2011 Ecoboost F150 driving impressions

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Today I was able to experience the 2011 F150 equiped with the new 3.5L Ecoboost and 6 speed transmission. As most of you know that anyone could sign up to have Ford deliever to you residents or place a buisness for a test drive. Ford is pushing the Ecoboost really hard. With the inclusion of trucks on upcoming CAFE laws affecting companys overal fuel economy rating its easy to see why. The Ecoboost is rated to tow the same amount as the 6.2L and do so getting much better fuel economy. You will be able to option the Ecoboost in the XL(reg cab/super cab), the XLT(all), the FX2/FX4(all), Lariat(all), king ranch, and platinum. {The 6.2 will be standard in Raptor and Harley-Davidson and optional in the Lariat(super crew) and Platinum.}

What was delivered to the house today was a loaded Platinum sporting the Ecoboost. Rated to tow 11,300 lbs and payload of 3,060(mind you the F250 PS payload is 2,430)

Bad stuff:
~You cant hear the turbos while inside the inclosed cabin.
~Back seat still does not lean back quite enough for my liking. Although much improved over earlier F150s still doesn't feel as comfortable as the F250. Could have given up an few inches of leg room to get a few degrees more angle. This is all subject to personal opinion and I'm a professional of MY opinion.
~Intake system will be a popular upgrade I believe on these trucks and they are going to be expensive for all the routing and tubing required espeacially on the inlet side of the turbos. How much power will that and tuning unleash?? I'd guess I fair amount to be worth it.
~Direct-Acting Mechanical Buckets(DAMB) instead of Hydrolic lash adjusters. Although as a great acronym this is going to cost you when you need to have them adjusted. Mazda and others use them and are suppose to an audible check every 75,000 miles(on Mazda) this runs about $4-600 if needing adjusted.
~Still some wind noise when riding in back seat. I believe that has more to do with Areodynamics more then anything else.
~Tailgate assist step still isnt standard. ALRIGHT this isn't bad persay but I just get so tired of going to the local dealers and either no trucks or the high end trucks have them. FORD DEALERS ORDER YOUR TRUCKS WITH THESE>Aftermarket if you can find a way to intergerate these into the older F150s. Making them as clean and functional as Ford, you'd make some money for sure(forget what Howie long and Government motors is jelous they didn't think of)
~The information center as a ton of options and menus. One could spend an hour just going through all of it easily.
~Turn signal took some getting used to as it always returned to the home position. So I found myself hitting it repeatedly when coming up to the turn(which would cancel it in 4 clicks as its programed to do as two quick bumps of the switch is to indicate to the computer overtaking cars or changing lanes) This can be trained out of your brain though after you get used to the new set-up and dont bounce back in forth between you own families cars.

Now the Good.
~YOU CAN HEAR THE TURBOS!!!! when you are outside of the truck as its driving away. Its faint I admit but a VERY nice surprise through the stock exhaust.
~The truck as a very nice tone inside and out when driving. You really dont have the buzzy exhaust note you expect from a V6 truck. Even with the 3.73 and 4.somthing first it doesn't sound like a wound up small displacement engine. It was mellow and much deeper then I expected. STILL not a V-8 sound that everyone is used to but a person not knowing it was a V6 wouldn't drive it and instantly reconize that.
~The seating postion is much more pleasent with giving off a little more feeling of setting in the truck instead of on the truck. The lowered seat position gives off a closer car vibe. Again this is supbject to personal taste and I really like it alot. The rear as a ton of leg room and flat loading.
~Those of you with a wife/GF/Kids will appreciate that you no longer have to flip a few levers to raise the back seat to untilize the rear storage in the cab. Just lift it up. Has a simple handle to lower it back into place after finished.
~The information center as a ton of information!! Once you figure out how to get to whatever information and diagnostics you want it is easily read on the fly while driving.(meaning park the thing until you get the menu you want pulled up then drive).
~You can store up to 10 different trailor settings on board.
~Mass air meter looked suffiecent in size.
~Air to air intercooler mounted in a place where it gets plenty of airflow.
~We were told this engine differs from the SHO on just about everything. Different block casting, beefier internals, different turbos, etc.(Not saying the SHO is bad just we are asking an essentially passenger car engine to do a MUCH more brutal and strenious task)
~Turbos are accessible with removal of the fenderwell liners.
~Turbos are watercooled and even circulate water after the truck is shutoff for a period of time to prevent "coking".
~the 365hp/420trq is rated on 87 octane and 12# of boost. So Premium fuel a tune and a few other mods one could start getting into a fun all around truck.
~Electric Pwr steering was very nice and has a drift function that corrects itself as your driving down bad road or windy conditions with trailer

I'm in the market for a truck and I was convinced I was buying a 2008-2010 6.4 Power stroke until I heard about the 6.2 and Ecoboost coming to the market. and after driving the Ecoboost today I must say it would serve every purpose I would have for the truck. It is getting very very serious consideration over the PS. Based on MY personal needs, maintenace and cost. Yes I generally live my life as excess is barely enough but I think the Ecoboost with a few mods would be a great choice also.(against my nature to leave any of MY vehicles stock).

