2011 Ecoboost F150 driving impressions

Dusten

Established Member
Today I was able to experience the 2011 F150 equiped with the new 3.5L Ecoboost and 6 speed transmission. As most of you know that anyone could sign up to have Ford deliever to you residents or place a buisness for a test drive. Ford is pushing the Ecoboost really hard. With the inclusion of trucks on upcoming CAFE laws affecting companys overal fuel economy rating its easy to see why. The Ecoboost is rated to tow the same amount as the 6.2L and do so getting much better fuel economy. You will be able to option the Ecoboost in the XL(reg cab/super cab), the XLT(all), the FX2/FX4(all), Lariat(all), king ranch, and platinum. {The 6.2 will be standard in Raptor and Harley-Davidson and optional in the Lariat(super crew) and Platinum.}

What was delivered to the house today was a loaded Platinum sporting the Ecoboost. Rated to tow 11,300 lbs and payload of 3,060(mind you the F250 PS payload is 2,430)

Bad stuff:
~You cant hear the turbos while inside the inclosed cabin.
~Back seat still does not lean back quite enough for my liking. Although much improved over earlier F150s still doesn't feel as comfortable as the F250. Could have given up an few inches of leg room to get a few degrees more angle. This is all subject to personal opinion and I'm a professional of MY opinion.
~Intake system will be a popular upgrade I believe on these trucks and they are going to be expensive for all the routing and tubing required espeacially on the inlet side of the turbos. How much power will that and tuning unleash?? I'd guess I fair amount to be worth it.
~Direct-Acting Mechanical Buckets(DAMB) instead of Hydrolic lash adjusters. Although as a great acronym this is going to cost you when you need to have them adjusted. Mazda and others use them and are suppose to an audible check every 75,000 miles(on Mazda) this runs about $4-600 if needing adjusted.
~Still some wind noise when riding in back seat. I believe that has more to do with Areodynamics more then anything else.
~Tailgate assist step still isnt standard. ALRIGHT this isn't bad persay but I just get so tired of going to the local dealers and either no trucks or the high end trucks have them. FORD DEALERS ORDER YOUR TRUCKS WITH THESE>Aftermarket if you can find a way to intergerate these into the older F150s. Making them as clean and functional as Ford, you'd make some money for sure(forget what Howie long and Government motors is jelous they didn't think of)
~The information center as a ton of options and menus. One could spend an hour just going through all of it easily.
~Turn signal took some getting used to as it always returned to the home position. So I found myself hitting it repeatedly when coming up to the turn(which would cancel it in 4 clicks as its programed to do as two quick bumps of the switch is to indicate to the computer overtaking cars or changing lanes) This can be trained out of your brain though after you get used to the new set-up and dont bounce back in forth between you own families cars.

Now the Good.
~YOU CAN HEAR THE TURBOS!!!! when you are outside of the truck as its driving away. Its faint I admit but a VERY nice surprise through the stock exhaust.
~The truck as a very nice tone inside and out when driving. You really dont have the buzzy exhaust note you expect from a V6 truck. Even with the 3.73 and 4.somthing first it doesn't sound like a wound up small displacement engine. It was mellow and much deeper then I expected. STILL not a V-8 sound that everyone is used to but a person not knowing it was a V6 wouldn't drive it and instantly reconize that.
~The seating postion is much more pleasent with giving off a little more feeling of setting in the truck instead of on the truck. The lowered seat position gives off a closer car vibe. Again this is supbject to personal taste and I really like it alot. The rear as a ton of leg room and flat loading.
~Those of you with a wife/GF/Kids will appreciate that you no longer have to flip a few levers to raise the back seat to untilize the rear storage in the cab. Just lift it up. Has a simple handle to lower it back into place after finished.
~The information center as a ton of information!! Once you figure out how to get to whatever information and diagnostics you want it is easily read on the fly while driving.(meaning park the thing until you get the menu you want pulled up then drive).
~You can store up to 10 different trailor settings on board.
~Mass air meter looked suffiecent in size.
~Air to air intercooler mounted in a place where it gets plenty of airflow.
~We were told this engine differs from the SHO on just about everything. Different block casting, beefier internals, different turbos, etc.(Not saying the SHO is bad just we are asking an essentially passenger car engine to do a MUCH more brutal and strenious task)
~Turbos are accessible with removal of the fenderwell liners.
~Turbos are watercooled and even circulate water after the truck is shutoff for a period of time to prevent "coking".
~the 365hp/420trq is rated on 87 octane and 12# of boost. So Premium fuel a tune and a few other mods one could start getting into a fun all around truck.
~Electric Pwr steering was very nice and has a drift function that corrects itself as your driving down bad road or windy conditions with trailer

I'm in the market for a truck and I was convinced I was buying a 2008-2010 6.4 Power stroke until I heard about the 6.2 and Ecoboost coming to the market. and after driving the Ecoboost today I must say it would serve every purpose I would have for the truck. It is getting very very serious consideration over the PS. Based on MY personal needs, maintenace and cost. Yes I generally live my life as excess is barely enough but I think the Ecoboost with a few mods would be a great choice also.(against my nature to leave any of MY vehicles stock).

Trucks are due to go on sale Febuary 2nd. Drive one and I think it will surprise you. Bring your check books if you are in the market for a new truck no matter what brand because you will want this one afterwards. It really blows away it competitors in its segment.

