2011 F150 trans swap to already swapped 6R80 13 Boss? Issues?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
So I have a buddy with a 2011 F150 Truck and his 6R80 transmission is "not happy/broken in some way" would we be able to just swap transmissions and be good or will my ECU start freaking out or not be able to communicate with a different year transmission and or his 6R80?

I remember a lot of talk about if I have a 13 car I need a 13 transmission and ECU so this is why I think it'll end up more of a pain in the butt than anything else if I helped him out.

My car is a 6R80 swapped 13 Boss with a 13 built 6R80.
His truck is a 2011 F150 HD with a blower.

Thanks,

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Pretty sure you would be ok. Main difference is the shifter bracket stuff. Mustang has it embossed in the case along the rail where the truck comes in from the front/upper area.

My car has a 2012 F150 6R80 and I just had to use some different info for programming.

Another difference is the solenoid ID strategy on the side of the trans. Mustang has to use a mustang strategy and F150 needs to use a F150. The lockup rates are different or something iirc.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Yup. Already have one in mine. Minor differences between the two. Mine works like a champ!!

Chris Lister

Established Member
What all do I need to complete the process. I understand there is a bracket for the shifter but I thought I read about extra starter bolt? What about harness? Please and thanks

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Only three things different between the two transmissions. The shift bracket, shift lever(10 bucks from ford) and you need to use the solenoid strategy from a mustang trans.

Same driveshaft, same starter(no extra bolt?), same separator plate, crossmember, etc. swap is easy. Had it programmed in an hour and I'm no computer geek.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Chris, if you look at the pages towards the end of my build thread there are pictures and instructions on it.

If you have any other questions though, I'll answer them if I can. Swap wasn't bad at all. Should of done it before

Chris Lister

Established Member
Thanx for the info I got a 6r80 with converter for $600 got all other parts coming from tasca. Do i need to get a random # from 2013 auto for computer tune info?

Users who are viewing this thread