Trucks are due to go on sale Febuary 2nd. Drive one and I think it will surprise you. Bring your check books if you are in the market for a new truck no matter what brand because you will want this one afterwards. It really blows away it competitors in its segment.

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The Ecoboost engine is 1,700 option over the base V6 3.7. It's $700 more then the 5.0 V8 option. Not sure how much for the 6.2

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I second most of F8L's observations. My 2005 Supercrew had an intimate encounter with a deer a week ago. That's too bad because I hoped to do a side-by-side comparison between it and this new model. The 2011 definately makes the 2005 feel 'dated'. The EcoBoost is VERY quite when not under boost. It works very smoothly with the 6-speed automatic. The power is impressive! It has instant torque that continues very linearly until redline. It feels as smooth as an electric motor, and goes through the gears very quickly. It is probably faster than a 5.7L Tundra, but is so much smoother and quieter that it is deceivingly fast. I still want to drive a 3.5 EB back-to-back against at 6.2 before making a purchasing decision.

This is my first attempt at posting a picture, so if it doesn't work... "Don't taze me bro!"

These trucks aren't disguised very well. LOL.
img3251r.jpg

By mustangc at 2010-11-16

Here's what's under the hood. Looks somewhat plain, but tasteful. It actually fills up the engine bay nicely.
img3253w.jpg

The intercooler is an air-to-air unit behind the rear bumper. My son is doing his best to try and hide it.
img3252h.jpg

Power Rake and Telescopic steering. Nav, heated front and rear seats. We're looking at a $50k truck here.
img3254jf.jpg

I will never own another truck that does not have one of these.
img3255v.jpg

Last edited:

JoeG

Established Member
I've been scheduled for a drive for a few weeks now. Can't wait to see it in person and take it for a spin.

powersof12

Established Member
My research so far looks like you can only get this ecoboost when ordering a regular cab if you get the long bed. I only get regular cab short bed pickups but really am looking forward to this engine. I am even thinking about 2WD just to get better highway mileage. I really am hoping for upper 20's MPG Highway.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My research so far looks like you can only get this ecoboost when ordering a regular cab if you get the long bed. I only get regular cab short bed pickups but really am looking forward to this engine. I am even thinking about 2WD just to get better highway mileage. I really am hoping for upper 20's MPG Highway.

That's the configuration I'd like to have.

powersof12

Established Member
No matter what F150 I choose to build, I only get 3.7V6, 5.0L, or 6.2L and the Ecoboost 3.5 is not an option. Maybe next month?

tallguy2.3

Established Member
I guess the Dearborn Truck Plant just started shipping the EB trucks about a week ago, so there could still be another month or two before they start showing up on dealer lots. I have no idea why it's not an option on the Ford site. Maybe they don't want you to configure something that's not released yet?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The option is there.

It is available on XL, XLT, and FX2 as far as I know. I have build configurations on all of those.

In XL you cannot get a standard cab short bed, only long bed. Also not available in crew cab XL at all. Is available in Ex Cab Long bed XL.

Available in most configurations in XLT, same with FX2.

One thing I did like about the 4x4 option was the optional gearing. You can get the ecoboost with 4.10's...sounds like fun.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
i drove one an eco boost, and a 5.0,back to back, off of a lot. I wouldnt count on upper 20's from the eco boost. i put about 20 miles on one and couldnt get it to average but 22 on the highway, that was after reseting it. Average will likely be 17-18.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I finally drove one. I'd get one if it wasn't for the price tag and first year run.

Impressive to me. Plenty of get-up for a big truck.

gr8snkbite

Established Member
Picked up my EB FX4 this past Sat.....what a fantastic truck. The three hour drive home from the dealership was pleasant to say the least. Truck handles great. Smooth shifting of the tranny, nice acceleration, and response was great. Pleased with decision to get. And actually saved just over 1/4 tank of gas compared to the old truck I gave them...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Picked up my EB FX4 this past Sat.....what a fantastic truck. The three hour drive home from the dealership was pleasant to say the least. Truck handles great. Smooth shifting of the tranny, nice acceleration, and response was great. Pleased with decision to get. And actually saved just over 1/4 tank of gas compared to the old truck I gave them...

Very good news.

Users who are viewing this thread