I have nothing to add to this, and agree with it all. We just picked ours up friday

Fang

Established Member
1800 miles on it now

Well, just went camping in my 2011 Platinum Ecoboost and all I can say is "Wow". Been bragging about it all day yesterday. I used to pull my pop up with the Lincoln Aviator with the 4.6 liter. Even the wife said "It doesn't even fell like anything is on the back. I know it is just a pop up camper but it is one of the larger ones. I think around 5-6K#. The Aviator would struggle up the Rocky Mountain overpasses; rapping out the engine at around 4-5K. This thing never even grunted. Smooth as silk and never got under 4th gear. I had to watch me speed going up the steep inclines and passing everyone. Could not be happier with this thing. Integrated trailer brake controls work like a charm. Downshifting on its own down the steep hills. Like I said it does everything for you. Ended up getting around 11 miles to the gallon. I am thinking about an ATV to put in the bed of it when going camping now.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Great write up, and I'm glad to see them offering the Ecoboost in all models now. When I was looking, they had it available in the XLT extended cab and higher only. I'm interested in getting into one early next year, hopefully. Was thinking of either the Laser Red looking color or the Bright Atlantic Blue looking color, straying away from black this time.

Dusten

Established Member
its called race red and flame blue. Im not a fan of the blue, i wanted Sterling Greey but couldnt find one, so i settled for Tuxedo Black(very cool black)

saleencobra

Established Member
i've got one in white FX4 fully loaded super crew. and my buddy has the same truck in sterling grey with the short bed. only pet peave is the hesitation to downshift t low rpm when givin half throttle. Need a tune!

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I got to test drive an FX2 crew cab on Monday, man I love that truck! The thing is pretty damn quick and lit the tires up in 1st from a roll! Traction control on to boot. Truck was very smooth, very quiet.

rocket91

Established Member
currently working at a ford dealership changing oil and i am starting to see more of these trucks. every time one comes thru i try and talk with the owner to see how they are liking the truck and if there is any complaints and have herd nothing but good with the exception of not being able to here the turbos unless the windows are down lol .

watsond25

Turbos

I just bought one of these trucks this past Wednesday. I can hear the turbos in mine as long as the radio is off. They kick in very well when it shifts from first to second gear especially when you give it some gas. Overall I am very impressed with this truck. It drives great and the performance is excellent!

TREV

Established Member
what can you do to hear the turbos? (anything aftermarket?)

how much is a good tune and does it make a difference?

watsond25

Right now there is not a tune available for the F150's with the Ecoboost engine in them. I've heard there are several companies close to getting it but nothing has hit the market yet. :cuss:

04torchred

Established Member
Sorry to bump this thread, but has anyone driven a 6.2L engine F150 and the 3.5L Ecoboost to comment on the differences.

I am more looking at how did/does it feel pulling a load (5000-6000lbs), how was the gas mileage, power delivery, etc.

I am looking to get a new truck next year and looking at my options. It will be a Ford F150 or I am considering a GMC Denali SUV(if we choose to go SUV) or half ton from GM with a 6.2L(if I can find one)

Leaning very heavily to the F150, just not sure on the engine... 3.5L Ecoboost or the 6.2L.

Thanks

Dusten

Established Member
I really see no need for the 6.2L in the halfton unless you have to have a v8 to tow with. the ecoboost tows the same, and my mileage with 6k behind my ecoboost was 12-13mpg, which is all the 6.2 does on a good day in a raptor

RedFlash

Established Member
Just my $.02, traded in our 2008 Armada which was killing us on gas (11mpg) for a new 2011 F-150 EB on Sept. 26th. Best MPG I have seen with cruise on at 65mph was 25.8mpg on my 32 mile commute from work (all interstate). Average in-town mileage is showing as 18.8 with only a drop in K&N.

As a 2001 Lightning owner, I can say the performance is quite impressive.

A Co-Worker of mine who has a Titan with K&N and Flowmasters decided to toy with me one night. As he approached his speed limiter at 110mph, I had at least a Truck length on him before he backed out. And just last weekend I lined up next to a early 2000's model Harley Davidson F-150. I had no intentions of racing him so he jumped me off the line and I put my foot in it. When my wife politely asked me to "Slow Down" at 100mph his tailgate was at my front bumper, but he was starting pull more steadily.

I also own a 21' Yamaha Boat which was a beast to tow with our Armada. Towed the boat to the lake in the EB and if you were blindfolded, you would have never known. If anyone has ever experienced the hills going from New Braunfels to Canyon Lake, you would know this is not a straight or level tow.

These things are strong!! I'm almost tempted to remove the Eco-Boost badges for the Sleeper factor, but this is our Family Truckster.

Last edited:

98ss88mm

Established Member
We have one as well, so far so good. Back seat wind noise is kind of ridiculous for a new car if you ask me, but thats a minimal complaint I suppose. 18-19mpg with easy driving and nothing over 70 on hwy. Crew Cab 4wd.

jonb347

Established Member
i drove both on the ford test track at our dealer event with three different gears each. the 6.2l feels like it has more torque and the thing hauls out, sounds better, etc. the 3.5l is pretty amazing though, unless you are towing tanks or something the better gas mileage and cheaper price way better.

Users who are viewing this thread