is a no go it never goes in. Hold the clutch in for about 5 to 10 seconds and it will finally drop in doesn't rake or anything just acts like it is locked out any ideas what the cause is? Car does have a short shifter don't know on the brand because it was in the car when we bought it.

Tyler72

Established Member
My boss is the same way... 1-4 is no problem unless the clutch sticks to the floor (which does happen time to time) but 5th is difficult to get into at high rpm. Not sure why... I have an MGW and whiteline trans mount insert and it still happens. Next mod may be a clutch...

djdonte

Established Member
I was getting locked out of nearly all gears at high RPMs. The dealership replaced my pressure plate and clutch disc and that solved the problem. Apparently the stock pressure plate is weak on these cars, and the spinning inertia of the clutch/pressure plate is too great for the pressure plate to fully disengage the clutch. Also try a K member brace or the MGW race spec.

noszx10r327

Established Member
After the dealer warrantied my trans, I cured all my mt82 issues with mobil 1, xl-18 friction modifier, mgw and a blowfish bracket. Goes into 5th under pulls alot better, but im still cautious about warming trans up well an not trying to bang 5th like i do 2nd or 4th..(per George advice from MGW)

harvey8907

Established Member
That's interesting I would've thought if it was a clutch problem it do in in all gears not just one but I'm glad it's not a internal problem we will try a clutch and see what happens. Anyone have any recommendations on a clutch that will have about the same pedal pressure?

scott_0

Established Member
After the dealer warrantied my trans, I cured all my mt82 issues with mobil 1, xl-18 friction modifier, mgw and a blowfish bracket. Goes into 5th under pulls alot better, but im still cautious about warming trans up well an not trying to bang 5th like i do 2nd or 4th..(per George advice from MGW)
mobil 1??

SCalla1384

Established Member
The 5th gear synchros are small, they are the size of an overdrive (6th gear) synchro. It's not ment to be shifted fast at that rpm, it won't last. If you're going into 5th that much at high rpm, put some higher gear in the car.

It's most likely the clutch, or the clutch line. But regardless, it won't last long if you're shifting into it a lot

Baysixx

Established Member
I had that same issue. Short throw, steel braided line, and a bracket helped. But nothing fixed it til I swapped in a new clutch. Now it shifts smoothly no matter the rpm.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Yup 5th gear synchro will go out quick if you keep doing that especially if you have a short shifter that has too much throw reduction like the Barton.

But all lockout issues can be tied into clutch as you've already pointed out.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yup 5th gear synchro will go out quick if you keep doing that especially if you have a short shifter that has too much throw reduction like the Barton.

But all lockout issues can be tied into clutch as you've already pointed out.

Not being a smart ass, why do you think that?

I would think something with more leverage would hurt it. I figured a short throw, the shorter it is, the quicker you'll feel it engage. I'm not really sure though?

My favorite shifter setup was a barton 2 post with Barton short throw and the 1.5" extender. Gave me more leverage, I could shift it so quick. I ended up selling to try the mgw, didn't like it. Now I'm stock shifter with Barton 2 post. I may try the mgw race spec, or go back to the Barton shifter with extender

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Not being a smart ass, why do you think that?

I would think something with more leverage would hurt it. I figured a short throw, the shorter it is, the quicker you'll feel it engage. I'm not really sure though?

My favorite shifter setup was a barton 2 post with Barton short throw and the 1.5" extender. Gave me more leverage, I could shift it so quick. I ended up selling to try the mgw, didn't like it. Now I'm stock shifter with Barton 2 post. I may try the mgw race spec, or go back to the Barton shifter with extender

That's the same setup I ran and after 10k miles, my 2nd and 5th synchros were done for. George at MGW describes it as "outrunning the synchros" or just shifting faster than the synchro can line up the next gear. I liked my Barton setup too but apparently it can damage the synchros over time with too much quick/power shifting and too short of a throw.

SCalla1384

Established Member
That's the same setup I ran and after 10k miles, my 2nd and 5th synchros were done for. George at MGW describes it as "outrunning the synchros" or just shifting faster than the synchro can line up the next gear. I liked my Barton setup too but apparently it can damage the synchros over time with too much quick/power shifting and too short of a throw.

Interesting. Lol, believe it or not... never broke anything with a barton or stock shifter. I put an mgw on, that same day I missed 3rd I was pushing to the right alittle, grinded 5th, synchro was blown. A week later, shifted into 4th fast (not a powershift) 4th gear, the gear not the synchro literally exploded. Took off all the teeth. So needless to say, I sold my mgw.

Not blaming it on the shifter, just a week I break 2 gears (5th was def my fault) felt like that thing came with some bad voodoo haha.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Hmm I might've been because you were used to shifting with the super short barton? So when it came to the MGW, you let go of the clutch too early and slammed it into 4th? Not saying you're a bad driver lol just wondering how that could've happened.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Imo it was from to much clutch. RXT, to much shock to the drivetrain. If that were the case, I would think the synchro would be destroyed. I opened the trans up, synchro looks fine. No signs of wear lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Shifting issues are almost always clutch related.

I always found it interesting how much money the shifter companies make in this community.

Makes you wonder how and why Honda or Vw transmissions shift so damn beautifully and without issue. Now wrap your mind around the fact that most of them are CABLE operated. Talk about flimsy and non direct. There is nothing more non direct than a remote shifted, cable operated trans.

Get on youtube and find a good cabin view 1/4 mile run of a 10 sec 130+ mph Honda. They typically have to shift into 5th gear and almost always without any issue whatsoever.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
I'll take a mechanic direct mounted shifter over a hydraulic remote mounted shifter any day.

Ideally, hydraulic direct mounted. But I don't mind a cable.

evanjp

Established Member
Any chance any of you guys could diagnose my problem? I don't mean to hijack the thread, there is just good discussion in here.

Normal driving the clutch feels very clunky and bipolar. There are times when it will shift smoothly and times when it won't. Literally, one stoplight I will be able to shift into any gear smoothly, but the next one gear will feel funny. Sometimes all of them. I don't go through one set of gears (1st through 6th) in one take off from say a stop sign or light, without two or more feeling rough. No grinding, just not smooth and it feels bad. Rarely do all of them go in smooth, but every now and then I go a couple days where almost every time I go to shift its smooth, but there are times for a few days where all of them just feel terrible. It feels like the transmission becomes deflected somehow because when I go into 2nd gear it's smoother moving it slightly to the right sometimes and vice versa other times.

It's the most bipolar clutch/shifting ever.

Any ideas? Clutch or shifter?

Users who are viewing this thread